Baggage Check In Times In Phl

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
* Starting June 6, 2005, passengers in Philadelphia must check their luggage 45 minutes prior to departure for domestic flights and 1 hour prior to international flights.

This is from the website. Current bag cut off is 30 mins. Hopefully this will help some with late bags not making the TSA screening. I cant believe a city with the volume of PHL still had 30 mins at cut off. A lot of the airlines (even in the out stations) have 45 mins as a cutoff and they dont deviate. If you are 1 minute past cutoff, you missed it.

ALCARLOS said:
This does not solve the problem for the customer. It is a disincentive to fly USAirways.

Sky high states: 45 minutes before departure is a disincentive? Unless you're carrying on your bags, being at the check-in counter 45 minutes before departure is REASONABLE. Remember, you must then GO GET IN LINE AT SECURITY and then make it TO YOUR GATE! :up:

ALCARLOS said:
This does not solve the problem for the customer. It is a disincentive to fly USAirways.
[post="274733"][/post]​

I had someone show up today at 834am for an 840am flight. They had 3 bags to check and had a baby in tow. They were furious that I told them they couldnt check in and check their bags ***** 6 ****** minutes before their flight left, in another building, on the other side of security.
I think 45 minutes in a city the size of PHL is MORE than reasonable to help ensure that the bags have a decent chance of being screened and get to the flight in time. There is not only 1 bag, your bag, to be screened for the flight. If people expect their bags to arrive with them, then they need to give the airline AND TSA a chance to do their job in a timely manner. In PHL, they've decided that 45 minutes is what is required to get that job done.
Other carriers (in less congested airports) currently have a 45 minute checkin time for bags. UA and NW are two in my city that I know have this rule. They seem to have people still willing to fly them, even with the expanded cutoff time.
Also, as SkyHigh states, you still need to get through security. It would also be helpful to be at the gate for boarding 30 minutes before departure. With the walk to security, screening line, screening, walk to the gate, etc, this would still be pushing it in many cities.
If people arent willing to give the time needed to get the job done to ensure that their baggage is screened with time to get it to the plane, then I guess they will be flying someone else and hope that they can get it done in less time.

Absolutley, 45 minute cut off is reasonable, if not generous. But what is the cure? The pax is just told the bag won't make it with them on the plane? Or are they denied passage all together? Surely, not. Is there a fee to ship the bag separate from the pax? Does the pax and the bag just get treated like they missed the flight? Gee, what is that? I've never just been LATE when it was my fault.

Latest posts