Code share fare madness!

EyeInTheSky

Veteran
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Check this out!
Was looking at booking a flight from ORD-CVG -- look what I pulled up on Expedia. It's the same damn flight -- if I book the US "code share" it's $290 more. WTF! Tempe, you cannot be serious here. Is there any logical explaination for this?? This is just assinine.

$449
11:30 am Depart Chicago (ORD)
Arrive Cincinnati (CVG) 1:43 pm Fri 10-Aug
Duration: 1hr 13mn United 5341
Nonstop flight

$739
Duration: 1hr 13mn US Airways 7760
Nonstop flight

Later,
Eye

I see the same thing all the time when booking corporate travel. But . . . what's even more odd is that sometime I will see a US Airways operated flight that is priced LOWER if booked on United - what gives?

Check this out!
Was looking at booking a flight from ORD-CVG -- look what I pulled up on Expedia. It's the same damn flight -- if I book the US "code share" it's $290 more. WTF! Tempe, you cannot be serious here. Is there any logical explaination for this?? This is just assinine.

$449
Duration: 1hr 13mn United 5341
Nonstop flight
$739
Duration: 1hr 13mn US Airways 7760
Nonstop flight

Later,
Eye

I would say that the lower fares are sold out on the USAir codeshare seats. Why is that assinine?

Sounds to me like the carrier gets a certain amount of seat fares they can sell, as they sell that, their available fares diminish, causing the price to go up.

US Airways probably gets their own inventory they can sell from United and vice-versa.

I see the same thing all the time when booking corporate travel. But . . . what's even more odd is that sometime I will see a US Airways operated flight that is priced LOWER if booked on United - what gives?

Same here, saw the same thing just today when pricing PHL-AUA for a client. Code share purchase through UA was HUNDREDS cheaper than US. It happens everyday on hundreds of city pairs. Complete lunacy. And btw...I book away from US whenever possible...booking US is just asking for additional trouble and even more problems from complaining vacation buyers and clients. NO THANKS! I'm sick of the complaints about US, there's a myriad of other issues that come up without adding US to the mix! :down:

flybynite,
It's a game alright! A losing one at that. Until the airlines (particularly US Airways) figures out the best way to price fares and best work the distribution system they get all the misery they deserve.

Later,
Eye

It's a game, little darlings, just a game they have been playing for quite some time. :D