Caribbean A300 Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAG2000

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
I was looking at a seat map for a flight from JFK to MBJ in January, and it appears that the the front part of what is designated as the coach cabin has a 2-2-2 layout. Does this mean that the plane is a 3-class aircraft that was formerly used across the Atlantic but hasn''t been reconfigured yet? It seemed strange, because it doesn''t look anything like the standard A300 configuration on the website.
I''d appreciate any insight anyone here might be able to provide!

It could be. Two of the 3 class aircraft are in storage at ROW, one is in TUL for a MBV (and will presumably be reconfigured into the two class config when it returns to service), but the other seven appear to still be out and about the Caribbean...

I should know this, but where is ROW???

Also, anyone have a tally of the # of a/c that are actually currently in storage?

I figure the
8 ex TWA 763s
2 TWA MD83s at TUL
and these 2 A300s.

AFAIK, all of the F100s have returned to service.

There was an article in the New York Post a week ago saying how AA only uses the A300 to the Caribean and South America because of its bad safety record. AA did use the airplane for a few years from JFK/BOS to LHR but this was only as a interim measure. These flights were scheduled to be stopped before the Crash in New York november of last year. They were stopped( as scheduled) In January 2002. This is because AA recieved enough 777's to start BOS - LHR with 777's.

A300-600R's, while Transatlantic capable, were really not designed for that use. AA bought them in 1988 for the Caribean because they have large cargo capacity necessary for that market. They were purchased for AA San Juan hub where they are used extensively. When AA purchased the Miami operations of Eastern, the A300's also became one type to be used extensively in the region. This plane was NOT purchased by AA for European routes and then moved to a lower profile destination like Santo Domingo, as some have hypothesized.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/17/2002 4:29:21 PM JFK777 wrote:

A300-600R's, while Transatlantic capable, were really not designed for that use. AA bought them in 1988 for the Caribean because they have large cargo capacity necessary for that market.
----------------
[/blockquote]

I could be off base here, but if I remember correctly, the AA Airbus purchase coincided nicely with the route awards they received for service to points in Europe, particularly places like Spain, France and Germany, where the owners of Airbus are located. Can anybody verify this?

Thanks,

mAArky

Typical New York Post..............Baiting like a tabloid. JFK777 exactly right. The A300 is an ideal aircraft for the Caribbean. Seating and cargo capacity fit the bill well. Flt 587 was an accident probably caused by several factors. If the A300 had a serious design flaw, this may have happened sooner. AA flies this aircraft all day long. Airbus had designed this aircraft for lower altitude operations like a large puddle jumper. That's why they designed the wing the way they did. It was never meant for long range flight. When AA began flying this aircraft to LHR, the fuel requirements became critical. It just cannot attain the altitudes to become fuel conservative.

I've seen the same faulty hypothesis elsewhere, too--I can't remember where, maybe a Reuters or AP article on the web. There is no question that AA announced that it was switching all the A300's back to Caribbean service well before the crash. The timing was purely coincidental, but to a reporter digging for dirt, I can imagine how it might have seemed significant.

Mr. Markey,

In 1988 when AA got 25 A300 walk-away leases they also 15 767-300ER under a similar deal. These were AA's first 15 767-300ER's. The 767's are the planes that were always intended to go to Europe. They all were delivered as 3-class airplanes. Some have been modified for Hawaii service and the rest are going to Business and coach as @-class international planes. With 777, the big jets fly to NRT and LHR which are the two primary 3-class destinations. A300 were always to fly only in the Americas, they just took up duty to LHR temporarily.

I don't think Mr. Marky meant that the A300's were intended to FLY to those places. I think he was implying that AA received political favor from the Airbus governments in exchange for buying their planes.

While I am in no way qualified to answer, it wouldn't surprise me. However, I think it was mainly a combination of a sweet deal from Airbus, and the A300's undeniable suitability for the Caribbean routes.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/18/2002 6:18:35 PM AAG2000 wrote:

I don't think Mr. Marky meant that the A300's were intended to FLY to those places. I think he was implying that AA received political favor from the Airbus governments in exchange for buying their planes.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Yes, AAG2000, that is what I was asking. I recall being told that by someone in the industry at the time of the AA Airbus purchase. I don't know if it was just speculation or if there was substance to it. But it does seem to coincide with AA's European expansion at a time well before open skies agreements were in place.

Thanks,

mAArky

Status
Not open for further replies.