The Lipstick Is Gone.

What l4pi describes is an airline hanging on by its fingernails. I'm really saddened to hear that it has gotten this bad. I'm saddened to think of all of the potential that has been destroyed. I'm reminded of the early days of Piedmont, with such a bright future. I'm reminded again of the tropical-colored smiling jets, whose passengers were as happy as the jets. All of you who worked so hard to build a good airline deserved better than this.

If you're not looking for employment elsewhere yet...do it now. You don't have much time left. :(

Operationally, this airline is falling apart. Some numbers, all month to date as of yesterday..

4 of every 10 'first flight of the day' mainline originators (fleet launch) is late departing.
6 of every 10 daily mainline flights is late departing.
5 1/2 of every 10 express flights is late departing.
3 of every 10 mainline flights is over 14 minutes late arriving.
3 1/2 of every 10 express flights is over 14 minutes late arriving.
5 1/2 of every 10 mainline flights exceeds it alloted 'turn' time (park to push back).
130 flights (mainline & express combined) cancel every day.
2.3 of every 100 passengers (mainline & express combined) arrive without their baggage.

Jim

PineyBob said:
YIPPEE! Raises and Bonuses for everyone! Let's give AL Crellin the biggest on for operational wizzardry!
[post="258172"][/post]​
Bob if I didnt know better I'd say you were an ex US Air (or about to become one) employee. Any particular reason why you've become so vocal against management?

longing4piedmont said:
We have an expression in the south. It’s called “putting lipstick on a pigâ€￾. She may look better from a distance, but when you get up real close she still smells like a pig. Given what I have seen this week on US, I can’t think of a better way to describe the experience.

[snip]

And BTW, the lipstick tube is now empty and the cockroach lives.
[post="258086"][/post]​
So you've been getting real close to this smelly pig for how many years, and now that the lipstick is gone you are going to bail? That must have been some pretty fancy lipstick. :D

longing4piedmont you will have plenty of seats to choose from over at Delta, they run 10 MD80's a day to ATL, and nonstop rj's to about 7 more cities out of GSO (I think thats your home base, right). In May Usair will be down to 3 mainline flights.

gso-crew said:
longing4piedmont you will have plenty of seats to choose from over at Delta, they  run 10 MD80's a day to ATL, and nonstop rj's to about 7 more cities out of GSO (I think thats your home base, right). In May Usair will be down to 3 mainline flights.
[post="258220"][/post]​
GSO is home. And I'm half way to PLT on DL after next week. But you know the sad fact is that I don't know a single name of a single DL employee in GSO. I've been flying now for about 25 years and most of it out of GSO. I can still remember acts of kindness from the front line PI staff from 20 years ago and exaclty what each did to help me out when I needed it. I have the pleasure of talking with several of them every week to this day.

In a way I have grown up (and old) in this airport. It breaks my heart to see what is happening to some of the best employees in the system. And I'm afraid that we are going to see more and post here from folks who have simply had enough and will leave. To those I'm sorry to see you go. You were a huge part one the best airlines in the air.

Starting in May, DL starts flying Barbie jets out of HKY. It will be difficult to justify the 90 minute drive to GSO unless there is a huge difference in fare. Flying HKY/ATL vs flying GSO/CLT will save me on average of 8 hours a week in transit time. And if you follow my post at all, you know how much I hate BJ's and ASA, so to even consider the option is a huge change in thinking for me.

When are you people going to get it? This whole airline is a pig sty. It s being setup to merge or sell and the new owners will find out what kind of #### hole it is. This once proud airline is just a cash cow for mangement, get what they can from the workers and move on.
I have seen over half the work force leave, yet mangement keeps on rolling. Except for a few clerks, and a couple of foreman who didn't fit in with the old boys club, they have not been cut. Closed down departments, yet no foreman cut. Had one on the line the other night braging, he's making more money at U now then he ever has. They have gotten rasies, vaction time back, bounes, yet the unions keep getting beat up. They are spending millions in buy outs to cut heads, it's not about saving money, just make the head count go down.
The company poouch's that get on here and rant "if you dont like it quit" well we are in droves. The base of any company is it's blue collar workers. Well that base is shrinking, but the top keeps getting heavier. Anybody need a physics lesson to quess what will happen next?

lets not forget that those who quit arent the only ones leaving in droves. there will be at least 600 or more employees in at least 26 cities being outsourced.

To those who have posted their appreciation here, I want to say thank you. I was hesitant to post this here. I was afraid it would be interpreted as being down on the employees and you certainly do not need any one else bringing you down. The post was not directed at you. You are the heros here

I want to, as Paul Harvey says, give you the “rest of the storyâ€￾. However I must preface my comments as not being in anyway negative of the employees involved. As you will see in a moment, they have given all there is to give and they simply are overloaded at this point. No reasonable person would/should/could expect any other performance.

I checked in at BWI this morning for the third day this week. I over slept and was running late. As soon as I entered the terminal, I knew I wasn’t going to make my flight. The line to every kiosk was 25 to 50% longer than yesterday. The preferred line had exactly zero people in it. The line for the folks about to miss their flight was at least fifty feet long.

The supervisor recognizes me (wore the same Yellow GT jacket everyday, making me look something like Big Bird) and motions me up to the counter and ask the agent working the kiosk to check me in. The agent looks at the supervisor and refuses to do it. The agent tells the agent to check me in this time and again the agent refuses, all within ear shot. To my surprise the supervisor simply walks away, leaving me standing there and not exactly sure what to do or say.

As I continued to watch the agent was making notes to put on two more kiosk that had just gone down and were no longer working. This agent had to go over and announce to two separate lines with at least 30 customers standing in them that the kiosk they were waiting for no longer was working. I now understood why I just wasn’t important to him at that moment.

Normally I would have been ill that there was no one to check in a preferred member, but after watching what these people had gone through three mornings in a row, status simply wasn’t important to me anymore. I am actually amazed that most even showed up for work this morning knowing what the day had in store. They have my gratitude for just being there today.

So here is the deal. I challenge Al* or Donna or either Bruce to show up over at BWI for three mornings in a row around any holiday and just watch what your best employees have to work with. If by the third day you don’t hang your head in shame, it is time for you to find another line of work. They are the best and you don’t realize it.

* before you are canned

robbedagain said:
lets not forget that those who quit arent the only ones leaving in droves.  there will be at least 600 or more employees in at least 26 cities being outsourced.
[post="258228"][/post]​
And as one employee told me yesterday, the hard working, very dedicated ones in the out stations are being let go to protect the jobs of the ones who appear not to have been. I found the observation coming from another employee very interesting.

Robbed, I hope this all works out for you. All I can say is that time and time again in my life, when one door closes another opens. My hope and prayer is that you and all the others find much peace and happiness after US

Latest posts