Continental Airlines Mechanic Pay Increases

HI-LOCK

Aug 30, 2002
CAL is following through on a promise to pay industry standard scales to its Teamsters represented employees.The top scale mechanic will get a 23% increase retroactive to Jan 1,2002.The Teamsters Union rocks!---Source:Yahoo Finance News

At Continental, Lorenzo was unable - some would say unwilling - to negotiate any further with the airline's labor unions. Lorenzo filed for bankruptcy. The move allowed him to fire union employees and restart the airline with a non-union staff. He cut wages in half and forced new rules requiring longer hours, shorter breaks, and no guaranteed time off. The unions protested, but were unable to have Lorenzo's actions overturned.

http://www.pbs.org/kcet/chasingthesun/inno...s/florenzo.html

Let me see, he cuts their wages in half then they get a 23% raise, their mechanics are still making less than our Fleet Service Clerks by my math.

[STRONG][EM]What is so different at this airline that the raises still come through while AA and others seek paycuts or raise eliminations? Was there a concession in other areas that we do not have information about?[/EM][/STRONG]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/27/2002 10:01:34 PM thedog wrote:

[STRONG][EM]What is so different at this airline that the raises still come through while AA and others seek paycuts or raise eliminations? Was there a concession in other areas that we do not have information about?[/EM][/STRONG]
----------------
[/blockquote]

It matters where you started. CALs pilots have been dragging down industry wages for over a decade now.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/27/2002 10:16:23 PM AAquila wrote:

At Continental, Lorenzo was unable - some would say unwilling - to negotiate any further with the airline's labor unions. Lorenzo filed for bankruptcy. The move allowed him to fire union employees and restart the airline with a non-union staff. He cut wages in half and forced new rules requiring longer hours, shorter breaks, and no guaranteed time off. The unions protested, but were unable to have Lorenzo's actions overturned.

Let me see, he cuts their wages in half then they get a 23% raise, their mechanics are still making less than our Fleet Service Clerks by my math.

----------------
[/blockquote]

I don't care if their pay is 12.00/hr,to get a 23% pay raise in today's airline market is a major feat!

[BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/27/2002 10:05:39 PM Busdrvr wrote: [BR][BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]It matters where you started. CALs pilots have been dragging down industry wages for over a decade now.[/BLOCKQUOTE][BR][BR]----------------[BR][BR][STRONG][EM]Have not also the AA Mechanics done the same in the inudstry with B-Scale, SRP's, JR Mechs, Flex Heatlh, MBTH Outsource, and Part Time help to name a few?[/EM][/STRONG][/BLOCKQUOTE][BR][BR][STRONG][EM][/EM][/STRONG]

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/28/2002 1:10:57 AM rampguy wrote:
[P]They will top out at $33 per hour. Approx $10 less per hour than fleet svc.[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][FONT face=System] I hope you mean more.if aa is payin guys 43 bucks at top scale to toss bags you guys will be ch11 next week.[/FONT][/P]

Assuming that the projections for CALs demise are exaggerated, below are the highlights and a link to them.

CAL Maintenance & Related Agreement Highlights.
http://www.the-mechanic.com/pdf/cal_tentag...agmt_021018.pdf

Teamster website:
http://www.teamster.org/divisions/airline/...airlinehead.asp

Duration:
4 year deal with openers on economic items in '03 with agreement to jointly apply for mediation on 01-01-04 if there is no agreement.

Compensation:
CAL AMTs will recieve an "all-in" beginning rate of 15.41/hour for the first six months rising $1.29 with the next six months and roughly a $1.30/year thereafter until the final raise at year six of roughly $4.36.

CAL AMTs will recieve an "all-in" top rate of $33.00/hour as of 01/01/03.

CAL AMTs will also recieve a retroactive paycheck within two weeks of the DOS.

Retirement:
Pension Plan:
Effective DOS, all time w/ Continental and any airline merged into Continental is credited towards retirement.

Emps retiring before 01-01-04 with 30 or more years of service to be paid $20,000.00 at time of retirement and an additional $20,000.00 on 04/01/04. Eligible employees must notify CAL by 07/01/03 of intent to recieve the payment.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/28/2002 1:45:57 AM Not_One_More_Cent wrote:

[BLOCKQUOTE]
----------------
On 12/28/2002 1:10:57 AM rampguy wrote:

They will top out at $33 per hour. Approx $10 less per hour than fleet svc.[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]

[FONT face=System] I hope you mean more.if aa is payin guys 43 bucks at top scale to toss bags you guys will be ch11 next week.[/FONT][/P]
----------------
[/blockquote]

Yep, I did slip up. Thanks for catching that. It should have said MORE instead of less.

[STRONG][EM]And now we talk about Frank Lorenzo instead of mechanic pay increases?[BR][BR]I get very confused reading these boards that do no stay on topic. Excuse my stupidity.[BR][BR]I thought Lorenzo was out of the industry for over a decade now.[BR][BR]This complete discussion appears to belong on the [/EM][FONT color=#666666 size=3]Continental Airlines Board.[/FONT][/STRONG]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/27/2002 10:16:23 PM AAquila wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

You left out a lot. CAL filed again, Lorenzo was seen to be "unfit" to run any airline and was bounced out of the industry.
When CAL filed the first time under Lorenzo his sole purpose for filing was to void the pilots contract, he had already beaten the mechanics thanks to the co-operation he received from the ALPA represented pilots who willingly crossed the mechanics pickets and the double digit unemployment rate ( the highest since the Great Depression). The pilots felt that they were safe because they had a contract, a judge, who later became an employee of Lorenzo presided over the case. As a result of the misuse of the law the BK code was changed to restrict the ability of companies using it to void labor contracts. This revision of the code covers only labor contracts.