CO goes it alone/ UA and LCC still?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This could be a distinct possibility. Remember that DL and NW called off their merger, only to announce it again a few weeks later. Anything can happen.

I must say that I am disappointed. I think CO will do well because of their culture and management. They are the one airline out there right now who understands a service industry, and it shows in their employees and product. Kudos for them.

Unfortunately for UA employees, as long as Tilton is at the helm and hell bent on consolidation, we will be forced to deal with the train wreck known as USAirways. :(

Oh get over it already, UAL, AA, DAL, CAL - is no better than US --- US emloyees are good employees, that have been managed by morons, kinda like Tilton... Wake up and pray hard for good management and you will have great employees that will work hard for you.. Otherwise you are doomed.

This could be a distinct possibility. Remember that DL and NW called off their merger, only to announce it again a few weeks later. Anything can happen.

I don't recall the Delta BOD voting unanimously no to the a NWA merger.

767Jetz, I couldn't agree more. But I think this can also be seen as an idictment against Mr Tilton and his senior management team. CAL's BOD clearly sees how absolutely inept and dysfunctional they are. They are destroying the airline - and its employees morale - in a single-minded pursuit of the "big score" and cashout. Continental's enlightened management was UAL's best chance at establishing a new company culture at United and potentially reaching its vaunted potential. Until this happens, the employees and traveling public will be saddled with mediocrity.

What worries me even more is having USAirways shoved down the employee's throats EVEN if the union doesn't really make sense. And ALPA should be VERY scared of this move. Who wants to be nose-to-nose with a (now) non-ALPA group, a portion of which can't even abide by an arbitrator's ruling in a new seniority integration even though they agreed to it.

I don't recall the Delta BOD voting unanimously no to the a NWA merger.

I believe the Delta BOD said only if the pilots could work out an agreement. The pilots couldn't, so DL called it off.

The rest of the story: They went ahead with it anyway and the pilots still haven't worked it out.

My point was that CO BOD voted no the the merger, so in essence it is dead. There will be no re-announcing the merge as 767jetz alludes to.

My point was that CO BOD voted no the the merger, so in essence it is dead. There will be no re-announcing the merge as 767jetz alludes to.
I didn't allude to anything. Right now I have no idea how to read the tea leaves. I'm just saying it is one of many possible scenarios at this point.

No Fly, it looks like US will be UA's logical choice for a partner. Game Over. :ph34r:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

YO...Chucky(dude),

A lil' bird just flew in my window, and told me that the good folks in MSP will arise this monday morning, and read the BOLD news about CO, and Start asking themselves, local politicians, and FEDERAL politicians..................."WHY" are we getting TAKEN OVER by DEL-DUH" ??????????????

You see(my man),..........It's NOT TOO LATE for NW, to WAKE UP.

Now as to your curt reply to FLY, without NW,................DEL-DUH is in the SAME BOAT as UAL and LCC. :down: :down: :down:

DEL-DUH..."NEEDS"(IS USING) NW.

NW does NOT NEED DEL-DUH.................PERIOD !!!!!

Like Jetz, I too am very disappointed, however I think that the Continental BOD acted responsibly in making its decision. Furthermore, I believe that Glenn Tilton served a purpose in restructuring United Airlines, but he should've been paid off and sent on his way after the company emerged from Chapter 11. Sadly, United has been floundering for some time. As tonight's WSJ pointed out, United's product differentiation is complex and its labor relations are poor. Those factors as well as UA's poor Q1 performance were issues that the CO BOD could not overlook.

Additionally, I am troubled by the fact that United, which historically has been a launch customer for so many aircraft types, has no aircraft orders going forward. United used to be an industry leader in maintenance as well. A vast amount of its maintenance operations have been outsourced, reservations have been outsourced, and basically, the current fleet is a holdover from the Stephen Wolf era. Meanwhile, Delta has made inroads in Latin America, Africa, and The Middle East; Continental and NWA have 787's on order; Delta has positioned itself to become THE global powerhouse; and even US Airways has a significant number of Airbus A350's on the order books.

I haven't seen the work of a visionary in Glenn Tilton. The new International Premium Product, while impressive, is going painfully slow, with about 3 aircraft out of 97 completed. Furthermore, Southwest has penetrated UA's SFO, DEN, and IAD hubs; Virgin America is competing fiercely in SFO with $300 million in capital behind it; the credit markets have dried up; the economy is continuing to tank; and oil prices are at $120 a barrel and climbing.

I don't see a UA-US combination being the catalyst for a reversal in United's fortunes. Rather I see it as two very dysfunctional enterprises, with two very flawed corporate cultures, and two operationally challenged carriers, coming together to create even a bigger mess than its individual parts. Additionally, US does not bring to the table, United's most crucial missing pieces, notably the NYC market and Latin America.

So tonight, I am indeed disappointed. I was hopeful that the management team at CO could help foster a badly needed cultural change at United and together, we would become a thriving, competitive, and powerful global airline network...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

YO...Chucky(dude),

A lil' bird just flew in my window, and told me that the good folks in MSP will arise this monday morning, and read the BOLD news about CO, and Start asking themselves, local politicians, and FEDERAL politicians..................."WHY" are we getting TAKEN OVER by DEL-DUH" ??????????????

You see(my man),..........It's NOT TOO LATE for NW, to WAKE UP.

Now as to your curt reply to FLY, without NW,................DEL-DUH is in the SAME BOAT as UAL and LCC. :down: :down: :down:

DEL-DUH..."NEEDS"(IS USING) NW.

NW does NOT NEED DEL-DUH.................PERIOD !!!!!

Yo Bear! still sore you lost NW huh? Oh well you'll get over it. Unless you've been hibernating in a cave all this time, you've probably heard that DL/NW AF/KL were given antitrust approval :eek:
That looks like a full merger is a no brainer :eek: With CO out of the picture now, NW will stay put with
DL and see this through. So go back in your cave, hibernate some more and keep dreaming :p

P.S.: I still don't see how an alliance with AA will benefit CO? ...from the NYTimes:

Meanwhile, Continental’s next steps are far from clear. Although it planned to pursue discussions with American about joining its alliance with British Airways, the corporate cultures of Continental and American differ significantly. American, as the nation’s biggest airline until the Delta-Northwest deal is completed, is likely to want to dictate the terms under which the much-smaller Continental comes on board.

At the same time, Continental’s membership in the SkyTeam alliance could offer much greater reach than a deal with American and British Airways. The new Delta will be bigger than American, and other members in SkyTeam include KLM and Air France, which have a broader base than American and British Airways across Europe and the rest of the world.

Link

SO..."Chucky",.......your answer,....... to...all those phones that are RINGING at the Mayor of MSP's office, the Governors mansion, and rep. Oberstars office this Morning,.........................(As they ALL ask the question,......................"I don't get it. WHY are we VOLUNTARILY letting DL take us over" ???).....................IS, ?????

I believe that Glenn Tilton served a purpose in restructuring United Airlines, but he should've been paid off and sent on his way...

...I was hopeful that the management team at CO could help foster a badly needed cultural change at United and together, we would become a thriving, competitive, and powerful global airline network...
Very well said. Every word.

SO..."Chucky",.......your answer,....... to...all those phones that are RINGING at the Mayor of MSP's office, the Governors mansion, and rep. Oberstars office this Morning,.........................(As they ALL ask the question,......................"I don't get it. WHY are we VOLUNTARILY letting DL take us over" ???).....................IS, ?????

What scares you the most Bear? NW losing its identity or a weaker AA having to compete with DL/NW and possibly UA/US? Did you hear that oil reached $120bbl last night? Arpey better start comming up
with a plan since the employees aren't in the mood to cough up more dough AA Employees Unlikely to Accept Pay Cuts :eek:

UAL's BOD must either get some cajones or the shareholders should toss them out. Something seems perfectly clear to this casual observer. Tilton needs to be shown the door! Pronto! To allow him to stay on the property is absolutely POISONING any healthy financial future that UAL might have. I think this management team has been SO focused on this cashout deal that they stopped actively managing this company *effectively* during these hard economic times MONTHS ago and the latest 1Q financial results show this inattention to their real job...managing an airline!

When UAL's 1Q results were announced and their stock tanked, I honestly wonder if Tilton STILL insisted on being a "player" in the new contemplated UA/CO merged entity. If he did, why on earth would any RESPONSIBLE BOD (ie CO's) choose to keep this inept exec on the payroll and put their well-managed company at mortal risk? I don't blame them one bit in calling off further merger plans with UAL.

UAL's BOD must either get some cajones or the shareholders should toss them out. Something seems perfectly clear to this casual observer. Tilton needs to be shown the door! Pronto! To allow him to stay on the property is absolutely POISONING any healthy financial future that UAL might have. I think this management team has been SO focused on this cashout deal that they stopped actively managing this company *effectively* during these hard economic times MONTHS ago and the latest 1Q financial results show this inattention to their real job...managing an airline!

When UAL's 1Q results were announced and their stock tanked, I honestly wonder if Tilton STILL insisted on being a "player" in the new contemplated UA/CO merged entity. If he did, why on earth would any RESPONSIBLE BOD (ie CO's) choose to keep this inept exec on the payroll and put their well-managed company at mortal risk? I don't blame them one bit in calling off further merger plans with UAL.
BEST THING CONTINENTAL EVER DID!!!!!!!! Thankyou :up: :lol: CAL!! WORK HARD FLY RIGHT!!!! :up: :up: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.