CHAOS COMING?

Founded in 1934, the Transport Workers Union represents nearly 125,000 workers in the nation's transportation industries, including 55,000 workers in the airline and government service industry in virtually all Class and Crafts. The Air Transport Division represents 42 Locals with 59 labor contracts. The Airline Division Web site is www.twuatd.org.
But meanwhile there are twu members at NWA scabbing every day for over a year now. Also they look the other way as NWA scabs do contract work on AA planes in some of our non-maintenance staffed stations.

If NWA has imposed new work rules and is violating the contract I would start using up my sick time.
Last time I checked they cant fire you for calling in sick.
Do it 3 or 4 hundred people at a time throught the week.

Whatever you do good luck.

You actually should have walked with the Mechanics
but I guess you thought you were untouchable.

The pilots are next one workgroup at a time. Until you all fold.

And NHBB before you pin this on Bush, remember that the US has 3 branches of government and the Executive branch is very often at odds with the judicial branch. It is the courts that are holding this situation in their hands.

WT, that's not much of an argument. The republicans hold all three branches of government and, unfortunately, Bush is their leader. In addition, the Justice Department, part of the executive branch, asked the court to block a strike. While Bush may not have direct control over this judge, he and his republican followers wield a lot of power and can surely impact the ruling.

You actually should have walked with the Mechanics
but I guess you thought you were untouchable.

I've heard this type of thing many times, but could the FAs have gone on strike with the mechanics? At the time, the FAs had a valid contract and would have had to go through the RLA steps before striking, wouldn't they?

And they think they should collect dues why?
The legal representation NW F/As have been getting from AFA is very expensive. You may not think AFA is doing a good job, but litigation is very costly. Someone's paying for that, one way or the other.

The legal representation NW F/As have been getting from AFA is very expensive. You may not think AFA is doing a good job, but litigation is very costly. Someone's paying for that, one way or the other.

So it is a sound business decision.

:p UT

NW f/as do not pay dues until they achieve a new contract. I am sure AFA/CWA is paying through the wazoo, but that's what union representation is all about, and that is the major reason why union dues are collected...for these kind of times.

So it is a sound business decision.
Sorry, but what is the "it" in your sentence?

And why is "business" in large letters?

NW f/as do not pay dues until they achieve a new contract.
Yes, thanks, I am aware of AFA's policy w/r/t new carriers.

I was responding more to the notion that AFA hasn't "done" anything for the NW F/As. Fact is, NW F/As are getting fairly costly legal representation for free right now.

Whatever happened to the days of the spontaneous job action like a WILDCAT Strike? Regardless of legality of the job action, something needs to be done now before managment could hire more scabs.

My inference to ‘it’ as in the decision to accept the court decision not to CHAOS/Strike, or whatever.
The reason for the word ‘business’ being in large letters is to emphasize that the decision not to pursue other legal alternatives (it) is based on an entirely business decision to protect the income of the AFA which may not be in the best interest of the membership and not in the interest of unionism.

This is not an uncommon tactic for the onion to suck the dues from their membership and provide little to zero concern for their membership (remember? I was iam once so I know how it works).

I was responding more to the notion that AFA hasn't "done" anything for the NW F/As. Fact is, NW F/As are getting fairly costly legal representation for free right now.

What a great ‘business’ that you are running. Did you inform your new NWA FAs of your concern in your business meating, or did you give them the sweat talking rhetoric that is most common with liars?

Unions in this country are dying JMHO mainly because you treat your membership as ignorant lemmings.

(Damn where is the FU Icon?)

Yes, thanks, I am aware of AFA's policy w/r/t new carriers.

Didnt the AFA want to represent NW f/a's? And wasnt this situation fullblown when they took over as their union? They knew what they were getting and they should have been better prepared for this. They should have dues and strike funds ready to support the f/a's thru this. The others that they represent should be shaking in their boots watching how this is going down.

My inference to ‘it’ as in the decision to accept the court decision not to CHAOS/Strike, or whatever.
I am not sure what you mean by "accepting" the decision. I imagine AFA is examinging its legal alternatives.

In any case, if you are suggesting they should go ahead with CHAOS despite the injunction, I disagree and I would call deciding to not disobey a court order and thereby avoid getting thrown in jail or fined in contempt to be mostly a matter of simple common sense on the part of union leadership and sound legal advice, rather than simply a "business" decision.

The reason for the word ‘business’ being in large letters is to emphasize that the decision not to pursue other legal alternatives (it) is based on an entirely business decision to protect the income of the AFA which may not be in the best interest of the membership and not in the interest of unionism.
Ah, I see. So you are saying it would be more in the interest of the membership to risk a fine for contempt that may have to be paid with union dues?

What a great ‘business’ that you are running.
Sorry, I am not "running" AFA. I have nothing to do with AFA.

Did you inform your new NWA FAs of your concern in your business meating, or did you give them the sweat talking rhetoric that is most common with liars?
"Meating"? Is that like "steak-ing" or "chicken-ing"? And "sweat-talking"? Do you mean "meeting" and "sweet talking"? :p

Even if it does, I still don't understand what you are getting at.

Unions in this country are dying JMHO mainly because you treat your membership as ignorant lemmings.
Unions are dying for many reasons. It is true that one of those reasons is that the membership is largely made up of ignorant lemmings -- but that only reflects the population at large. (And who is this "you" you keep referring to? I have nothing to do with running a union.)

Didnt the AFA want to represent NW f/a's? And wasnt this situation fullblown when they took over as their union? They knew what they were getting and they should have been better prepared for this. They should have dues and strike funds ready to support the f/a's thru this. The others that they represent should be shaking in their boots watching how this is going down.
I don't follow. If a court says, "Don't do this at this time or you'll be in deep doo-doo," you don't do it. Your anger about a court decision should be directed at the court, not at AFA.

A union can be as prepared as it wants to be, and have a massive strike fund, but if a judge enjoins the union from striking, the union doesn't strike (unless the union wants to risk a fine to be paid by dues and the union leaders want to risk being personally fined and spending time in jail).

Whether the judge lets the AFA at NW strike or not, I think that the AFA may still get at least a portion of their desired results. Think about it....would you at least think twice about booking a flight on NW over the next couple of weeks with all of this stuff going on? If you were a business person who needed to get to LGA next week, are you going to take a roll of the dice with NW or book with someone else until the judge makes some sort of ruling, possibly as early as next week? I bet the "book away" is costing them millions of dollars, if not 10's of millions.

Whether the judge lets the AFA at NW strike or not, I think that the AFA may still get at least a portion of their desired results. Think about it....would you at least think twice about booking a flight on NW over the next couple of weeks with all of this stuff going on? If you were a business person who needed to get to LGA next week, are you going to take a roll of the dice with NW or book with someone else until the judge makes some sort of ruling, possibly as early as next week? I bet the "book away" is costing them millions of dollars, if not 10's of millions.

Yea, right.
And what do you base this on? :blink:

Anyone else wanna bet that a bunch of FAs implement their own rogue CHAOS tonight and this weekend anyway?

Anyone else wanna bet that a bunch of FAs implement their own rogue CHAOS tonight and this weekend anyway?
I'll bet they won't.

Admittedly I am only a distant outside observer, but from what I can tell, I don't really detect any fire from the NW F/As to lay their jobs on the line for this.

I could be wrong though . . .

Latest posts

Back