JAMAKE1

Veteran
Feb 15, 2003
SFO to DAB
Visit site
"April 27, 2008

EMPLOYEE BULLETIN NO. 6

Dear Co-worker,

We want you to know that our Board of Directors met today and has unanimously supported management’s recommendation that, in the current industry environment, the best course for Continental is to not merge with another airline at this time.

Our recommendation, and the Board’s careful and considered decision, followed a comprehensive review of our strategic alternatives, assisted by our senior officers and advised by Continental’s outside financial and legal advisors. The Board very carefully considered all the risks and benefits of a merger with another airline, and determined that the risks of a merger at this time outweigh the potential rewards, as compared to Continental’s prospects on a standalone basis.

We have significant cultural, operational and financial strengths compared to the rest of the industry, and we want to protect and enhance those strengths -- which we believe would be placed at risk in a merger with another carrier in today’s environment. We will, however, continue to review potential alliances and our membership in SkyTeam. We are considering alternatives to SkyTeam as we carefully evaluate which major global alliance will be best for Continental over the long term.

While some would prefer to see Continental pursue a merger, we strongly believe we have made the right decision – one that is in the best interests of our stockholders, co-workers, customers and the communities we serve.

Every U.S. carrier, including Continental, is under enormous pressure from record high fuel prices, a slowing U.S. economy and a weak dollar. In today’s harsh environment, we must continue to adjust our business model to ensure we successfully navigate through these difficult times, so that in the future we can once again grow and prosper. As we take actions, we will communicate them to you as soon as possible. In the meantime, we must all continue to concentrate on what we do so well: delivering clean, safe and reliable air transportation every day.

Even in these tough times, we have great strengths. We have an enviable position in the New York market, a powerful hub in Houston, and hubs in Cleveland and Guam. We have a solid trans-Atlantic route network, which has recently been enhanced by our access to London Heathrow. We also have a great Latin American network and a growing portfolio of routes to India and Asia. We fly the youngest, most fuel-efficient fleet and have the best new aircraft order book among the major network carriers.

Most importantly, we have our Working Together culture, and we will ensure it remains intact. We’ve achieved our industry-leading customer service reputation because of you – our co-workers. We will all work together to get through these tough times.

We are both proud to be on your team."

Continental Airlines has chosen to go it along. There may be some sort of alliance with AA.

UAL and LLC...........just think the East pilots at USair are going to be right back in ALPA with a merger with UAL.

Welcome back boys :up:

April 27, 2008
EMPLOYEE BULLETIN NO. 6
Dear Co-worker,
We want you to know that our Board of Directors met today and has unanimously supported management’s recommendation that, in the current industry environment, the best course for Continental is to not merge with another airline at this time.
Our recommendation, and the Board’s careful and considered decision, followed a comprehensive review of our strategic alternatives, assisted by our senior officers and advised by Continental’s outside financial and legal advisors. The Board very carefully considered all the risks and benefits of a merger with another airline, and determined that the risks of a merger at this time outweigh the potential rewards, as compared to Continental’s prospects on a standalone basis.

If United is only looking for an east coast presence, why not JetBlue? Lufthansa bought a big chunk for some reason, perhaps this was it.

I still don't see what US brings to make a merger worth the trouble.

shocking news to say the least :eek: :eek: One thing for sure about this industry, you can NEVER say NEVER!
One question that comes to mind .... why didn't UA pursue an alliance with CO instead? I have a feeling UA/LCC is the next logical step. :huh:

Buena suerta UAL. Who would want it after Tilton, et al ruined it?

US and UAL are 2 peas in a pod, AFAIC. Too bad so many good people there have to suffer for it.

Tilton probably blew it by wanting all the money without relinquishing the power. Hopefully it's just a negotiating ploy and CO will come back with more $ to buy him off.

If United is only looking for an east coast presence, why not JetBlue? Lufthansa bought a big chunk for some reason, perhaps this was it.

I still don't see what US brings to make a merger worth the trouble.

No Fly, it looks like US will be UA's logical choice for a partner. Game Over. :ph34r:

With UA burning through cash like there's no tomorrow, can they even manage a merger with US?

united_airlines3.jpg

I must say that I am disappointed. I think CO will do well because of their culture and management. They are the one airline out there right now who understands a service industry, and it shows in their employees and product. Kudos for them.

Unfortunately for UA employees, as long as Tilton is at the helm and hell bent on consolidation, we will be forced to deal with the train wreck known as USAirways. :(

Tilton probably blew it by wanting all the money without relinquishing the power. Hopefully it's just a negotiating ploy and CO will come back with more $ to buy him off.
This could be a distinct possibility. Remember that DL and NW called off their merger, only to announce it again a few weeks later. Anything can happen.

I must say that I am disappointed. I think CO will do well because of their culture and management. They are the one airline out there right now who understands a service industry, and it shows in their employees and product. Kudos for them.

Unfortunately for UA employees, as long as Tilton is at the helm and hell bent on consolidation, we will be forced to deal with the train wreck known as USAirways. :(

This could be a distinct possibility. Remember that DL and NW called off their merger, only to announce it again a few weeks later. Anything can happen.

you know you talk so much crap about usairways. your airline is not far behind my friend. look in the mirror. don't get me wrong i like united . my wife use to be a f/a there until we had our second child so i learned alot about the ins and out of ual. you guys aren't the best out there as far as managemnt goes. the employees of both us and ua are awesome . don't underestimate it. this merger if it happens and is well orchestrated can be awesome. someone hinted having bethune comein and lead it. hey , stranger things have happened and would be great. this is not over yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.