Colodny Against Abandoning Pit

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
Ex-airline chief against abandoning hub

By Steve Halvonik
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, August 19, 2004

Edwin Colodny, the former chairman and chief executive officer of US Airways, said Wednesday he was personally offended that the present management team is dismantling the hub operation he built at Pittsburgh International Airport.

Article

Jim

Colodny would be sitting on AFA's board seat if it wasn't for the age requirement.

I salute you sir!

Thanks Steve, for interviewing him in the Tribune.

Wasn't he in charge when US Airways bought PSA and Piedmont? So who is he to criticize others?

BoeingBoy said:
Ex-airline chief against abandoning hub

By Steve Halvonik
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, August 19, 2004

Edwin Colodny, the former chairman and chief executive officer of US Airways, said Wednesday he was personally offended that the present management team is dismantling the hub operation he built at Pittsburgh International Airport.

Article

Jim
[post="170345"][/post]​

PitBull,

From my perspective from the other side of the "merger window", I see Colodny as neither Saint nor Sinner. Do I think every choice he made was the correct one - no. But neither do I think that all of his choices were wrong either.

One thing for sure, though. No one can say he didn't care about the fate of this airline and it's employees.

Jim

PITbull said:
VC10,

You must have forgotten, this airline went on to make billions after that, profits started in 1995.
[post="170435"][/post]​

And, ya know what, USAir had essentially no California network left in about 1995. Most everything had already been pawned off to Express.

ITRADE said:
And, ya know what, USAir had essentially no California network left in about 1995. Most everything had already been pawned off to Express.
[post="170442"][/post]​

See this article:

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/04004/257911.stm

"US Airways, in the 1980s, was sitting on a "gold mine," making it "the darling of Wall Street," said William Lauer of Tarentum-based Allegheny Capital Management, which holds several airline stocks and has been a longtime follower of US Airways and its predecessors.

The airline's slow slide began with Edwin Colodny, the man credited with making US Airways, or USAir as it was known at the time, profitable in the first place."

"By the time [the PSA and Piedmont merger] was done, USAir was a real mess in terms of massively conflicting schedules, employee groups that had to be merged and then one problem after another," Lauer said. The deals, he added, "really destroyed USAir's high quality financial profile and left it something of a financial basket case in the early 1990s."

Colodny is the "Architect of the Disaster". It was his decisions that have brought us to this. Let's turn back 767 orders ,not buy 757's lets instead buy the F-100. During his reign international was said to be "the flea on the back of the dog". Where could we be now if things were done differently then? He have no vision for what U could have become. To him we were a niche carrier. There have been many years of poor management decisions, but it all traces it roots back to him.

Uncle Ed is the resaon were in this mess today , or at least part of it. He made money by not looking forward and making people fly Usair, with no choice. The heck with customer service. You flew or didnt fly, basically. Im not surprised he doesnt want Pit shafted. He lived and breathed it. Oh well reality is Mr C, is loan us some money?

Chief among Colodny's mistakes was keeping two hubs in the state of PA. He ignored this obvious error for political reasons, and the nonsense went on for way too long. It was probably because he cared about his employees, but unpopular decisions have to be made. DAY and IND were wasted away.