Contiental wants United to buy them

I, personally, cannot see UA going through all this BK stuff and then turning around and buying another carrier and going through that headache. just my thoughts........

I agree...UAL has enough problems keeping going without worrying about a merger.

Well get ready,
Tilton and the boys will make a move on Continental, here are UAL's problem, UAL needs the Northeast, It needs additional Latin and South America, it needs additional Europe and Pacific, it needs additional aircraft. Why stand in line to purchase new aircraft when you can get them overnight and fill gaps in your system for pennies on the dollar. CAL has reasonably good management, but it has huge recapitalisation issues. UA buys CAL with an additional investment by LH, all of the senior executives line their pockets again and all of the employes are left holding the bag. Will happen in the next 12 months. They are working on it now.

Well get ready,
Tilton and the boys will make a move on Continental, here are UAL's problem, UAL needs the Northeast, It needs additional Latin and South America, it needs additional Europe and Pacific, it needs additional aircraft. Why stand in line to purchase new aircraft when you can get them overnight and fill gaps in your system for pennies on the dollar. CAL has reasonably good management, but it has huge recapitalisation issues. UA buys CAL with an additional investment by LH, all of the senior executives line their pockets again and all of the employes are left holding the bag. Will happen in the next 12 months. They are working on it now.

..don't worry, Tilton and Boys have been paid, new management is coming, Guess Who?

Continental Airlines will have the best route system in the world...

...sooon. ;)

Not to mention:

Gordon and his crew will also move the UA HQ! Good-bye ORD, hello IAH!

That's probably true but the name will remain UNITED. CO has very little name recognition in Asia. Name is very important to Asians and United has it.

So how do you suppose they are going to handle the 'poison share' at NW?

UA will buy CO with outside money. Wall Street likes the deal.
HQ will move to Houston.
Most of the management after a merger will be from CO.
All the top people will line their pockets.

Sounds like a very plausible scenario.

What will happen to CO's pensions if UA is the buying entity?
Maybe it is time for CO's employees to wake up to that possibility and fight hard against it.

If the remaining company is United, then I doubt the CO employees will be allowed to keep their pensions.

This possible merger sounds exactly like US Airways. Name remains but other airline runs it. Interesting.

Lets just see how UA works outside of BK. :blink: They just got out with fresh new money. Lets see how long that money will last. US was within 7 days of closing shop and turned around with fresh money, but there is alot of speculation if they will really make it or not. :unsure: I guess time will tell. :ninja:

CO has very little name recognition in Asia. Name is very important to Asians and United has it.
Actually CO flys to more of Asia than United. They have been flying to to the region probably 3 times as many years as UA, if you include their flights out of Guam. Name recoginition isn't always the best thing. Just look at USAir. There service was piss poor on the west coast. I'm sure that there are pax's that will not fly them when they become "The New USAir" and AWA disappears.

United is the airline with the strongest Asian presence. That isn't even arguable. It's not like people are knocking themselves out to fly to Guam. United has the Chinese and Japanese route structure that all the others (excluding NW) are dying to get their hands on.

The difference between US and UAL is that United has kept up the service while so many others (especially US) have dropped service.

I believe (hope!) that a CO/UAL merger would be a success for all concerned.

Combined, would UAL/CO be larger than AA? I know that UAL was the biggest until AA took over TWA but not sure how much has been cut since that time to see who'd be the biggest now.

What is the speculation on seniority integration?

As has been pointed out by 1 or 2 others, this merger is currently being worked on at both ends. It's going to happen. The only question is the timing and the financing being worked out. Most of UA's current senior management will be out the door (finally). CO's senior management will be running the show. Take a guess who will be the top dog?