Cwa Furloughed Employees

Jul 21, 2004
I was told today by CWA headquarters that the company is standing firm on no buyout for any furloughed employee. They also want to offer a recall for any furloughed employee the same benefits as a new hire employee. Good luck to all you PIT employees. There has never been much solidarity among the CWA group. I'm convinced the company has figured that out, and negotiating accordingly. What a pathetic group....Senior Management and the CWA. :ph34r:

seniorfurloughguy said:
I was told today by CWA headquarters that the company is standing firm on no buyout for any furloughed employee. They also want to offer a recall for any furloughed employee the same benefits as a new hire employee. Good luck to all you PIT employees. There has never been much solidarity among the CWA group. I'm convinced the company has figured that out, and negotiating accordingly. What a pathetic group....Senior Management and the CWA. :ph34r:
And exactly why I am glad the IAM is standing firm and hope we continue to do so. Glass not only breaks, it shatters.

I think the exec's on the negotiating for USAir all cut their teeth at the same corporation. The Cleveland Nut and Screw Corp.

Why in the world would a company offer a "buyout" to already furloughed employees? They already received a liberal furlough package AND unemployment. Of course then not going to give them a buyout-there is nothing to buy out-they are furloughed. I know U is bad with their finances but they would have to have their heads examined to offer a buyout to a person who doesn't work for them anymore!

4merresrat said:
Why in the world would a company offer a "buyout" to already furloughed employees? They already received a liberal furlough package AND unemployment. Of course then not going to give them a buyout-there is nothing to buy out-they are furloughed. I know U is bad with their finances but they would have to have their heads examined to offer a buyout to a person who doesn't work for them anymore!
Liberal furlough package? I got to keep my travel card for three years (taxable income as the value of an ID 90), without companion passes (nice that I can't really go anywhere with my girlfriend), 90 days medical followed by COBRA (at twice the rate I could get BCBSNC individually), and have to interview to get my job back that someone bumped me out of without having to prove they could do it.

Real liberal package.

4merresrat said:
simple...

i have 19years..topped out...keep senoirity ....if and when they start recall i go to top of scale....buyout cost maybe 15g.....
eliminate as many recalls as possible, and eventually you get new hires...
they will make 1/2 or less so the 15g pays off right away..
i would sign in a heartbeat...

:up:

N628AU said:
Liberal furlough package? I got to keep my travel card for three years (taxable income as the value of an ID 90), without companion passes (nice that I can't really go anywhere with my girlfriend), 90 days medical followed by COBRA (at twice the rate I could get BCBSNC individually), and have to interview to get my job back that someone bumped me out of without having to prove they could do it.

Real liberal package.
Yes, I believe it is a generous furlough package, and I think most rational people would. A furloughed person receives 1 week for every year worked up to 15 years, I believe. Plus several months of insurance, then Cobra, and flight benefits. Plus 3 years for recall. Your thinking that this is not a generous package to me, shows how spoiled we in the airline industry have become. Many furloughed employees from many fields of work would be thrilled to have this type of package. I just wonder at your next job if you check into it how it looks from the other side.

sdavis29 said:
simple...

i have 19years..topped out...keep senoirity ....if and when they start recall i go to top of scale....buyout cost maybe 15g.....
eliminate as many recalls as possible, and eventually you get new hires...
they will make 1/2 or less so the 15g pays off right away..
i would sign in a heartbeat...

:up:
So, you think they should pay you 15 g's is it for severing your ties. I'm sure they will not be interested in doing business like that. They may not even be around, or may go to bankruptsy and could void the contracts. Why would they pay you 15 gs? If I were them I would rather have you come back and EARN your pay.

4merresrat said:
So, you think they should pay you 15 g's is it for severing your ties.
Why not? They gave Dave Siegel 4.2 million to sever his ties and he was only with U for a couple of years. At best he did absolutely nothing for the company cept maybe (edited) on a BK judge every now and then :eek:

4merresat,

Actually in my current job, I am 100% in my renewal income for life if I stay at it for ten years. Plus I set my own hours, am a 1099 contractor so my whole life is basically a big tax write off, and I will see more money than I ever had a realistic expectation of at U. The sacrifice is in the first two to three years, of which I am a year in already. I got a measly two weeks of severance pay, after taking a paycut already, and COBRA, like I said, was more expensive than getting BCBSNC on the open market. Then they began to hit my travel card as taxable income. So what again was liberal about my furlough package. Don't forget my "recall" is not automatic, even though getting bumped was.