Combined carriers' policies and procedures

Aryeh

Jul 27, 2003
I might learn how, through qik training, how to perform an entry equivalent to what I've done in Sabre. Now I can to a task, even if more tedious and slower, than before.
But not yet has the company addressed policies and procedures! Definitely there are policies and procedures on the east and west sides that differ or exist on one side but not the other. And, in general, we've heard a blending of both will be used, composed of the best of both sides.
With integration fast approaching, nothing has been addressed, nor instructed in the area of policies and procedures.
When a familiar situation occurs with an east agent, does he or she respond as they should have in the past?
How does a west agent deal with such a situation that's new to him or her?
Example (one can think of hundreds of others): Domestic baggage allowances often don't apply to a passenger's journey when in connection with an international ticket. East agents are or should be aware of this. West agents are not and tell me they will apply domestic baggage rules to all passengers. This is incorrect policy and counter to IATA policy too.
I don't want discuss baggage policy here. My point is that for many reason, each airline often has policies that differed or not addressed at all. Will all this be reconciled upon integration so we all, at least in theory, handle like situations consistently?
I have a hunch that many on the west side, because they've rarely dealt with certain issues, aren't aware of things because they've not dealt with them.

(Replying to myself with another example)
DM preferred are ordered on the priority list based upon their level and checkin time. (From what passengers tell me they're told by many employees, it seems not many within the company clearly get it or, at least, can correctly explain it.)

Come integration, I'm sure all this will change. But to what? When will we be informed and be on the same page? When will the DM members be informed and, hopefully, be on the same page?

Call the (no) help desk for the answer. :shock: Actually, they have gotten better recently.
It all goes back to training (or lack of). A newhire recently asked about getting briefings (we dont). We explained DRS and Customer Briefing in the computer. No one had bothered to tell them to check it out and they dont always get posted on the memo board.
Easiest way to get the info out is to make a million copies of the new policy and place them in the breakroom to get thrown out at the end of the night with the rest of the newspapers and junk. :down:
Until training is taken seriously we will continue to have haphazard implementation of the rules. If you can find it great, and if not, too bad, just make it up. :blink:

I might learn how, through qik training,

The West Ticket counter agent are quite versed checking bag in domestic and international, due to the Fact that HP was a feader for BA, JAL, QF, NZ, SQ, etc airline both in PHX and LAS. Lots of time Pax needed to pay for extra pieces, as well as for extra weight if it did not meet international standards. The Newbieas m ight not know, but they always can ask the SSR and Sups.

If you are referring to a pnr its a special service request, for example wheelchair request. If not I dont know, sorry. Mama

If you are referring to a pnr its a special service request, for example wheelchair request. If not I dont know, sorry. Mama
how can you ask a SSR in a PNR a question
just kidding I know what a SSR is in a PNR

The West Ticket counter agent are quite versed checking bag in domestic and international, due to the Fact that HP was a feader for BA, JAL, QF, NZ, SQ, etc airline both in PHX and LAS. Lots of time Pax needed to pay for extra pieces, as well as for extra weight if it did not meet international standards. The Newbieas m ight not know, but they always can ask the SSR and Sups.
isnt the west policy 2 bags for free even if you are going to mexico? Anything over is extra charge? I do not feel well versed any more....and I am not a newbie....ask my supes...??? They are still learning right next to us...

we too are asking what policy changes are going to happen and when will then company be telling us? We supposedly have this qik over sabre which was supposed to be just like qik----not. We have had to relearn as we go....gate procedures are different....which policy do we follow? I have only been doing qik over sabre since 1/15...there is a lot I like that I wish trnsfers over to qik....I watch a lot that is done on sabre...a lot I wish we could do on qik....anyhow...seems like no one can tell us which policies because the sand castle may not even know themselves....????????

how can you ask a SSR in a PNR a question
just kidding I know what a SSR is in a PNR
Ok OK I didnt get it. John, I should've known better than to think you dint know but I didnt know if they called it something else on the east! Sorry! When you figure out how to ask a SSR in a PNR a question let ME know! LOL Mama

isnt the west policy 2 bags for free even if you are going to mexico? Anything over is extra charge? I do not feel well versed any more....and I am not a newbie....ask my supes...??? They are still learning right next to us...

we too are asking what policy changes are going to happen and when will then company be telling us? We supposedly have this qik over sabre which was supposed to be just like qik----not. We have had to relearn as we go....gate procedures are different....which policy do we follow? I have only been doing qik over sabre since 1/15...there is a lot I like that I wish trnsfers over to qik....I watch a lot that is done on sabre...a lot I wish we could do on qik....anyhow...seems like no one can tell us which policies because the sand castle may not even know themselves....????????
As far as I know same policy for Mexico as domestic. Also,most international are the same as domestic even if you are connecting to another carrier with higher weight allowances. There are a few exceptions. Mama

SSR=Red Coat on the ground at the gate and at the ticket counter.

Ok OK I didnt get it. John, I should've known better than to think you dint know but I didnt know if they called it something else on the east! Sorry! When you figure out how to ask a SSR in a PNR a question let ME know! LOL Mama
As far as I know same policy for Mexico as domestic. Also,most international are the same as domestic even if you are connecting to another carrier with higher weight allowances. There are a few exceptions. Mama

I am afraid you are not correct. When connecting to International you always need to look up the US and the given airline agrrement on tariff re:baggs. If you do not charge them and they catch, they will charge back US airways and eventually comes done to the "checking in agent" It happened before amny times.

The above is a case in point...

"West" policy (or "East," for that matter) regarding the free baggage allowance and excess, do not necessarily apply to a passenger on an international journey. However, West agents with whom I work say HP policy is applicable always. They've never been told, it seems, that baggage rules are based upon the fare on the ticket. For example, if a through fare is used, from PHX to SEA, then NW to TYO (Tokyo), NW's baggage policy (US to Japan) should be applied; not each carriers' rules nor only HP's or only NW's. Typically, on a through fare, the over-the-water carrier's rule applies to the journey. In some cases, even for flights solely within the US, the rules of the over-the-water carrier apply! As a member of the Star Alliance, all should at least know our rules, may or may not apply, and a call rates to rates may be in order. I pray the new rates people know this stuff.

So much seems to be new or never heard of to HP people. And they don't seem to know there's stuff they ought to know.

SSR=Red Coat on the ground at the gate and at the ticket counter.

I am afraid you are not correct. When connecting to International you always need to look up the US and the given airline agrrement on tariff re:baggs. If you do not charge them and they catch, they will charge back US airways and eventually comes done to the "checking in agent" It happened before amny times.
You are probably right but I was looking at it differently. What I was saying is that if US/HP flight was connecting to OAL and OAL had a higher weight allowance, I assumed HP/US would charge over weight amount for US/HP segments. I dont work the work gates or ATO so again I dont know. I hopes this clarifies my post! Thanx Mama!
PS Many employees are just starting crossover training and maybe this will be covered. Too many dont know a thing about the Star Alliance.

Latest posts