Consequences Of Section 1113

vc10

Advanced
Apr 13, 2004
So, suppose US Airways ends up in Ch 11, and suppose management goes for a quick Sec 1113 motion to impose new terms on recalcitrant unions (e.g. IAM, potentially CWA).

Do the IAM and CWA give management what it needs? Or do they continue to refuse?

Second question: assuming one or more of the unions refuse, and the judge imposes new terms, do those unions strike (as they are entitled to do)?

Last question: suppose, following a successful Sec 1113 motion by US Airways, one or more unions strike. Suppose, in fact, it is the IAM. Would ALPA cross the picket line, if the alternative was the collapse of US Airways?

vc10 said:
So, suppose US Airways ends up in Ch 11, and suppose management goes for a quick Sec 1113 motion to impose new terms on recalcitrant unions (e.g. IAM, potentially CWA).

Do the IAM and CWA give management what it needs? Or do they continue to refuse?

Second question: assuming one or more of the unions refuse, and the judge imposes new terms, do those unions strike (as they are entitled to do)?

Last question: suppose, following a successful Sec 1113 motion by US Airways, one or more unions strike. Suppose, in fact, it is the IAM. Would ALPA cross the picket line, if the alternative was the collapse of US Airways?
[post="169319"][/post]​

ALPA would cross in a heart-beat. If we cut a deal there is no reason not to. If we are going to try to save the company why would we help someone else destroy it? If there is no ALPA deal then some may honor the lines.

jsut my $.02

vc10 said:
Would ALPA cross the picket line, if the alternative was the collapse of US Airways?
[post="169319"][/post]​
IN A HEART BEAT...Look to history and here we are even in worse shape. The Neanderthals will be crossed as it was before.

IMHO...It will never get that far

jimntx said:
I thought the AFL-CIO standard was that no member union crosses the picket lines of another member union.
[post="169334"][/post]​
those rulles don't apply above 10,000 feet.
i got a question also:ALPA usually has a penchant for not accepting givebacks unless everybody does(MEE TOO)-do you think they will go it alone this time or hold out?
another query: if you renegotiate givebacks in BK....don't they only apply while in BK and go up for renegotiation after emergence??(IAM scheme ??)
history lesson part one: anybody remember dave bronner crowing after the last giveback session as to how we'd have some 6 or 7 years of labor tranquility??? :up:

cavalier said:
IN A HEART BEAT...Look to history and here we are even in worse shape. The Neanderthals will be crossed as it was before.

IMHO...It will never get that far
[post="169339"][/post]​

Why not?

Folks, if any union strikes, the doors will be shut almost immediately. I think everyone here knows that.

All,

Let’s get hypothetical here for a moment. Say in the future the competition is able to fly their jets with one pilot. Will you remaining labor groups take the union high road and not cross the picket line when they strike? I think NOT. You will scream just as the pilots do that they will not subsidize an inefficient group as compared to competition.

In my world of right and wrong you fight your battles on your own strength. If your Union is not up to the fight so be it. Hence my feelings about crossing anothers line. Now if my union sanctioned honoring the strike I would do so.

The REVENUE PIE is only so big….sharing is the problem.

If the company gets TA's with ALPA, AFA, and maybe the CWA and wins the A320 outsourcing grievance, maybe the IAM-M will not have to worry about a deal. The company could let their contract remain in place and then replace the 158 Boeing aircraft as fast as possible and make the IAM-M irelevant by furloughing the majority of the mechanics.

This way those who remain could help rebuild the company and have higher profit sharing checks, if the IAM elects to not participate in the new business plan.

The IAM has a choice and so does the company, since the IAM is the only large union refusing to negotiate.

Repectfully,

USA320Pilot

Yet another fear grenade.

"replace the 158 Boeing aircraft as fast as possible"

Or they could get rid of 158 aircraft and furlough their pilots.

I think the answer to the original question is . . . . yes, once they find some hocus pocus, slight of hand excuse to call an IAM strike not really a strike. They'll call it an "out of contract" demonstration . . . or something like that.

vc10 said:
Why not?
[post="169342"][/post]​
For one: Read the captains response.

For two: We are in worse shape than some believe, there are too many LCC's ready for U's business for a prolonged labor dispute to occur.

For three: The IAM membership is firm, I work with these men and they can’t be anymore serious than they are about just saying NO, and considering it all, I can't say I blame them in the least!

Good Luck.

Winglet said:
Yet another fear grenade.

"replace the 158 Boeing aircraft as fast as possible"

Or they could get rid of 158 aircraft and furlough their pilots.
I think the answer to the original question is . . . . yes, once they find some hocus pocus, slight of hand excuse to call an IAM strike not really a strike. They'll call it an "out of contract" demonstration . . . or something like that.
[post="169376"][/post]​

Don't be surprised if they do just that and it ends up as a decision GB has to make.

MrAeroMan said:
Don't be surprised if they do just that and it ends up as a decision GB has to make.
[post="169384"][/post]​

No more ETA's deadlines with heavy maintenance.

Way less mechanics and foremen who all receive good wages and benefits.

New aircraft like new cars needing nothing and if so fall under the manufactures warranty.

Like 700’s world...800 mechanics tops to do line work, all support shops history along with the personel in labor and management that recently occupied those shops, this of course also includes utility and stores, far fewer in those positions as well.

If you saw what needs done to the 37's to keep them afloat, especially with the fact Boeing doesn't exactly work well with U’s engineering considering the fact they went with Airbus over Boeing and now are asking for help all the time...duh. Considering these facts, Boeing disappearing overnight sounds like a good business decision actually.