"The days of airlines being fun and lucrative, that's over," said aviation industry consultant Mike

I can hear your frustration...

However, you convey on here that you are holding you 8th choice, but yet you were hired 6 years ago. What's the complaint with your union if you are holding your choice? How are your interests not being served?

If you feel that your dues are wasted, either gather up the support from folks who share your view point and make change and/or run for office, instead of complaining.

Pitbull, you are one of the people I most admire in this industry because you do and did fight for change. That is not the practice of the APFA at AA--at least, not in the time I have been here. They pretty much roll over and play dead anytime the company asks.

As far as getting involved and effecting change...
As I posted before, the headquarters group made it clear that my job as a junior f/a was to pay my dues and keep my mouth shut. The base rep at STL is a former TWA f/a who is actually on furlough right now. He was elected because the former TW flight attendants who are all on furlough still have voting rights--and, don't get me wrong, I have no problem with this.

But, he is just one member of the board, and almost everything he says at board meeting is suspect BECAUSE he is former TWA. Most of the other people at my seniority are at LGA. I've never gotten the impression that the LGA reps are anymore concerned with the issues of junior flight attendants than the ones at DFW, ORD, or LAX which are the most senior bases.

The line that I am holding or not is not my issue with the union. As I said before, I am neither stupid nor deluded. I am well aware that seniority rules in this business. My issue is the APFA's willingness--almost eagerness--to throw junior flight attendants under the bus at the slightest provocation.

Examples:
1. During the RPA negotiations with the company in the Spring of 2003, APFA voluntarily gave up furlough pay--1 month base pay for every year of service up to 3 years IIRC--with nothing from the company in return. Now, I don't know for sure, but the general opinion on this is that it was done to "punish" the former TW f/as who were the great majority of the f/as who were later to be furloughed in July, 2003. I was just collateral damage because I happened to be furloughed at the same time.

The APFA never considered the fact that they opened the door for the company to do seasonal furloughs in the future because it won't cost them anything to do so. And, I'm sure you will agree that we will probably NEVER get furlough pay back.
2. See Line 2000 controversy for another example of APFA's disdain for junior f/as.
3. As I posted before, Frontier and SWA f/as regardless of seniority can fly free in coach on AA. AA f/as with less than 5 years have to pay service charges.

I find that surprising, given AA’s reputation.

There was an article on AA New Hire training in one of the travels mags around 6-7 years ago.

I'm not saying that they would hire someone with a felony on their record. I'm just saying that technically it's not necessarily a showstopper. They give you a list of felonies that would absolutely prohibit you from being hired.

Actually, I think it's a violation of one of the Civil Rights laws to refuse to hire someone with a felony background as long as they have served their time; unless there is a compelling reason--such as, banks don't have to hire former check forgers or bank robbers. :lol:

I'm not saying that they would hire someone with a felony on their record. I'm just saying that technically it's not necessarily a showstopper. They give you a list of felonies that would absolutely prohibit you from being hired.

Actually, I think it's a violation of one of the Civil Rights laws to refuse to hire someone with a felony background as long as they have served their time; unless there is a compelling reason--such as, banks don't have to hire former check forgers or bank robbers. :lol:
Sounds believable to me, look at the same management crooks that continually go from airline to airline.

Pitbull, you are one of the people I most admire in this industry because you do and did fight for change. That is not the practice of the APFA at AA--at least, not in the time I have been here. They pretty much roll over and play dead anytime the company asks.

As far as getting involved and effecting change...
As I posted before, the headquarters group made it clear that my job as a junior f/a was to pay my dues and keep my mouth shut. The base rep at STL is a former TWA f/a who is actually on furlough right now. He was elected because the former TW flight attendants who are all on furlough still have voting rights--and, don't get me wrong, I have no problem with this.

But, he is just one member of the board, and almost everything he says at board meeting is suspect BECAUSE he is former TWA. Most of the other people at my seniority are at LGA. I've never gotten the impression that the LGA reps are anymore concerned with the issues of junior flight attendants than the ones at DFW, ORD, or LAX which are the most senior bases.

The line that I am holding or not is not my issue with the union. As I said before, I am neither stupid nor deluded. I am well aware that seniority rules in this business. My issue is the APFA's willingness--almost eagerness--to throw junior flight attendants under the bus at the slightest provocation.

Examples:
1. During the RPA negotiations with the company in the Spring of 2003, APFA voluntarily gave up furlough pay--1 month base pay for every year of service up to 3 years IIRC--with nothing from the company in return. Now, I don't know for sure, but the general opinion on this is that it was done to "punish" the former TW f/as who were the great majority of the f/as who were later to be furloughed in July, 2003. I was just collateral damage because I happened to be furloughed at the same time.

The APFA never considered the fact that they opened the door for the company to do seasonal furloughs in the future because it won't cost them anything to do so. And, I'm sure you will agree that we will probably NEVER get furlough pay back.
2. See Line 2000 controversy for another example of APFA's disdain for junior f/as.
3. As I posted before, Frontier and SWA f/as regardless of seniority can fly free in coach on AA. AA f/as with less than 5 years have to pay service charges.

Without a doubt, you won't get furlough pay again in a future negotiation...that's really bad.

The TW f/a that is a base rep and on furlough should not be holding the seat, unless he/she continue to pay dues. And the TWA f/as who are furlough should have NO voting rights unless they had continued to pay dues. If they have voting rights without paying dues, then then your Bylaws need to be amended.

I think you maybe getting shafted by your union if they give voting rights and hold positions to those who are on furlough who don't pay any dues to maintain "active member status".

I remember when it was so bad with the previous MEC in the late 90s and right before we wiped them out in an election. Sometimes there calls for drastic measures to first wipe out the incombants. I would educate myself on the bylaws on how to recall local officers. Then act on gathering support. I know this is a major challenge and undertaking, but it sounds that your representation is getting a free ride, and making no waves with your management. What ever you do... be vocal; not silent. The louder you are with your union, the more they will feel challenged and pay attention, specifically if you rally a few more vocal/locals.

AA was not in BK, and I can only think that they threatened the unions that it would be worse in BK, so your leadership started buckle eliminating provisions that would have protected workers and prevented furloughs.at will.

In our MEC, we thought of new provisions that gave the company some relief, but maintained as much protection as we could hold on to. It was difficult in BK, and the wage decrease and cost for benefits applied to the employee was really harsh, but we fought like hell. I think that most of the f/a group at U would agree in retrospect. We gave our management a lot of HELL, and took it to the media and public scrutiny every chance we got. I really believe that many of the Execs at the East U didn't get positions because their reputation was so horrific from the public/customer knowledge of the perception that the managment was totally enept. I feel some vindication for this.

Latest posts