Crew Rest Bunks.....A Potential Gold Mine or Management Spending A Dollar to Save A Nickel?

"Do you not understand either way you are going to lose seats, overhead space or cargo space with the crew rest area."

I understand an opinion when I hear one. Your opining doesn't give me any worthwhile information. On the other hand thanks etop1, your post did give me some good info. As always, you're clued in man :)

"Do you not understand either way you are going to lose seats, overhead space or cargo space with the crew rest area."

I understand an opinion when I hear one. Your opining doesn't give me any worthwhile information. On the other hand thanks etop1, your post did give me some good info. As always, you're clued in man :)
no prob. have fun in spain.

Here is an example of crew rest

Taking up overheard space.

More info

From Airbus itself:
Even the area below the main cabin has been the focus of Airbus innovation. The company is a pioneer in utilising lower deck space for options such as sleeper cabins, passenger or crew rest areas and lavatories.

From NWA:

At NW, we have them on both the A332, and the 333. It's called the LDMCR(Lower-Deck Mobile Crew Rest area) which means it can removed quickly to accomodate additional cargo. It sleeps 6. When we saw this was part of the A330, we thought the company would remove it on the A333, because the -300 rarely flies more than 9.5 hours, and crew rest breaks are less than 90 minutes, so the crew rest areas go unused sometimes on the transatlantic legs. They're much more comfortable, and quiet than the 744 crew rest area. I haven't been on a 332 yet, because we rarely fly on one out of DTW except for an interport flight(within Asia), but the, SEA and SFO-based crews seem to like it, since they fly on them the most.

If a round trip envoy seat is $4400, then that seat could be worth $30,800 based on flying it 7 days a week. That $30,800 x 365 days comes to $11,242,000. With 9 A330s on the property this comes to $101,178,000.

Just a comment on the math listed: RT envoy seat is $4400 x 365 days per year = $1,606,000 x 9 aircraft = $14,454,000.

You have an extra x7 in your calculation.

On a side note, it seems like you would lose some space by just trying to access the ceiling or floor. Would that take up more than one seat?

Well, I have to say our crew rest at UAL is nice, 6 crew bunks and 2 seats upstairs on the 747 and Lower cargo rest on the 777... That KLM photo looks not so nice, our bunks our way nicer than that.. On the 767 we have a " sound - light proof curtain" for our business class seats.. The pilots have bunks in the cockpit... At least they didn't chinch on this... good luck on getting US to do this...

i wrote to andrew nocella about this issue. he told me that the A330-200's are not considered a long range a/c therefore ,no crew bunks will be installed for the cabin crew.
What about the cockpit crew?

Who gets to determine whether an aircraft is "long range" or not and what would be their criteria?

My hunch is that the space taken up by bunks down below would displace more cargo revenue than the revenue from a seat in the Envoy cabin. And for the A333 routes that aren't blocked more than 8-9 hours anyway, it doesn't really seem to make sense to put a crew rest area for the short naps that are taken.

Latest posts