City of Dallas to consider closing Love Field

Who is right(no pun intended), who is wrong. This whole battle is getting a little old. Tear down the Legend Terminal or something, but let's get this whole thing over with. just my thoughts.....

This is not going to happen. The City of Dallas seems to be determined to take the "You're not my momma. You cain't tell me what to do" attitude toward the other municipalities in North Texas that are also on the hook for the DFW bonds. Also, I think that the city takes the SWA threat to move the headquarters elsewhere very seriously. Dallas's economy is not the healthiest in the country. As a Dallas resident I know that Love Field and SWA are the stimulus for a lot of jobs in Dallas.

At the same time, I don't think that repeal of the Wright Amendment is on the horizon, and truth be known, I'm not sure that SWA actually wants repeal of the WA. I think this is all a marketing/PR ploy.

Reasons:
1. City of Dallas is one of those municipalities on the hook for DFW bonds--the major guarantor. IIRC, the guarantees are proportional by city size. I may be wrong here. If I am, I'm sure that one of the SWA fans will correct me.
2. One landing approach to Love Field is over some very expensive real estate with residents who don't want increased noise from the airport. And, no, I'm not talking about Highland Park, but them too. Oak Lawn is being gentrified with more and more of the older homes there being torn down and very expensive townhomes--$500,000 up--being put up. (Same thing is happening in Houston in the Montrose area and the area between downtown and the Medical Center that used to be outright slums.)
3. The other landing approach to Love Field--over Bachman Lake--is over predominantly Hispanic neighborhoods that will scream discrimination if they get all the noise from expansion in order to appease Oak Lawn/Highland Park.
4. The Love Field "Master Plan" calls for up to 30 gates; however, I believe that plan was developed before DFW ended up with an almost empty terminal due to the DL pullout. I don't think that the city is as amenable to full implementation of the "Master Plan" as it once was.
5. (Here's where it gets tricky, and the crux of why I'm not sure that SWA actually wants the WA repealed.) If the "Master Plan" is not implemented, then...
a. Currently, there are only 19 workable gates at Love Field. SWA controls 14 of them, AA has 3, and CO has 2.
b. If the WA is repealed, airlines, such as JetBlue and Airtran, will be clamoring for gates at Love Field. Particularly, JetBlue. They would love to be able to fly from DAL to JFK, FLL, and the West Coast because of the lower landing fees at DAL.
c. Because Love Field is partially maintained with Federal funds, the city must provide gate access to any airline that wants to fly into Love Field.

Who do you think loses gates if no more gates are made operable and other airlines want to come in? Certainly not AA or CO. Also, with JetBlue's current on-time performance, do you think that SW wants them clogging up the ops at DAL? :lol:

As Charles Barkley said, "I may be wrong, but I don't think so." :p

The title to this thread is very misleading. The City of Dallas is NOT considering closing DAL.

Some dorks put together a "study" and their study mentioned that closing DAL was an option.

Dallas is just as likely to rip up its freeways as close its highly successful airport.

We've seen a lot of these lately. Some dork analysts ask Arpey if there's any truth to the rumour that AA might re-engine its MD-80s. He says "sure, we've looked at it, but the economics of it don't make sense right now." So news stories say "AA considering re-engining its MD-80s."

Same thing with WN and assigned seating. Tons of news stories saying that WN is planning on switching to assigned seats.

The title to this thread is very misleading. The City of Dallas is NOT considering closing DAL.

Some dorks put together a "study" and their study mentioned that closing DAL was an option.

Dallas is just as likely to rip up its freeways as close its highly successful airport.

We've seen a lot of these lately. Some dork analysts ask Arpey if there's any truth to the rumour that AA might re-engine its MD-80s. He says "sure, we've looked at it, but the economics of it don't make sense right now." So news stories say "AA considering re-engining its MD-80s."

Same thing with WN and assigned seating. Tons of news stories saying that WN is planning on switching to assigned seats.

Does calling everyone else with an opinion a dork make you feel superior?

Do you have any views about the topic or just about me? I didn't know I was the topic of this thread. B)

You're about as much of the topic as your diatribe about Arpey and re-engine of MD-80s, or WN and assigned seating.

Practice what you preach, and try to refrain from calling industry analyst with which you disagree "DORKs"

My opinion on DAL, follow the original intet of the agreement and close it down.

Another article...this one from DFW People Newspaper.

http://www.dfwpeople.com/latest_news.html

Close Love Field, develop the area and reap twice the revenues in tax

"Our tax expert estimates this would generate approximately $114 million in annual tax revenues versus the $15 million today..." ­­ Victor Lissiak

by Bill Leader

An engineer and land developer suggests the City of Dallas shut down Love Field. The city, he points out, would gain considerably more revenues from the development of the 1,208.32-acre airport site with its Bachman Lake frontage and proximity to downtown Dallas.

Victor Lissiak Jr. P.E. founded Viewtech Inc. in 1971. The company, which has ongoing construction projects, Harbor Point, The Stretford at the Cascades, Lansborough Apartments etc., is based in Addison. The company also maintains offices in Jakarta, Indonesia. Viewtech specializes in land surveying, civil site engineer and structural engineering. Conservatively Lissiak estimates that the taxable value of a redeveloped Love Field airport site would be between $3.8 billion and $5.2 billion.

"Our tax expert estimates this would generate approximately $114 million in annual tax revenues versus the $15 million being generated today," Lissiak says.

On a blog site -- Dallasblog.com -- Lissiak writes, "The ongoing discussion regarding whether to keep or jettison the Wright Amendment is, in my opinion, beside the point. The right discussion is the redevelopment of Love Field. This is because Love Field represents a unique opportunity to dramatically rejuvenate the tax base of the City of Dallas, DISD and Dallas County, as well as the city's reputation for bold thinking."

Lissiak grew up close to Love Field and recalls riding his bicycle over the runways to make his way to Bachman Lake. "Some weeks ago I received a call from a prominent developer and client. He asked that our firm create a plan for the redevelopment of Love Field. We were paid by this developer because he is interested in doing the deal and wanted to see if it was as attractive as his gut told him it would be," he writes.

Lissiak is not identifying the client at the client's request. This, he said, in the real estate business is not unusual. Lissiak said that he teamed with Richard Ferrara, a nationally renowned land planner best known for the Telecom Corridor land plan. And Viewtech hired tax and financial analysts to determine the impact on closing down Love Field and redeveloping it.

Here follow some of the report's highlights:
REPORT HIGHLIGHTS
€ Love Field encompasses 1,208.32 acres or more than 52 million-square-feet. Privately owned land in "takeouts" within the airport perimeter would add an additional 113 acres. This means a total of 1,322.4 acres in the middle of the nation's 10th largest city. The Las Colinas Urban center, by contrast, is only 960 acres.

€ The plan calls for 210 acres containing 5,850 units of low, mid and high rise multifamily housing along with 2,025 single family units on 344.6 acres; 755,000-square-feet of mixed retail; 8,170,000-square-feet of office space ranging from garden complexes to high rises; 148.6 acres of bio-tech or light industrial space; hotel/motel and conference center space.

€ The plan envisions a development that extends broad water filled canals from Bachman Lake throughout the development and offers over 300 acres of common areas including the existing Frontiers of Flight Museum on Lemon Avenue.

€ The plan estimates that, when completed, a redeveloped Love Field would generate in excess of 30,000 on site jobs. Today, Love Field, supports about 12,000 jobs.

€ The tract is located 5,000 feet from the intersection of Mockingbird and I-35 and US-183, 2,000 feet from the North Dallas Tollway, less than 1 mile form the University of Texas Southwest Medical Center and four miles from the Victory development in Uptown. A DART station will open at Love Field in four years. The development will also be only eight miles from DFW Airport.

€ The City of Dallas would realize a minimum up front payment for the land on which Love Field now sits of at least $120 million.

The City of Dallas would lose no tax revenues even during the development stages. There are at least 12 developers watching and waiting for a chance to begin, Lissiak says.

"The terms will be the city's to write. That will surely include a check in excess of $122 million that can replace lost revenues," Lissiak believes.

There is some work the City of Dallas will have to undertake.

There will have to be an expansion of Northwest Highway west of Love Field; Denton Drive, and Mockingbird west to Stemmons Freeway among others.

"As a native and resident of Dallas, it pains me that when companies move to North Texas they are bound for Las Colinas, Southlake, Richardson, Plano, Frisco and even McKinney. Worse, every year longtime Dallas companies like Haggar depart for these same locales. A key reason is that the City of Dallas offers no large modern developments like you find in those cities. What Dallas would boast almost overnight is a development that would more than match anything our suburbs could offer but with all the amenities of a real city to boot!" Lissiak writes.

Lissiak suggests skeptics take a look at what has happened when Mueller Airport in Austin and Stapleton Airport in Denver closed down. Both these airports were closed when the newer and more modern Austin International and Denver International opened.

"Both (the former Mueller and Stapleton airports) are well on their way to being big wins all the way around -- for the city's tax base, their economic development efforts and local residents," Lissiak points out.

When it comes to airport land issues... real estate developers are on crack, they're so stupid. This is REDICULOUS and uninformed advice designed to sell consulting services.

When it comes to airport land issues... real estate developers are on crack, they're so stupid. This is REDICULOUS and uninformed advice designed to sell consulting services.

Oh, and listening to airline employees opinions on land use issues is entirely informed and totally unbiased?

Please.... my lunch is about to come up all over my desk.

Oh brother, I can see it now...concessions to buy an airport. :mf_boff: :mf_boff:

hahahah.

my opinion:
1. who would want to buy a house that has had jet fuel, oil, and God knows what, dripping into the soil for the last 35+ years? Someone who isn't worried about their health, I would guess.

2. As much as Wright may hurt my airline the arguments we are coming up with to stop it from being abolished are just ridiculous.

Latest posts