Cabin Cleaner stole from Parked Planes

Big Bear

Jul 30, 2010
American Airline cabin cleaner stole items from parked planes. He had 41 years of service.

Here is the report from WFAA ABC Dallas

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Veteran-American-Airlines-worker-stole-from-parked-planes-101040874.html

I think we are going to see more of this in other work categories. I heard through the grapevine (oh, ok. It's galley gossip) that corporate security is going to go after the flight attendants who are supplementing their income by telling passengers who don't have credit cards, "Oh, ok. Just give me the money and I'll put your snack on my credit card." Then they somehow forget to pull out their credit card and swipe it. :eek:

Setting my watch now to see how many hours it takes before someone defends outright theft (bonus points for anyone who blames management).

Why, don't you know, E? Employees, particularly unionized employees, are like the Virgin Mary...without sin or error. By definition, it's always management's fault. Good one, though. :lol:

Not gonna hear it from me... I hate stories like this; they just make everyone look bad.

When people find out I'm a crew chief on the ramp (at NW, now DL), they invariably ask two questions:

1. Do you go through people's stuff?

and

2. Can you score me free tickets?

The answer to both is "no."

Someday, I hope to have the conversation w/o #1 coming up....

Setting my watch now to see how many hours it takes before someone defends outright theft (bonus points for anyone who blames management).

I blame management, the cutbacks, management bonuses, ronald regan for firing the controllers, the csm who hired him, whoever did the background check, his parents, ect.

I want my BONUS points E! :p

Not gonna hear it from me... I hate stories like this; they just make everyone look bad.

When people find out I'm a crew chief on the ramp (at NW, now DL), they invariably ask two questions:

1. Do you go through people's stuff?

and

2. Can you score me free tickets?

The answer to both is "no."

Someday, I hope to have the conversation w/o #1 coming up....

All joking aside now. I don't condone this guys actions in any way or any other person that is a skell thief. Kev, I have to agree with you on those two questions. I answer "no" to both too.

On the subject of skells in the airport. I've seen my fair share of them over my 23 years. Thiefs, drug runners, low lifes, ect.....the list can go on and on. I've also met some nice honest people too. Sorry to say but the bad outweighed the good in my experiences there.

It's my understanding he was set up after being watched for a long while. Im surprised he was the only one that got caught.

Boggles my mind why AA doesn't set up controlled exits along with controlled entry points for all ramp side ground personnel.

You get checked going in, and you get checked going out.

Boggles my mind why AA doesn't set up controlled exits along with controlled entry points for all ramp side ground personnel.

You get checked going in, and you get checked going out.

There isn't anything that can't be foiled, so a company the size of AA has to rely on the Honor System, or spend billions of needed money to set up a new mouse trap. Since most of the stolen booty is liquor, chances are these bad apples also have a booze problem.

Why not introduce and or increase random drug and alcohol testing on all levels of operations including, stores, fleet and maintenance?

There isn't anything that can't be foiled, so a company the size of AA has to rely on the Honor System, or spend billions of needed money to set up a new mouse trap. Since most of the stolen booty is liquor, chances are these bad apples also have a booze problem.

Why not introduce and or increase random drug and alcohol testing on all levels of operations including, stores, fleet and maintenance?

Liquor isn't a big deal anymore, it's all the PED's left behind by passengers. The guy that got caught was made an example of because he had 41 years seniority, but you never hear about the other hundred that get fired each year for the same thing. Unfortunatley, im not sure there's a effective way to stop or control theft of any sort on an empty plane parked for a fews hours unattented.

Liquor isn't a big deal anymore, it's all the PED's left behind by passengers. The guy that got caught was made an example of because he had 41 years seniority, but you never hear about the other hundred that get fired each year for the same thing. Unfortunatley, im not sure there's a effective way to stop or control theft of any sort on an empty plane parked for a fews hours unattented.

I beg to differ but PEDs or whatever you call them don't affect the bottom line, these items really can't be traced back to the airlines, as fellow passengers are just as happy to pocket a IPOD as are SkyChefs, and all the other contractors that frequent the aircraft after landing. If you happen to be a good employee and turn in a PED to an gate agent or flight attendant, chances are the item will never make it to lost and found anyway. There is no receipt system, or sign off, when you do turn in such an item.

Liquor, is a highly negotiable item, it can be consumed or resold onboard, at the gate, and in the locker room, it can be transported home to be consumed later, at tail-gate parties, and it can be sold to local liquor stores, who mark these items up greatly.

AA has failed in protecting these items onboard, F/As have been known to load up, just prior to landing, there is no paper chase, no inventory.

Funny, :blink: AA cracked down on a FSC employee who was taking empty plastic bottles home for recycling, and doesn't do anything to employees who steals 100's of Liquor miniatures daily.

Unfortunatley, im not sure there's a effective way to stop or control theft of any sort on an empty plane parked for a fews hours unattented.

First, where is the problem? If most of the problem is with cleaners and those in contact with the bags (anecdotally, I know of one station that seems to loot bags), then those groups get a particular exit point. At that point (s), 1 out of 3,4,5, or 6 get red flagged by a light, their bags get x-rayed and the person gets a wand check. Got a laptop, Kindle, Camcorder? the serial number gets logged.

AA has a crap reputation for shipping anything of value in cargo. That also includes fragile items when literally tossed about like the chimp in the old Samsonite commercials.

Let's not forget to check the so-called "management" - I wonder how many of those twits would test positive for executive "nose candy" since they're not subject to the testing?

Back