CWA Update Please....

Res

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Ur members are a litttle frustrated..we''re sure ur doing ur best although we..the employees at this point don''t even know what offer is on the table....U owe it to us to keep us informed...

One thing I heard today was that U wanted a clause to be able to outsource res duties..not sure whick [edited by moderator] smokers thought this would ever pass a CWa approval vote but supposedly that was added into one of the company's latest offers.
[:blackeye:]

There's no pre-filing agreement, so if you think that the company won't start to ask for things like outsourcing Res or other functions, then here's your next update:

careers_benefits.gif

http://www.walmartstores.com/wmstore/wmsto...es/HomePage.jsp

Not trying to be overtly cruel here, but this could be your new reality. The CWA decided to play hardball, and might have found itself somewhat out of its league.

No, you were sufficiently cruel.Silly me, I thought they wanted cooperation.
Why not wait for the enevitable. the company will surely blunder us back to walmart wages anyway.

If you wanted cooperation, why didn't you do what the other unions did, and cooperate before the company threw in the towel?

CWA looks like this year's Darwin Award winner in the Labor category. Only a bunch of idiots would have let the company walk into a bankruptcy court without first having some form of pre-nuptual to protect the membership.

Lemme see here...And I am beginging to sound like a broken record...company walks out TWICE on CWA at the begining of the negotitions. Yep you are correct CWA was the one playing hardball. If CWA is guilty of anything it was treating management just like they were being treated.

----------------
On 8/20/2002 4:26:13 PM

Ur members are a litttle frustrated..we're sure ur doing ur best although we..the employees at this point don't even know what offer is on the table....U owe it to us to keep us informed...
----------------

I received a forwarding from James Root today that said we would have something to vote on and hopefully a ratification before the 30th of AUG

Get,
Ah, your slammin' the IAM also. They got a TA (unratified at present) after the BK filing. FYI

Again, I know it's hard to wait -- but we've put this much trust in the CWA so far, and so far I believe it has been justified.

One of the things that I find interesting is that the two unions that deal solely with airlines cut a deal early. The two unions with a broader range of experience have not. Take a look at the CWA's website. Not just the USAir part, but the whole gamut of industries they represent. The CWA is used to playing in the big leagues. They may be new to USAir, and relatively new to our industry, but they have a long history in labor relations and a decent "win" record.

On the cynical flip side of the coin for those asking, "so what's in it for the CWA?" consider this: They are in the midst of trying to organize at American Airlines. You can bet that the employees there will be watching how the CWA performs here. So the CWA isn't doing their darnedest just for us, but for American, too. The CWA needs that positive push for its own continued success. If they do a poor job for us, they may as well fold up their tent at American.

So I'm far from unhappy with what I've seen and heard so far. Yes, the CWA is playing hardball... but they've got serious experience in other industries dealing with bankruptcies, lay-offs, and general business malaise. And they've done well for those employees. They desire to expand representation in this industry, so they can't afford to play foolish or loose or take unreasonable risks. Even if they were so careless of OUR interests (which I don't for a minute believe they are despite what some people might post), the CWA certainly wouldn't be so careless of its own interests.

It's tough, this waiting and trying to be patient. But I believe that when all is said and signed, we'll be pleased with the results of our patience and the CWA's skill.

----------------
On 8/21/2002 12:29:40 AM

Get,
Ah, your slammin' the IAM also. They got a TA (unratified at present) after the BK filing. FYI
----------------

Yes, and it absolutely sucks and I intend to vote no for it. I will go down to five days of vacation next year?! That in and of itself is reason to vote it down. Even Burger King gives their employees better benefits than that.
[:knockout:]

At least if we get a POS imposed on us by a judge, it's only binding until we emerge from Chapter 11. If we sign on to the IAMs silly proposal, we will be frozen in this style for 6 years and then another 4 or 5 while the IAM plays with themselves. Plus, you NEVER EVER GET BACK WHAT YOU GIVE UP! So, my vacation and pay is gone forever, even though Dave and his band of merry men will be raking in millions.

Here is what should have happened (if the IAM could stand up to U management):

Reject the company offer up front, no questions asked. Put it up for a vote and recommend a no.

The company gets a judge to put in concessions. If they are not acceptable, we walk.

Make it clear to any potential replacements that scabbing is not in their best personal or professional interest. Remember how the ALPA treated ex-Eastern scabs? Or how about the Teamsters? (Please note, I'm not encouraging violence or retribution towards scabs; but simply saying that crossing a picket line is unprofessional and is the act of a shameful coward. A scab is a traitor to their profession.)

The problem is, the IAM isn't ALPA or the Teamsters. They roll over and play dead when its time to act like a union and not a social club. When its time to man the lines and fight for something, IAM leadership is too busy counting their money or trying to sell out other stations to keep jobs in PIT.

----------------
On 8/21/2002 8:02:20 AM

...Reject the company offer up front, no questions asked. Put it up for a vote and recommend a no.

The company gets a judge to put in concessions. If they are not acceptable, we walk.

Make it clear to any potential replacements that scabbing is not in their best personal or professional interest...
----------------

I wouldn't worry about scabs. If any U union strikes now, there won't be any company at all left for anyone to scab.

In some ways one could say that the IAM has all the leverage right now with U (in very few labor disputes could a strike really and truly shut down a company for good and probably cause almost instant liquidation). Be careful how you use that leverage.

IMHO I do believe that the company thought it was going to be a "cake walk" dealing with CWA. They now have a different opinion, and from remarks that Dave made at PIT 2 days ago confirm that. He is not to happy with the folks at CWA. Guess we have finally found that common ground... we are not to happy with upper management at all either. No matter what happens and I do still believe we will have an agreement that both sides can live with, this whole experiance has left a foul taste in my mouth. I do think TADJR nailed it right on the head on the old message boards in what happens after the life of the new adjusted contract. Scary IMO.

I do believe that an agreement will come soon- I hope this week. I know the CWA'ers are working hard and I thank them for that- but it is very very difficult to wait, and wait, and wait.

I hope it's true what they say- Good things come to those who wait!

(Please note, I'm not encouraging violence or retribution towards scabs; but simply saying that crossing a picket line is unprofessional and is the act of a shameful coward. A scab is a traitor to their profession.)
----------------

What do you tell the scab who has bills up the wazoo, a family to support and no other income sources? Are they being unprofessional for simply going to work to make the ends meet?? Are they being a coward by crossing the line so their kids can eat? Is that what you tell them?