ch7-what if?

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/18/2002 10:54:37 AM N305AS wrote:
[P]You can't use bankruptcy (Chapter 11 or 7) to abrogate contracts. This means that in order for US Airways to shut down and re-open under new workrules, they'd have to:[BR][BR]1. Open under a brand new name.[BR][BR]2. Legally transfer assets to the new company via liquidation of US Airways[BR][BR]3. Obtain a wholly new operating certificate or fly under someone else's.[BR][BR]----------------[/P][/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]A. Does MDA have an operating certificate?[BR][BR]B. Where is Potomac Air's certificate?[/P]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/18/2002 10:35:32 AM DELLDUDE wrote:

whats the chance bronner forces us into '7' ,shuts down then starts back up free of all contracts and the like.is this viable?

You have great insight....PSA did something like this during a pilot strike. Shutdown and then reopen cities slowly as they called back agents by senority as needed.....in this scenario my guess would be callback and offered new wages, benefits, etc....

You can't use bankruptcy (Chapter 11 or 7) to abrogate contracts. This means that in order for US Airways to shut down and re-open under new workrules, they'd have to:

1. Open under a brand new name.

2. Legally transfer assets to the new company via liquidation of US Airways

3. Obtain a wholly new operating certificate or fly under someone else's.

In other words, the new company would have to legally be an entirely different entity.

At least that's my understanding of how this would work. If anyone has further information, please elaborate.

I'm betting that Dave already has a worst-case-scenario plan in place that would deal with an orderly shutdown and liquidation of the company. In all likelihood, you'll see scheduled flights taking customers to their destinations AWAY from the hubs, and then empty flights ferried back in to the hubs, with deadheading crewmembers aboard (There's no sense in leaving thousands of connecting passengers stranded at hubs that no longer have activity, save for a handful of flights on other carriers).

The Shuttle will probably continue operating to minimize any dropoff in traffic, helping to keep its value up for a sale. Shutting it down would decrease its value in a liquidation, so you'll more than likely see those flights continuing to operate, barring any work stoppages in sympathy for the mainline workers.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/18/2002 10:54:37 AM N305AS wrote:

I'm betting that Dave already has a worst-case-scenario plan in place that would deal with an orderly shutdown and liquidation of the company. In all likelihood, you'll see scheduled flights taking customers to their destinations AWAY from the hubs, and then empty flights ferried back in to the hubs, with deadheading crewmembers aboard (There's no sense in leaving thousands of connecting passengers stranded at hubs that no longer have activity, save for a handful of flights on other carriers).

The Shuttle will probably continue operating to minimize any dropoff in traffic, helping to keep its value up for a sale. Shutting it down would decrease its value in a liquidation, so you'll more than likely see those flights continuing to operate, barring any work stoppages in sympathy for the mainline workers.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Has Dave EVER had a worse-case scenario plan? I think a shutdown would be a total mess, with thousands stranded. The company has already tried to keep this discussion really quiet, but they have a proven track record at lying until the deed is done (read Tampa Maintenance, for example). So, it wouldn't suprise me if the only plan is one morning, we wake up and US Airways doesn't exist.

However, here is our worst case scenario plan: If it appears that a shut down is immenent, WE STOP COMING TO WORK! Let's face it, we can't do anything for them to fire us - we're history anyway. Severance is probably not going to happen either. So, I recommend we drop the whole smoking bomb in managements' lap. If the company begins to prepare for a shutdown next week, we launch a preemptive strike and walk off. Every employee, every division, every station. Let managment work through the holidays. Imagine the hell that will break loose when there is no one at res, no one at the counters, no one to answer questions. Guess management will have to fix their little problem! That would be a beautiful thing!!!!

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/18/2002 11:07:19 AM ITRADE wrote:
[P][BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/18/2002 10:54:37 AM N305AS wrote: [BR][BR]You can't use bankruptcy (Chapter 11 or 7) to abrogate contracts. This means that in order for US Airways to shut down and re-open under new workrules, they'd have to:[BR][BR]1. Open under a brand new name.[BR][BR]2. Legally transfer assets to the new company via liquidation of US Airways[BR][BR]3. Obtain a wholly new operating certificate or fly under someone else's.[BR][BR]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE][BR][BR]A. Does MDA have an operating certificate?[BR][BR]B. Where is Potomac Air's certificate?
[P][/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]airlinecodes.co.uk/newairline.html-says U got old potomac air certificate during failed UAL merger.so theres an out then??

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/18/2002 10:54:37 AM N305AS wrote:
[P]You can't use bankruptcy (Chapter 11 or 7) to abrogate contracts. This means that in order for US Airways to shut down and re-open under new workrules, they'd have to:[BR][BR]1. Open under a brand new name.[BR][BR]2. Legally transfer assets to the new company via liquidation of US Airways[BR][BR]3. Obtain a wholly new operating certificate or fly under someone else's.[BR][BR]In other words, the new company would have to legally be an entirely different entity.[BR][BR]At least that's my understanding of how this would work. If anyone has further information, please elaborate.[BR][BR][BR]I'm betting that Dave already has a worst-case-scenario plan in place that would deal with an orderly shutdown and liquidation of the company. In all likelihood, you'll see scheduled flights taking customers to their destinations AWAY from the hubs, and then empty flights ferried back in to the hubs, with deadheading crewmembers aboard (There's no sense in leaving thousands of connecting passengers stranded at hubs that no longer have activity, save for a handful of flights on other carriers).[BR][BR]The Shuttle will probably continue operating to minimize any dropoff in traffic, helping to keep its value up for a sale. Shutting it down would decrease its value in a liquidation, so you'll more than likely see those flights continuing to operate, barring any work stoppages in sympathy for the mainline workers.[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]DOES mda HAVE A SEPARATE CERTIFICATE?SOMEONE WAS WONDERING WHERE THEY WERE GETTING OPERATING CAPITAL A WHILE BACK.

It was posted on another thread for this board some time ago that U had an operating certificate which they wanted dormant until April of '03.
----------------------------------------------------------
11/28/2002 10:32:48 PM
Rob Member

Total Posts: 40
Last Post: 12/16/2002
Member #: 39

"...why is mgmnt staffing MDA and they dont even have their operating certificate?"

They do, actually. They bought the certificate of Paradise Island Airlines f/k/a Chalk's International for Potomac Air Inc. and then transferred it from Potomac to MidAtlantic. US just asked DOT's permission to allow the certificate to remain dormant until April, 2003.

I'm not sure what's magic about April, since they have already said they won't fire up MDA until the second half of '03.

Rob

An orderly shutdown? How about the crews and mechanics and agents...who is going to pay them? I for one will not fly if I am not getting paid; even if it is a ferry back to a hub. 22 days and counting and I am out of here!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/18/2002 12:13:36 PM totobird wrote:

DELLDUDE I think you hit the nail on the head.

The plan all along has been to break the contracts and start all over as a low cost carrier under a new name.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Bingo!

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/18/2002 7:09:51 PM gateagent wrote:
[P]delldude did u ever work at rdu[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P][STRONG]no sir...[/STRONG]