Us Airways' Rising Performance

US Airways first quarter loss occurred in January and February due to seasonal traffic, but more importantly due to the bankruptcy filing and passengers “booking awayâ€￾ from the company. Much of this was due to labor resistance to change, the S.1113 process and the uncertainty on whether or not the company would be flying past mid-January. Then to put “butts in the seatâ€￾ the company had a number of fare sales that further reduced revenue, but were necessary to comply with the ATSB minimum cash requirements and to regain passenger confidence.

Load factor has improved, the company’s May and June bookings are ahead of forecast, there have been six fare increases during the past two months, and passenger confidence that the airline will survive has improved.

If labor had participated in the restructuring sooner US Airways would be much better off, its financial performance would be stronger, and the employees may not have given a concession more than the company’s “askâ€￾.

Clearly the financial outlook is improving with the company informing the bankruptcy court in its Monthly Operating Report that the airline had $19.3 million in operating income and $65.1 million in net income for the month of March.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

L4P, you might get a chuckle out of this too. Here's some of his earlier work.

Deleted by Mod

Of poetic significance here is the name he chose to attach to his work:

Crystal Palace Court Jester!!!!! :eye: :mf_boff:

"someone close to the Usairways situation"

USA320Pilot said:
Meanwhile, the company has provided PHL with more GSE, it has begun the PHL gate area podium demolition/re-carpeting/re-wallpapering project similar in scope to the program recently completed in CLT
[post="266169"][/post]​

Oh, they did the demolition in PHL several months ago. We're still waiting on the re-carpeting though. <_<

Amazing how CLT looks good as new while PHL is still a wreck. Not that I'm surprised. :down:

PHL has begun the demolition, but its far from complete. A couple of gates on the "B" concourse have the podiums removed, at the end of the "C" concourse some of the electrical wiring and components have been removed, and the computers have been taken out. The majority of the work remains.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

the companies new "on time performance" program. Hmmm...looks earily familar to something they did 4 or 5 years ago....pax on board 10 mins prior...doors close....... Only this time we all get nice platic cards.....with each job function broken down to pre arrival, arrival, the s: etc etc. Wonder how much money was driven into this little project. A project that spells out nothing new to what has been drilled into anyone withing this company the past 10years, 20 years 40 years. I basically looks like a feel good motion, lacking of any fresh ideas of how to get the job done better. If we as front line employees didn't follow the little steps they outlined for us, we wouldn't be here. It's already being done. Management must give the tools to us to be able to improve what is already pretty much the best job that be done given the circumstances. Another BS plan/ feel good idea from CCY whcih is useless........another 10k down the drain if not more. Knowing this place it took 10 VP's on OT and etc etc..bussiness dinners, and drinks and who knows what else...for them to blow the dust off of procedures that have been around for years............help us

USA320Pilot said:
PHL has begun the demolition, but its far from complete. A couple of gates on the "B" concourse have the podiums removed, at the end of the "C" concourse some of the electrical wiring and components have been removed, and the computers have been taken out. The majority of the work remains.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="266196"][/post]​

I guess it's just part of the "Philly Phactor". Someone who works there daily can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that CLT started the process of moving the podiums after PHL did - certainly no sooner. Yet CLT is mostly finished and even has new gate signs over the jetway doors while PHL "has begun the demolition".

Maybe that "Southern hospitility" really is better than that "cool Northern efficiency" after all.....

Jim

700UW said:
Amsterdam and Manchester has ONE flight a day, woopie.
[post="266198"][/post]​

:D

You know, it is SO true. One flight a day and they have what, 3 hours to turn it? These stations are never told NOT to board a/c because PHL is in ground holds, don't have issues with conx pax, had empty planes for most of April, etc...

If it wasn't for the complete mismanagement of the mess that is the PHL hub, US would easily be #1 in OTP, have the least PAWOBS and fewest customer complaints of all major carriers. To be fair, some of the front line staff there are great and I really feel bad for them, but others just.... :shock:

CCY should have cleaned out that place with their ramp mafia and corrupt CSMs years ago, but oh wait, CCY is just as corrupt/mismanaged themselves.....

You can cheer for this outfit all you want. The facts will not change. Many if not most of your best customers are leaving. We are tired of waiting on this management team to show they have any operational accumen at all. I've added up over $750,000 in annual revenue that has left for greener pastures. I wonder how many I don't know have come to the same conclusion

You mention PHL and the gate areas. Do you have any clue how long these areas have been torn up and just sitting there. They have not lifted one finger since the podiums have been moved. How many thousands of pax have seen this and wondered just exactly what third world airline they have booked on

And why don't you answer the questions regarding the bags. What do you have to say to the customers on the flights to the Bahamas in which the pax were taking a cruise once there and not one single bag was loaded on the plane. I wonder when they will book another flight on US? I'm sure the plane left on time. I'm also sure that really didn't matter with no clothes for their cruise.

You don't get it. The only hope the employees of this airline have is a merger with some one who knows how to run an airline. You can put lipstick on this pig everyday with your post (and you have been for as long as I've been posting). And it has only become worse over that same period of time.

But in the end it is still a pig and no amount of lipstick will change that. But I know you're going to keep it up so pick a color.

Regards

l4pi

View attachment 2839

USA320Pilot said:
to the program recently completed in CLT (speaking of CLT, there is a new US Airways/Star Alliance wordmark, which has background lighting that is being tested on gate B2).
[post="266169"][/post]​

Like a new logo or new monitors?

USA320Pilot said:
Vendor cleaners are responsive, they do a good job,
[post="266169"][/post]​

My personal experience (actually spending time in the back of the plane) along with that of almost every US VFF with whom I communicate is exactly the opposite. The planes are, to put it kindly, a wreck.

USA320Pilot said:
Vendor cleaners are responsive, they do a good job, and along with flight crew tidying, the cleaning time has been reduced by 50%.
Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="266169"][/post]​
Since mainline Utility were only alloted 10 minutes or less to turn a plane and you say cleaning time has been reduced by 50% (5 minutes), no wonder why the planes are filthy.

USA320Pilot said:
US Airways first quarter loss occurred in January and February due to seasonal traffic, but more importantly due to the bankruptcy filing and passengers “booking awayâ€￾ from the company. Much of this was due to labor resistance to change, the S.1113 process and the uncertainty on whether or not the company would be flying past mid-January. Then to put “butts in the seatâ€￾ the company had a number of fare sales that further reduced revenue, but were necessary to comply with the ATSB minimum cash requirements and to regain passenger confidence.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="266189"][/post]​
Of course the "booking away" had nothing to do with the chairman of the company pledging to fold the operation if need be. You are first rate as a company mouthpiece and deserve all the feedback you get. Isn't it about time for another Observer commentary?
Like Crelin/Paladini/Glass You don't have the ability to "get" it.