Continental Airlines Chooses Not to Merge

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
story here
Continental Airlines released the following message to its more than 45,000 employees from Larry Kellner, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, and Jeff Smisek, President.

Dear Co-worker,

We want you to know that our Board of Directors met today and has
unanimously supported management's recommendation that, in the current
industry environment, the best course for Continental is to not merge
with another airline at this time.

Our recommendation, and the Board's careful and considered decision,
followed a comprehensive review of our strategic alternatives, assisted
by our senior officers and advised by Continental's outside financial and
legal advisors. The Board very carefully considered all the risks and
benefits of a merger with another airline, and determined that the risks
of a merger at this time outweigh the potential rewards, as compared to
Continental's prospects on a standalone basis.

We have significant cultural, operational and financial strengths
compared to the rest of the industry, and we want to protect and enhance
those strengths -- which we believe would be placed at risk in a merger
with another carrier in today's environment. We will, however, continue
to review potential alliances and our membership in SkyTeam. We are
considering alternatives to SkyTeam as we carefully evaluate which major
global alliance will be best for Continental over the long term.

While some would prefer to see Continental pursue a merger, we strongly
believe we have made the right decision -- one that is in the best
interests of our stockholders, co-workers, customers and the communities
we serve.

Every U.S. carrier, including Continental, is under enormous pressure
from record high fuel prices, a slowing U.S. economy and a weak dollar.
In today's harsh environment, we must continue to adjust our business
model to ensure we successfully navigate through these difficult times,
so that in the future we can once again grow and prosper. As we take
actions, we will communicate them to you as soon as possible. In the
meantime, we must all continue to concentrate on what we do so well:
delivering clean, safe and reliable air transportation every day.

Even in these tough times, we have great strengths. We have an enviable
position in the New York market, a powerful hub in Houston, and hubs in
Cleveland and Guam. We have a solid trans-Atlantic route network, which
has recently been enhanced by our access to London Heathrow. We also
have a great Latin American network and a growing portfolio of routes to

India and Asia. We fly the youngest, most fuel-efficient fleet and have
the best new aircraft order book among the major network carriers.

Most importantly, we have our Working Together culture, and we will
ensure it remains intact. We've achieved our industry-leading customer
service reputation because of you -- our co-workers. We will all work
together to get through these tough times.

We are both proud to be on your team.

Larry Jeff
story here

Continental left open the possibility of changing or forming new alliances, "We have significant cultural, operational and financial strengths compared to the rest of the industry, and we want to protect and enhance those strengths — which we believe would be placed at risk in a merger with another carrier in today's environment," a letter from Continental CEO Larry Kellner and President Jeff Smisek today said.

"We will, however, continue to review potential alliances and our membership in SkyTeam. We are considering alternatives to SkyTeam as we carefully evaluate which major global alliance will be best for Continental over the long term."

SkyTeam is Continental's international alliance that includes Delta and Northwest. The company has strongly hinted it might look to align elsewhere. Possible choices are Star Alliance, which includes United, or perhaps the group led by American Airlines.

story here

Congrats to you guys and gals!! I wish like hell we weren't merging with Northwest!!! :up:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

First;

Congrats to Larry Kellner, for having the BALLS to tell it like it is !!!!!!!!

cajun flyer,

Pardon me while I correct your post.

DL in NOT merging with NW,.............DL is TAKING OVER NW(as it stands)

Any time one GIVES UP their colors, has their HDQ's evaporated overnite, and surrenders their very Culture,........................that, is called a takeover.

However, I'm with you.

I hope like HEL*...NW backs out of the deal !!!

DL..NEEDS NW !!!

NW, does NOT NEED DL !!!!!!!!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

cajun flyer,

Pardon me while I correct your post.

DL in NOT merging with NW,.............DL is TAKING OVER NW(as it stands)

Any time one GIVES UP their colors, has their HDQ's evaporated overnite, and surrenders their very Culture,........................that, is called a takeover.
NW, does NOT NEED DL !!!!!!!!!

NH--Now if you'll pardon ME, I will correct your post. When you take something, it means you are engaging in the act of possessing an item that is not yours. But if the target ALLOWS themselves to be taken, as in "I will take her hand in marriage".....then it is not a takeover in the sense you are implying--meaning this is not a hostile takeover. NW is freely giving of themselves at the proverbial "altar"..is this not so?

NH--Now if you'll pardon ME, I will correct your post. When you take something, it means you are engaging in the act of possessing an item that is not yours. But if the target ALLOWS themselves to be taken, as in "I will take her hand in marriage".....then it is not a takeover in the sense you are implying--meaning this is not a hostile takeover. NW is freely giving of themselves at the proverbial "altar"..is this not so?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

YES "Luke", you are correct.
I "mis-posted"

For the record, I DON'T blame Anderson for what he's "trying" to attempt,....BUT I believe STEENLAND has earned the right to be.."CASTRATED" !!

His actions are akin to Benedict Arnold !

I guess it doesn't matter anymore because CAL has said "No Thanks" UA will be sniffing around Phoenix now I suppose and I'm sure that will be a doozy. Now we have AmWest (ALPA) USAir(Independent) and UA (ALPA). Looks like a good old fashioned mud-slinging fest to me!

Congrats CAL workers. Your management team is second to none. Finally, true leadership at a major airline has stood up to the "shareholders" and told them they wouldn't risk decades of great customer service and good labor relations so a few hedge fund managers could make a quick buck. Best of luck to you guys, not that you'll need it. :up:

Congrats CAL workers. Your management team is second to none. Finally, true leadership at a major airline has stood up to the "shareholders" and told them they wouldn't risk decades of great customer service and good labor relations so a few hedge fund managers could make a quick buck. Best of luck to you guys, not that you'll need it. :up:

Thats right, CAL does have a great mgmt. team... Too bad it left UAL standing at the dance alone =( ... LOL... Anywho.. The problem is costs, and much of that has to do with fuel, which an airline cant totally control. CAL, may be wishing that it had merged in a year or so... Saying that, UAL would have immediately increased its costs by merging with CAL - DRASTICALLY!!! It works for CAL b/c they really only have EWR and IAH to worry about.. Little competition at those particular airports and very easy to control.. UAL would have had to have given its workers pay parity, and increased its costs ALOT, which we would have all enjoyed.. Now if UAL merges with US, we have similar pay, and more overlapping routes that can be nixed, just like they want to reduce competition.. From a business standpoint, US is a better choice if the bloodbath from employees doesn't get too bad... I wouldnt count on it though...

From a business standpoint, US is a better choice.

I think you have downed too much of your "Hi-C". What does US bring to the table that UA doesn't already have?

CO brings much more of Europe than US does, Just as much of the Carribean and many more point south of the border that US doesn't even go to. What advantage would a merger with US get UA. Maybe you think tying to boat anchor together is going to help you float better. But in reality it just takes you to the bottom faster.

Even after CO spurned UA, UA made a smart decision not to go with US.