The Lipstick Is Gone.

May 19, 2003
Visit site
We have an expression in the south. It’s called “putting lipstick on a pigâ€. She may look better from a distance, but when you get up real close she still smells like a pig. Given what I have seen this week on US, I can’t think of a better way to describe the experience.

I am now seriously considering not making the effort to renew my CP status, even though I’m over half way there. As bad as I hate to think about it, a long and enjoyable relationship is about to come to a close. Some random reasons as to why………

I have always felt very strongly about supporting the front line employees, but the very ones I have come to know and care for are taking the early out. Almost a third of my friends are leaving at my home airport. The ones who are left are scared to death of what it is going to be like when the new hires come on board. Let’s just hope they speak English. I feel less and less of a connection with this airline with each passing day. US will no longer enjoy my support unless they can show some results soon from the sacrifices these employees have made over the past three years. Quite simply this team must now show me something that they have done to bring this airline out of the nose dive.

The equipment and facilities are becoming pig sties. Flying through PHL four times this week, I was really stunned how filthy this airport has become. The gate area was nasty with carpet missing, no signs announcing flights out of the gate, the walls just awful with filth and grime, the jet way was unbelievably dirty and a trash can that was so covered in food that it had mold growing on one side. The gate agent was eating at the counter as he was taking the tickets up. (Come on folks, have a little professionalism.) The plane was one of the dirtiest I can remember being on. The arm rest between the seats moved about three inches from side to side. . I would have been was afraid to put a drink on it had the plane been catered. How can this happen at 8:00 AM in the morning. Then this morning the 757 which overnighted in BWI and was on it’s first flight of the morning had not been touched. Crushed potato chips, plastic wrappers and coffee stirrers were on the floor when we first boarded. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THIS. Then to top it off, this flight had not been completely catered either. What the %^%# is going on? This is not a third world country airline, so quit running it like one.

Then this morning I arrived at 6:00 AM for a 7:30 AM flight in BWI. The counter was a zoo. Half of the kiosks were broken and the few that remained were between 15 and 20 people deep. For a while there was one ticket agent working the preferred line with around 12 folks in it. She leaves to start helping the folks who can not figure out the kiosk. To make a long story short, the kiosk WERE NOT providing the fast and courteous customer serviced levels that the folks in Crystal Palace would like us to believe. As a matter of fact the staffing has been cut back so much at BWI because of these little jewels, the folks behind the counter simply could not keep up. Only after several of us starting becoming rather vocal did an agent come back to check us in. We also found out that four of the kiosk had been worked on everyday for the past week, but were still not functioning. I didn’t even bother calling San Salvador or trying to figure out how much money US saved by having kiosk this morning. I did however wonder if the term future revenue means anything to the management of US. Given the comments I was hearing standing in line, I would say there is a very good chance many of the people this morning will not be repeat customers.

BTW, I’m typing this from PHL gate F34, trying to catch a 9:25 flight to BUF which is still showing on time. It’s not here yet and its 9:15, but I don’t think we are going to be on time. (Wheels up at 10:30 AM )

The management of this airline has been given concessions from the employees three times now, claiming they needed it to turn the place around. Can any of you site for me anything thing positive they have done with the money? Can any one here name one part of the transformation plan that was shared with us almost a year ago that has come to pass? The management team of this airline has wasted a value opportunity to listen to some of its best customers. As long as we agreed with them, they would feed us a line about how important we were to them, how much they valued our input. But when challenged about some of the more obvious operational challenges and being honest and critical about the operational acumen of some in management, they have decided that maybe they should pull back from a discourse with their best customers. Give me a break. All they have done is make one roach very mad. I’ve been quiet for a long time now, trying to give this team a chance. Well those days are over. Just watch………….

I hereby, as a CP and long term customer, call on Al Crellin to resign. Should he not do so, he should be shown the door. It is time for some one in management of this airline to step in and accept responsibility for the sorry state of the current US operations (and the Christmas melt down). If he is not willing to accept said responsibility, then some one needs to grow some gonads and fire him. Are the two Bruce’s (B’AL’S, which has a whole other meaning on the DL thread) listening or are they two hiding behind their desks in CCY. If you’re listening I have a couple of thoughts and questions for you.

If the militant rampers are the problem in PHL, then it is your job to fire them or find a way to work with them. To pull up to the gate as we did yesterday and not see a ramper to the left or to the right, with only one other plane on the B concourse and then have to wait 15 minutes for some one to wave us in is YOUR FAULT. If a plane has to taxi away from the gate and wait 10 to 15 minutes for weight and balance before we can get in the conga line, then it is YOUR FAULT. If we have to wait 40 minutes from push back to take off on a clear and sunny day at 8:00 in the morning, it is your FAULT.

We are tired of hearing the excuses. If you can’t fix it, then move on another airline or back into retirement. All of these and many other issues are Al Crellin’s responsibility. He is not a team player. He needs to go.

And lest you think this baggage thing is a PHL problem only, I spent two hours in the baggage claim area of the CHS airport last Friday night. I watched as four flights came in and then over 30 people walked over to file lost bag claims. I understand that in some small stations the cost to deliver bags for THIS MONTH ALONE is in excess of $25,000 SO FAR. Can some one explain to me how the militant rampers of PHL have infected the morale and work performance of the rampers in CLT and RDU? Like I said, it’s YOUR FAULT. If you can’t fix it, then move on another airline. All of these and many other issues are Al Crellin’s responsibility. He is not a team player. He needs to go.

I can list about 10 other issues that are beginning to become real concerns to me, but I now realize this post is too long as it is. About the best CCY can hope for now is that I go away quietly and not get started up on the other issues. They have made this roach mad and I’m not going to take it any more.

To be continued.......................?

And BTW, the lipstick tube is now empty and the cockroach lives.

l4pi,

I am so sorry you've been driven to make this decision. You will be missed. Thank you for your business over the years. I hope you'll find another airline who is willing to meet your traveling needs.

Has CCY refused to meet you? It's a very sad and telling commentary.

Good luck and please keep us informed on how things are elsewhere.

Wishing you blue sky and green limes!

Dea

The equipment and facilities are becoming pig sties.

You are the customer, and we always appreciate your business. But how about a little tough love...find an alternate way to do your business....wooop...guess you could not! Why not send this whine to the government, and ask them why over 40% of your ticket is in taxes. The CHS airport is a joke in itself, in no way justified by its size vs its O/D traffic...much like PIT, and to a small degree, PHL. Again, appreciated...but in the shadow of aircraft flying into large downtown buildings...you are but a gnat....again, thank you for your business..but direct your complaint to the problem. Best. Greeter.

PineyBob said:
Point taken! Who do you suggest we write to? I'm serious. I have a laptop and I'm not afraid to use it
[post="258096"][/post]​
Piney, I wish I knew....but the post I was answering to is so dated in relevance that I lack for words. I have lost my retirement, my lifestyle, and my future in aviation. I would never want to alienate those we need most, the loyal customers like yourself..but enough is enough. Either fly us or do not. We is what we is, as Popeye would say...is what we is, nothing more. Best. Greeter.

Walmartgreeter said:
but direct your complaint to the problem.
[post="258093"][/post]​

Come join us on the front line day in day out "working kiosk" or baggage claim and you'll see that he is directing his complaint about his experience on US in the right direction. We are pathetic. We are the laughingstock of the airport. We suck. There is so much more I'd love to add right now, but I better just zip it or I'll be in trouble. :ph34r:

L4PI is spot on on soooooo many issues it isnt even funny.
PS- 2 of 12 kiosks out of service again today (but they dont call in sick right, and they can reroute all the misconnects right, and they can take bag claims right?) :up:

Walmartgreeter said:
I have lost my retirement, my lifestyle, and my future in aviation.
[post="258098"][/post]​

All of us have given a lot. That doesnt mean I'm willing to have given everything I've given and still work for a pos company where it just keeps getting worse and worse every day. Someone needs to put some pressure on certain people in CCY if anything is ever going to change around here. I say fire off those letters with both barrels and let them have it.

Unfortunately, things over at U seem pretty bad. I work for AA and U is right next to us. The other day while in the bag claim area, the baggage service agent for U came on the loud speaker and said "if you are waiting for bags off flight ??(can't remember the flight #) please come to the office and make a claim so we can deliver your bag when it gets here. We have been informed that a whole cart of bags was not loaded on the plane." After this announcement was made, a lot of people started towards the bag claim office. As a side note, I have noticed a lot of people working on the U ramp in street clothes. These are more than likely newhires replacing all those that just quit. USA320 Pilot, Spin Doc, Use Your Head, Rico, PineyBob, and Flyboi have always said that "if you don't like it then quit." Well that is exactly what the experienced people are doing. IN DROVES.

Longing,

Great post. I sense that you are very sincere. As I read your post my shoulders slumped lower, and lower, and lower. This is the reality of US Airways. I forwarded your post to my wife, who left US Airways in October after 16 years of employment. She was a CSA in ticketing at PHL. It took her quite a long time to come to the realization that her beloved airline was quickly on its way out of business, but when finally did, she resigned. In fact, she resigned immediately upon hearing the news of the court imposed 21% paycut. She walked away from the ticket counter, turned her ID in, and has never been back. She could no longer tolerate the lack of customer service, the constant ridicule by management, the pathetic, embarrassing manangement, and constant barrage of assinign work rules. She just could not accept the fact that she could no longer provide the level of customer service that the customers deserved. I wish all of you at US Airways the very best. We have made a lot of friends over the years. Unfortunatently, I honestly believe US Airways will go out of business. In fact, I have heard the next round of concession demands will be announced May 16 with a demand date of June 30. :(

genejockey said:
Longing,

She could no longer tolerate the lack of customer service, the constant ridicule by management, the pathetic, embarrassing manangement, and constant barrage of assinign work rules. She just could not accept the fact that she could no longer provide the level of customer service that the customers deserved.
[post="258112"][/post]​
This has been the anguish point for all of us here. Where was the point that we, who strove to give the friendliest, quickest, safest, and cleanest service to our customers, could no longer endure working for a management team that believed that the above qualities were offensive, and contrary to their business plan.

Thankfully, for hundreds of us in maintenance, who for years battled to hold the line of quality, we have been paid to leave. And most of those who chose to stay, are having severe second thoughts.

genejockey said:
In fact, I have heard the next round of concession demands will be announced May 16 with a demand date of June 30. :(
[post="258112"][/post]​
Those of us in maintence, who have been paid to leave, retain the right to vote on any further contract revisions. And we will ;)

Walmartgreeter said:
The equipment and facilities are becoming pig sties.

Why not send this whine to the government, and ask them why over 40% of your ticket is in taxes. The CHS airport is a joke in itself, in no way justified by its size vs its O/D traffic...much like PIT, and to a small degree, PHL. (stuff deleted) thank you for your business..but direct your complaint to the problem. Best. Greeter.
[post="258093"][/post]​

Lack of ground personnel, busted kiosks, lost/delayed bags, dirty planes, experienced employees bailing out due to pay/benefit cuts and working conditions, etc., all the government's fault. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

U could be flying into an immaculate, brand new, state-of-the-art airport and their service would still stink due to incompetent, uncaring management. Don't blame the government for many years of CCY management blunders.

Long4piedmont...great and very truthful post. It is ashame that a once great airline is going by the way side. The unfortunate sitiuation is the reply from management will be "ITS THE EMPLOYEES FAULT" the same that was blasted over the media after the Christmas situation. Amazing is it not after the government investigation the truth emerges but yet no apologies from management. The way this company is run is if it looks good on paper it will work which is the total opposite...it does not work. Our "crack" management team is without vision. The majority of the frontline employees have had enough of the dark ages management style that is frequently shown. There are a quite a few who reside in CCY who should be elsewhere but with this company the old boys network is clearly in place. Think the best comment that I have overheard in the breakroom is that we are becoming nothing more than a joke. It is hard for me to see so many dedicated and talented employees in Winston Salem waiting for the buyout or either leaving on their own accord. One cannot blame them and what confuses me is the most warped thinking from CCY is that they have given the employees every reason to leave and not any reason to stay.

My esteemed colleague L4PI could not have said it better! Those of you who have always been there for us, and who know how to take care of the customer, are leaving in droves. The remaining employees are not alone in fearing what the new hires will be like.

The sad part is that many of us won't be around to find out--I would imagine more employees will leave, which will only compound the problem, and I think that your core of most loyal customers are also becoming disillusioned. I never thought I would see the day when L4PI, Piney, or even I would consider looking elsewhere, but I fear it is true.

And if we go, the folks at 2345 Crystal Drive will have no one to blame but themselves.

My best to you all....

Longing,
The focus at our station continues to be kiosk numbers and on time performance. Regardless if the customer wants to or not, and, leave bags or customers off to be on time. Even if they have been screwed on another cancelled flt. Thank You very much for being a loyal customer. Some humans don't have the ability to understand things. Don't expect anyone that counts to "get it" regarding your post. Thanks again.

PineyBob said:
Point taken! Who do you suggest we write to? I'm serious. I have a laptop and I'm not afraid to use it
[post="258096"][/post]​

Piney -
It just doesn't matter. First of all, if CCY doesn't know what's going on, then that proves they are incompetent fools. If they do, then it proves they are incompetent fools.

Face it, these guys are just milking this cow for everything it's worth. They don't give a rat's butt about you or the other customers. The proof is in the everyday operational management and the vast sums of money thrown down the toilet (which probably lands in someone's pocket).

IF LAKEFIELD WANTED IT TO BE DIFFERENT, IT WOULD BE. The operational problems with US Airways are almost exclusively due to the stupid arrogance of the managers and executives at U.

So write all the letters you want. Even if you get a sympathetic reply, your letter will wind up being "binned with contempt." The executives at U have had YEARS to get their act together. They haven't. Your letters aren't going to change that.

genejockey said:
Longing,

Great post. I sense that you are very sincere. As I read your post my shoulders slumped lower, and lower, and lower. This is the reality of US Airways. I forwarded your post to my wife, who left US Airways in October after 16 years of employment. She was a CSA in ticketing at PHL. It took her quite a long time to come to the realization that her beloved airline was quickly on its way out of business, but when finally did, she resigned. In fact, she resigned immediately upon hearing the news of the court imposed 21% paycut. She walked away from the ticket counter, turned her ID in, and has never been back. She could no longer tolerate the lack of customer service, the constant ridicule by management, the pathetic, embarrassing manangement, and constant barrage of assinign work rules. She just could not accept the fact that she could no longer provide the level of customer service that the customers deserved. I wish all of you at US Airways the very best. We have made a lot of friends over the years. Unfortunatently, I honestly believe US Airways will go out of business. In fact, I have heard the next round of concession demands will be announced May 16 with a demand date of June 30. :(
[post="258112"][/post]​

I believe the airline will go out of business too, especially with Oil at $56+ per barrel. No employee group on the property, even weak old ALPA, will accept another round of concessions voluntarily. Since the airline is operating in CH11, the court could impose whatever the company asks for.

However, even Admiral Lakefield has said the airline now enjoys competitive labor costs. Duh! If an airline with an East Coast "franchise" like U can't make it with these labor costs, well....................