Check In Times

Harry Callahan

Veteran
Sep 16, 2002
Your rearview mirror
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the psgr check in times in CLT is still 30 Min. Anyway, it needs to be longer. Local check bags are missing because they are too dumb to get to the airport on time or the TSA (morons) are taking WAY TO LONG to screen the bags. Maybe a combo of both. Anyway more time is needed.

I showed up for a flight on a thursday afternoon @ 16:00 and there was a 25 min wait then. I had a small problem and asked for some help, I was told by the lady running the line that I would have to speak to an agent. I asked her...what about you..?? She informed my she was not an agent. I looked up and there was TWO CS AGENTS running the entire counter. SAD

SL

Hey it's not just CLT that needs to change check-in times. BWI is very bad also. We have over 45 mins of wait time just in the security line sometimes all day long. We leave customers behind almost everyday all day long. We check them in until 30 minutes before departure giving them the impression they are going to make it. Some never do. Left 10 or more people and their bags off numerous flights the last couple of years. How many return customers do you think we made there.

In this day and age and with the huge and repetitive amount of media attention given to when pax shd arr. at airport (1-2 hrs before), not to mention what is written on the airline and retail tkt websites, the stragglers who show up late(aside from the occasional circumstantial major traffic jams) deserve to be left off flts with no bags, IMO.

PIT is a problem too with bags. Checking in is no problem, but the TSA idiots take forever with bags. I've had my bags not make the flight out of PIT twice in the last few months, both times checking them ~45 minutes before departure. 30 minutes prior is just crazy for accepting bags.

The TSA in CLT are morons. I can't understand why the largest carrier in the airport can't sit down with TSA management there to see why the dumbest of them can't be given their McDonald's uniforms back.

Because the former 2nd in command of US Airways in CLT works for the TSA.

When there has been a security incident where US would have been at fault, this former US Manager seems to cover it up so no one finds out about it.

Things that make you go Hmmmm....

700UW said:
Because the former 2nd in command of US Airways in CLT works for the TSA.

When there has been a security incident where US would have been at fault, this former US Manager seems to cover it up so no one finds out about it.

Things that make you go Hmmmm....
[post="275441"][/post]​

I can put a GREAT BIG SECOND to this post.

Don't feel rained on. I have TSA procedures concerns about AA locations also. My main concern is lack of consistency from one airport to the next.

1. For instance, at BHM there is someone standing at the beginning of the maze checking ids and boarding passes. After you walk through the scanner, you have to show the exact same documents to someone standing on the other side of the scanner! It takes forever to get through with this double hold-up because most people put their picture id back into their wallet/purse and send it through the scanner. No one at the beginning of the maze bothers to tell them to hold onto their picture id and boarding pass.

2. At SEA, if I have nail clippers in my Dopp kit, my bag gets searched. This is the only airport this happens in. Last time through SEA, the TSA at my line searched me (I was in uniform with my airline id badge hanging around my neck), an elderly woman who could barely stand unaided, and a child at the same time--obvious security risks all.

3. At some airports, everyone has to remove their shoes. At others, everyone except airline employees in uniform. At others, no one has to remove their shoes unless they cause the scanner to beep.

4. A friend had a pair of blunt-nosed embroidery scissors--5 inches long from finger holes to end of "blade"--confiscated. Yet, women can bring 24 inch long steel knitting needles on board.

One could go on all day with similar examples. No two airports are the same.

Another TSA mystery:

They don't allow lighters on a/c because they can be dangerous. Lighters create flame, and thus fire. Well genius, so do matches. Are they banned too? NOPE!

jimntx said:
Don't feel rained on. I have TSA procedures concerns about AA locations also. My main concern is lack of consistency from one airport to the next.

At some airports, everyone has to remove their shoes. At others, everyone except airline employees in uniform. At others, no one has to remove their shoes unless they cause the scanner to beep.

SpinDoc replies:

There are very good reasons why things
are not the same in every airport.

1. Localized intelligence information that
places a specific threat at a particular
airport or region may require a local
procedure.

2. Changing procedures on a regular
basis keeps the bad guys off guard at
all times.

3. Predictability is what got us into
trouble on 9-11.

SpinDoc, sounds fine as theory, but let's remember that theory is where the rubber meets the sky. The airports I cited have NEVER required passengers to remove their shoes or the ones who allow uniform crew members to keep their shoes on have ALWAYS allowed that. Talk about predictability. If the procedures did, in fact, change from time to time, I would be thrilled. So far, I haven't seen any indication of a planned change in procedures at any of the TSA locations.

Wrong SpinDoc.

There was supposed to be a uniform national policy in effect last year, but as is typical with government, they cannot get their act together. The public in frustrated with incosistent policies, not the policies themselves.

N628AU said:
Wrong SpinDoc.

There was supposed to be a uniform national policy in effect last year, but as is typical with government, they cannot get their act together. The public in frustrated with incosistent policies, not the policies themselves.
[post="275613"][/post]​

SpinDoc replies:

I agree that some consistency is necessary,
however, the TSA and Department of Homeland
Security reserve the right to act on specific
intelligence, and I can guarantee that there
will always be some inconsistencies based on
this.

Back