Check This Stuff Out? Crazy

If there was suspicion that certain f/a's were actually stealing, yes I can understand. However, this kind of behavior has been going on in all areas of business for years. We are talking about human beings. It is totally up to managements of all companies to come up with ways to take care of these issues...YES, the managements.

I sent in the suggestion almost ONE YEAR ago that we go the route of coupons paid for at the counter or via the kioske. ONE YEAR!! That way there would be no exchange of cash on the airplane AND that would take care of theft both in the air and on the ground. I received a letter back saying it was being implemented. Well guess what? It hasn't been implemented. What makes me mad is that instead of dragging their feet on implementing a theft proof system (surprise :blink: ), they allegedly drag f/a's thru the ringer. After seeing such complacency from management, how can anyone sit back and say this was justified. This smells of an attempt to get rid of people.

For folks like Piney who may not be in the know on certain things, marking bills is dangerous for innocent f/a's. Since we are the only STAR ALLIANCE airline selling liguor and headset internationally, we take in alot of Pounds and Euros. Many f/a's have traditionally bought whatever currency they needed. This made it easy for the f/a's wanting the currency and it made it easier for the purser when they were closing out. I would see a thousand dollars worth of various cash during peak seasonal months. Remember there are alot of coins with the Euro and Pounds. All this was indeed done innocently.

Again, if there is indeed thieft going on from certain f/a's, whether inhouse or duty free, then US Airways DOES have an obligation to protect it's monies, however, US Airways ALSO has an obligation to implement sytems and procedures that will protect it's monies.

In otherwords, get with the program, management!!

Companies have always done things to protect themselves. We pulled pain meds such as aspirin off the a/c probably because someone sued the company. Don't forget that our plastic wings have no needle on the back because a kid stuck it in his eye.

You can do TWO things to protect yourself:

1. Provide a consistant service with STAR by providing complimentary headsets, and liguor.

2. Get on those IT wizards to implement that suposed new sytem I was told was being implemented ONE YEAR ago.

AIDS has been around for 20 years. If I choose to continue to practice unsafe sex after all the information I have , then I have nobody to blame but myself now if a contract it.

The same can be said of US Airways. You have known for years that there is a problem with monies exchanging too many hands, you know how to prevent it, but have done nothing to prevent it. If you can't do something as simple as the coupon program, then don't complain about the problem. And don't implement the alledged Nazist tactics.

Dea Certe said:
I can only imagine how very upsetting it was for the crew. It's never right to steal but I have to wonder what would drive a person to risk their job and possibly a jail term for so few dollars.

Very sad.

Dea
$500.00 is more than a "few"/

From what I heard it was more to the tune of a total of $10,000 and had been going on for a few months. This is not small potatoes here. The Duty Free company has a right to do a sting if they are losing this amount of money. This is not the first time, it happened over a year ago. The f/a resigned (was given the choice) and still got her retirement after ripping off over $10,000 also. The marked bills were US dollars, I heard.

And, if you look at Corporate Policy, the Company does have the right to search all of us on Company owned or leased property. If a person is not doing anything wrong, then they shouldn't mind being searched if it saves us from being ripped off!

I'm confused. I've never done International and I don't know a thing about Duty Free. Does Company give the F/A's money to start out with to make change or something?? How did they go about marking bills? :huh:

ktflyhome said:
I'm confused. I've never done International and I don't know a thing about Duty Free. Does Company give the F/A's money to start out with to make change or something?? How did they go about marking bills? :huh:
Frankly, I don't know how this person pulled this off. With duty free, you have to balance out and inventory. I mean, I guess a person could possibly say they were short of items and then take what you want, but as is probably the case, there were too many times where this happened. If all this IS true, this f/a was very careless in her dealings. To me, for some reason I always felt the fear of God where Duty Free is concerned. Those guys mean business. I know people probably want the worst for this f/a, but I just hope she/he learned something from this.

Yeah, Duty Free is a little more complicated than liqour. With liqour and headests, everything costs the same and is easier to count. Duty Free you're dealing with all different items and prices. I tried to avoid it like the plague because math isnt my strong point.

Does the new system still use that little computer thing?

I always try to work duty free if I am senior enough (extra commission and I have to be there anyway...may as well do duty free) We don't get cash for change either, and we do try to make change, I think I'll be more wary of that in the future. Shocking that they treated the rest of the crew this way if they already knew who the guilty person was (or at least they THOUGHT they knew), why not just search this person first?

Light - We got the new duty free company too...and yes, still using the computer (the computer that eliminated crew discounts :down: )

I don't know, fromwhat Iam reading here, there is something fishy going on. How do you get $500 in marked bills coming from the Passengers??? Something is not right. As Paul Harvey says...."And now for the rest of the story".!!!!

ITRADE said:
$500.00 is more than a "few"/
ITrade,

I meant a "few" in the grand scheme of things. Giving up a regular paycheck and benefits for a few quick bucks seems really stupid to me. I think everyone knows there was at least one other incident recently of someone getting caught with their hand in the company cookie jar. Why risk your career and possibly your freedom for so little money? $500 isn't even a month of groceries for some families.

Dea

PSA1979 said:
From what I heard it was more to the tune of a total of $10,000 and had been going on for a few months. This is not small potatoes here. The Duty Free company has a right to do a sting if they are losing this amount of money. This is not the first time, it happened over a year ago. The f/a resigned (was given the choice) and still got her retirement after ripping off over $10,000 also. The marked bills were US dollars, I heard.

And, if you look at Corporate Policy, the Company does have the right to search all of us on Company owned or leased property. If a person is not doing anything wrong, then they shouldn't mind being searched if it saves us from being ripped off!
Damn $10,000 sure buys a lot of cat food. Wasn't there another f/a a few years back that stole a duvet down comforter from the Paris hotel? Hotel called the company and they met the lady at the gate opened her bag and poof comes the duvet. She lost her job. You have to be pretty stupid to think you can get away with this stuff.

It's very simple. If said F/A stole the money they need to lose their job, serve a stiff jail sentence and be ordered to pay restitution. It's never right to steal anything and to justify it with excuses just doesn't make sense.

MrAeroMan said:
It's very simple. If said F/A stole the money they need to lose their job, serve a stiff jail sentence and be ordered to pay restitution. It's never right to steal anything and to justify it with excuses just doesn't make sense.
Can't wait for Teddy's response on this one.

Folks,

If I could insert a little sanity here.....

I saw the original post on the ALPA board before leaving on the trip I just got in from. Catching up on the reading here, I see a lot of "I heard" in the posts on this thread. Go back and read the original post quoted at the top of this thread. It was written by one of the pilots involved.

The pilot at the scene said "I overheard one of the Customs guys tell another that they had caught someone with "a bottle of Baileys and some money."

I seems like the rumor mill has turned this into $500 at the scene and $10,000 over some period of time.

Jim

ps - because of this report, I'm starting to tell "my" f/a's not to make change from their personal money. If they have to, give booze away instead (us 737 folks don't deal with the other stuff) let me know and I'll sign for it as Captain's perogitive.

Boeing Boy,
The e-mail you saw was from fllight attendants not pilots. And the person who was caught only had some money on them from this flight. Over the last few months over $10,000 was missing, the same as in the last case a couple of years ago. This time the person who was caught admitted to stealing the money and is now on disciplinary suspension pending a full investigation per the F/A contract.

Piney,
F/A's are paid commission on Duty Free directly from the Duty Free companies. When US changed companies last year, the old company refused to pay US as well as the F/A's that were owed monies. I believe US took them to court and I haven't heard the outcome. But I do know that the F/A's still haven't gotten their commission from the old Duty Free company.

PineyBob said:
What I want to know is there ANY truth to the rumor that US Airways has held up commissions to F/A's for duty free Sales? Claiming that when US switched Duty Free company's the old company never paid the comissions to US they weren't paying the F/A.s? The lady I spoke with complained to US and was given the brush off by U management
That is 100% true. They are still in talks to pay the f/as. Has been nearly 1 year.