Crew Schedue And Lots Of Open Time

Royal Ambassador said:
Anybody know why leaves were awarded through April when flights are going out understaffed? Please explain. Thanks.
[post="229969"][/post]​
I don't have an answer for that, but I know for fact that if they can't get enough f/a's to take leave next year, they will furlough more f/a's. I know they recalled a few not too long ago, but I guess that's what they will have to do. I know it's so stupid to recall them and then furlough them again. But I guess that's AA for ya!!!

TWAnr said:
This is the epitome of the miserable company employee relations at AA. :down:

The goodwill that will be generated by accommodating reasonable requests by crew members, which can be accommodated without negatively affecting staffing, will pay off in the long run.

Just look at what a happy workforce accomplishes at JetBlue.
[post="230086"][/post]​
Yeah, but they're not unionized. And they work their a**es off from lifting somebody's bags(IOD city) to cleaning the cabin. They must be not too happy about it. Don't they also have to reapply every 5 years and they can't make over certain amount of $$$ a year????

Finding F/A's to take leaves is NOT a problem. Where you get your facts, I am not too sure. Plus the pace in which people are leaving is going to help as well. NOV. alone saw 105 (f/a's) leave the company one way or another. I predict that many for DEC. as well. I also predict that if things stay the same, by summer there will be another small recall to fill open slots. We could conceivably lose 500 some odd F/A's by summer, with the pace they have been leaving. That would be about the entire group they just recalled.

IORFA said:
Finding F/A's to take leaves is NOT a problem. Where you get your facts, I am not too sure. Plus the pace in which people are leaving is going to help as well. NOV. alone saw 105 (f/a's) leave the company one way or another. I predict that many for DEC. as well. I also predict that if things stay the same, by summer there will be another small recall to fill open slots. We could conceivably lose 500 some odd F/A's by summer, with the pace they have been leaving. That would be about the entire group they just recalled.
[post="230267"][/post]​
I called APFA and that's what they told me...:)

IORFA said:
[post="230267"][/post]​
Finding f/a's to take leave, in fact, was a problem last July. It was because they would had to pay for their own medical. Many f/a's couldn't afford to take leave because of it. I was impacted by furlough last year because not enough f/a's took leave, but thank God, I've been back since Dec 2003. That's why I'm not so optimistic. Also, we're not clear from filing BK either. It might very well happen to us still. If not, AA will ask us for more concessions(very inevitable), you watch. Then more layoffs to follow. I'm not being negative, I've been there(being impacted by reduction in force) and I'm just being realistic considering the current situation in aviation industry. I hope many people will retire, but we don't know that. I just hope for the best and when the bottom falls out, I'm prepared for it.

operaations,

For the record I am LEGITIMATELY on the sick list and have been trapped at my crashpad since the 11DEC. I spent my 5 days off here because I have not been able to move (no energy or appetite) until today. I also would have blown my right eardrum out if I tried to fly home.

I have been absolutely miserable and I'm losing 25 hours of Incentive Pay for this month because I am on the sick list.

Today I finally had the energy to go to the ER at a hospital where they prescribed me exactly what my Primary Care Physician would prescribe me at almost $60 more for the visit than my co-pay with my Doctor in MIA. God knows what I'll co-pay for the X-Rays.

I have a virus and a major sinus infection but not bronchitis or pneumonia (which I was starting to fear with the duration), thank goodness.

I guess if I was sketchy I would have risked the ruptured eardrum to be home in MIA (and the cheaper Doctor fees vs. an ER visit). However, I stayed at my base, hoping I would be better for my trip 5 days later and not lose my incentive hours. That did not happen.

I have been through the eardrum thing before and that is a pain I wish on NOBODY. When you don't work in a pressurized environment, I don't think you quite understand it. I know when I should not be on a plane at all. This included my 5 days off.

I am bored senseless and want to get back to being "normal". I'm ready to go back to work but the physician has pulled me until a follow-up visit 2 days from now. Now I have to fight the FMLA rejection machine and deal with all that bureaucracy. In my perfect world, I would have spent my 5 days off plastered to the couch in the crashpad and been rip-roaring ready to go on my next trip, not losing any extra hours and CERTAINLY not paying for an ER visit...not to mention having a VERY RARE 19 hour LAS layover.

On the next to the last trip I worked, 3 of 4 of us had sniffles. At my crashpad, 2 others besides me were sick...it appears I won the virus medal. They had 3 day colds and did not call in, I HAD TO. They are on RSV!

One told me how she nearly popped her eardrum going home.

It's easy to be jaded when you hear people calling in sick all the time but recognize with the time of year that people can really be sick.

December is always too lucrative for me to be on the sick list. This is now the 3rd month in a row that I won't fly 100 hours. October was RSV, November I was stung with a trip-removal (when I needed days off, ended up flying 2 freebie turns for the company), and now this.

I hope you can feel my frustration from this setback. If I was going to spend X-mas anywhere, it would be RDU but I hope to be flying the LAS turn I bid instead. My family knows I fly holidays.

However, I need to get to MIA for 24 hours to renew my parking sticker since they weren't in when I was last there. I hope I have a Jan "grace period".

This is our world,

Coop

SLT

p.s. weird thing, when I signed in earlier tonight, I showed a new supervisor in MIA in AAFLTSVC, it disappeared when I signed back in, what was THAT about?

flydcoop said:
operaations,

For the record I am LEGITIMATELY on the sick list and have been trapped at my crashpad since the 11DEC. I spent my 5 days off here because I have not been able to move (no energy or appetite) until today. I also would have blown my right eardrum out if I tried to fly home.

I have been absolutely miserable and I'm losing 25 hours of Incentive Pay for this month because I am on the sick list.

Today I finally had the energy to go to the ER at a hospital where they prescribed me exactly what my Primary Care Physician would prescribe me at almost $60 more for the visit than my co-pay with my Doctor in MIA. God knows what I'll co-pay for the X-Rays.

I have a virus and a major sinus infection but not bronchitis or pneumonia (which I was starting to fear with the duration), thank goodness.

I guess if I was sketchy I would have risked the ruptured eardrum to be home in MIA (and the cheaper Doctor fees vs. an ER visit). However, I stayed at my base, hoping I would be better for my trip 5 days later and not lose my incentive hours. That did not happen.

I have been through the eardrum thing before and that is a pain I wish on NOBODY. When you don't work in a pressurized environment, I don't think you quite understand it. I know when I should not be on a plane at all. This included my 5 days off.

I am bored senseless and want to get back to being "normal". I'm ready to go back to work but the physician has pulled me until a follow-up visit 2 days from now. Now I have to fight the FMLA rejection machine and deal with all that bureaucracy. In my perfect world, I would have spent my 5 days off plastered to the couch in the crashpad and been rip-roaring ready to go on my next trip, not losing any extra hours and CERTAINLY not paying for an ER visit...not to mention having a VERY RARE 19 hour LAS layover.

On the next to the last trip I worked, 3 of 4 of us had sniffles. At my crashpad, 2 others besides me were sick...it appears I won the virus medal. They had 3 day colds and did not call in, I HAD TO. They are on RSV!

One told me how she nearly popped her eardrum going home.

It's easy to be jaded when you hear people calling in sick all the time but recognize with the time of year that people can really be sick.

December is always too lucrative for me to be on the sick list. This is now the 3rd month in a row that I won't fly 100 hours. October was RSV, November I was stung with a trip-removal (when I needed days off, ended up flying 2 freebie turns for the company), and now this.

I hope you can feel my frustration from this setback. If I was going to spend X-mas anywhere, it would be RDU but I hope to be flying the LAS turn I bid instead. My family knows I fly holidays.

However, I need to get to MIA for 24 hours to renew my parking sticker since they weren't in when I was last there. I hope I have a Jan "grace period".

This is our world,

Coop

SLT

p.s. weird thing, when I signed in earlier tonight, I showed a new supervisor in MIA in AAFLTSVC, it disappeared when I signed back in, what was THAT about?
[post="230322"][/post]​
Coop I do not doubt you are sick. I do not discount that there are many people really sick. This is a time of year that it happens to all of us. I am not allowed to question to you on the phone or in person if you are sick or not. I do hope you feel better in time for Christmas. Nobody wants to bew sick on that day . But if you sat in my desk for even 1 week during this holiday period you would understand every single crew schedulers frustration on the sick abuse. It is the bad apples that spoil it for everyone. Including me

[Thank-you Operaations,

I know there are bad apples in the bunch but not all of us are.

Thanks for acknowledging that some of us could be truly sick.

I'm hoping to be cleared tomorrow or the next day :up:

We'll see what Mr. Tympanogram has to say. I hope it's great news...I have a great crew on my line this month and I've barely seen them.

Happy Holidays!

Coop

F/A Coop cleared by AA medical and off the sick list! :up:

My right ear totally failed the first tympanogram but I did a Valsalva, retook it and just passed.

The nurse cleared me since I have a late afternoon sign-in tomorrow and I'm only flying 2 legs....SUH-weet!

Happy Holidays y'all, I plan to be working the next 5 days! To paraphrase "Poltergeist"...I'm ba-a-ack (hide the children! Oh wait, I'm not working that cabin...LOL!).

Seriously, be safe in all modes of transportation and enjoy any and all situations you may find yourself in...worse case scenario, they build character :p

Coopie

Latest posts