DHG750R

Aug 23, 2002
Nuu Yawk
www.atlasair.com
from Flightglobal .
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/...-extension.html

Q100 operators consider Bombardier's life extension programme
By Mary Kirby

Bombardier's new Dash 8 Q100 life-extension programme has received a warm reception from two of the largest operators of the type in the world.

Air Canada Jazz and US Airways subsidiary Piedmont Airlines say that the programme is under consideration by management.

"We are certainly evaluating the proposal, but no decision has been made yet," says Jazz.

US Airways says: "We are aware of the life-extension programme. [It is] too early to say exactly how Piedmont would fit into the programme, but it's certainly something to work with if it's right."

A growing number of Q100s in operation today are coming close to crossing the current 80,000-cycle threshold. Bombardier's life-extension programme would increase the economic life of these aircraft by 50%, or to 120,000 cycles.

Jazz operates 36 Q100s, while Piedmont operates 40.

"Although we don't publicly disclose specific information regarding aircraft cycles, I will say that the Dash 8 Q100 aircraft in our fleet are not nearing their maximum life cycle in the near term," says the airline.

The programme may be making a particularly timely entrance, however. Piedmont in recent years contemplated replacing its Q100s with newer turboprops, but shelved those plans due to the current economic recession.

"There has been talk in recent years of a replacement fleet type at Piedmont, but that effort has been put on hold. When the economy recovers, the fleet-replacement effort will resume," says US Airways.

Bombardier says a single Q100 in the world fleet is expected to reach the 80,000-cycle threshold in 2010. From 2011 to 2019, however, the Canadian airframer expects 128 more will reach that point for a fleet total of 129.

Bombardier's historic deliveries for the Q100 total 299 aircraft.

No we don"t have Q's any more we operate DHC-8 102's & DHC-8 311's.

The DASH name was grandfathered from the DHC-7. Thats what i heard but if you know more please enlighten me :up:

Great,Island Air has the DHC-8 with the most cycles and we have the DHC-8 with the most time in the world (69000hrs). Making history every time it flys. :eek:

No we don"t have Q's any more we operate DHC-8 102's & DHC-8 311's.

The DASH name was grandfathered from the DHC-7. Thats what i heard but if you know more please enlighten me :up:

Great,Island Air has the DHC-8 with the most cycles and we have the DHC-8 with the most time in the world (69000hrs). Making history every time it flys. :eek:

DHC stood for DeHaviland Canada. The Twin Otter in the DHC-6. Their markering people thought "Dash" sounded better. Doe anyone other than Greenladair still still fly the Dash 7?

DHC stood for DeHaviland Canada. The Twin Otter in the DHC-6. Their markering people thought "Dash" sounded better. Doe anyone other than Greenladair still still fly the Dash 7?

I have never heard anyone say Dash 6, but I have heard Twater!! I think the UsArmy still has some Dash7's.
Everytime i here about this life extensions plan i think of that advert in the UsAirways magazine for Cenegenics with the 69 yr old Dr trying to look 30. :rolleyes:

The 7 leaving this fall are leased birds from the former allegheny fleet.They all have 800 tail numbers.The rest are company owned from what I hear.