Dave's Friday Message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smoke,

I'll give you this - Dave hasn't sent out the goons to club the workers into submission. Maybe we need to coin a new term - how about "contract buster"?

ALPA has more outstanding grieviences than at any time in the history of this airline.

To paraphrase the judge in the IAM outsourcing case, the company twisted the meaning of ONE sentence in the contract in an attempt to gut the entire contract.

"Expressing" stations by pulling out mainline only to restore it once the ground people are either gone or working for express wages.

To be honest with you, I agree that Dave isn't the problem. He is only the latest incarnation of the problem. Over a decade of mismanagement has gotten us into this hole. It has been said that "When you find yourself in a hole the first thing to do is stop digging." Various management teams have jumped into this hole called USAirways and started digging. The hole has only gotten deeper.

At this point I'm not sure if there is anybody out there who could get us out of our tailspin. Those few with the talent, imagination, and business acumen would probably take one look and run, not walk, the other way.

The requirements of the ATSB backed loan are staring us in the face. I see Dave's call for $200-300 million more in cost savings as an attempt to make it past 6/30/2004. That amount of cost reduction won't get us near the CASM that Dave says we need to reach for profitability, but it will allow us to meet the loan requirements that expire June 30.

Jim

tadjr...Your looking at the issue from one side and expecting the company to accept your side...They really don't like swaps and if they had it there way, we would have none. So getting more is going to be hard..

A 60% requirement to keep benefits would be a "dream"...Try 85% and that way you can't work a 4 day week and give away a day.. They know the deal and would probably ask for a higher %, than you think. Would all time off that is unpaid be counted...? Of course not and that's where the problem is...You want the company to offer medical insurance at a reasonable cost to each employee, not exclude employees. So getting away from your idea, may be the best thought.

I know time off is an important issue to all, but the company has different ideas and trying to find a fair balance can be tough

Once again, Union Dues cannot and will not go up when salaries go down, on a previous thread I posted how dues are figured out under the IAM Constitution.

Second, Bob, nothing to say about how much Dave and his gang got paid for only 27,000 employees while Tom Buffenbarger got $166,000 for 673,095 members?

And Yes Jerrold Glass the consultant is a union buster:

http://www.fordharrison.com/fh/consultants/jerry.asp

I find it so hard to believe that posters on this board, can't believe the facts and when you prove it to them, they go silent.

Justaramper said:
So getting away from your idea, may be the best thought.
I think that is part of what Delldude was trying to say. You said swaps arent a big deal to you, but they are to a lot of us. Instead of trying to find a way to improve morale, make it easier for those of us who have been downgraded to pick up some more hours and for those who have to commute to spend more time with their families, all the while trying to save sick/overtime payouts by the company, you want to forget about it all together. If you think these arent big cost factors, then there isnt any need to discipline for sick time if its no big deal then right?
If the company is afraid of everyone giving away all their hours and still getting benes, then hike up the rate of those who swap off more than X%. (the 65% was hypothetical anyway, I really dont expect it to be that low). But why should someone be punished for swapping TO WORK FOR SOMEONE so they can have the day off and not use sick time just because you're going from a night to morning shift? This makes absolutely no sense to me.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue though since I dont see where the problems are with the changes suggested and you dont seem to think its a big deal the way it is. Or maybe to put it another way, I dont have the luxury of working a 4 day week so that makes no difference to me, but I wouldnt begrudge you the chance to have one just because I cant.

Justaramper said:
[ People like you keep me AWAY from Union Meetings, as you like to insult others who don't share your views
don't crow your waa waa crap to me...YOUR rationalization for YOUR not going and NOT getting involved is a cop out.one of those types who needs an excuse to justify it to themselves.
i didn't insult you either..in previous posts you made veiled threats as to how you'd rat out people who disagreed with your anti-union views and what you'd do if they voiced it to you personally.either defend your convictions or go cower in a corner somewhere.

Union busters??? Don't you think if these guys would of dumped all of the contracts during bankrupcty if they were union busters. We all got off easy during Ch11, it could of been much worse. I still can't believe that is not what they did in the first place. Get a clean slate, and instill all the effeciencies from the beginning, instead of inheriting all of the mess from the pre dereg days.

jack mama said:
Union busters??? Don't you think if these guys would of dumped all of the contracts during bankrupcty if they were union busters. We all got off easy during Ch11, it could of been much worse. I still can't believe that is not what they did in the first place. Get a clean slate, and instill all the effeciencies from the beginning, instead of inheriting all of the mess from the pre dereg days.
First, Glass is known for his "skills" at "dealing" with unions. Second, I don't think the US employees "got off easy". They got off easier than they otherwise might have working for a company that entered Chapter 11. Remember, too, the company cannot just abrogate the collective bargaining agreements. They need to show a good faith effort at negotiating a new one before the Court will throw out an existing one.

USflyer,

Good point you bring out.

Jack,

Speak for yourself "got off easy" crap. Maybe in your hiearcy, you went basically untouched, but the majority got hammered, and still are enduring that pain. Specifically those out on the streets. Its not over yet.

As far as union busting contracts, why do that? They got us to bust our own contracts by forcing down our throats "this, that" or the highway. Pretty crafty, I must say myself. Took many f folks off guard and by surprise having us go through the "exercise of negotiations, and then never negotiating anything. Everything is what they wanted; they got. All outside of sec. 6. It was through "trust" that we as a majority accepted this; only to get it smacked in our heads....that we were "had". And back around again...no less lol....

Yup. Plain and simple. You obviously still need your head smacked against a wall, cause you just are so high up that you haven't felt any pain, so it seems.

The unions only care about their member’s dues and are willing to sell its members down the river. Labor unions cannot prosper in a competitive industry. The airlines would not be hurting if the labor salaries were much lower. These unions rely on government protection. If you don’t like your $13 hr jobs then quit. Since everyone has on this board boast about having degrees and years of experience in other fields. Why wait until Dave furloughs you? That is really taking initiative and preparing for your future. The industry is changing and the days of high salaries are rapidly ending. I expect another round of concessions and in reality the unions do not have a choice. You have liquidation or more concessions. Liquidation means that there will not be any severance pay. If your fellow colleagues can live on $13 hr then there should be no complaints about further concessions. The unions cannot continue to raise wages beyond competitive levels. Look at the wages from AWA and that is the level of wages that the USAIR employees should be compensated. If someone from corporate is reading these boards then I hope that they take my advice and seek an AWA compensation structure.

Could this have been prevented if the union had agreed to your companies’ original offer? I am sure that it would have been much better than the current situation. Labor unions even prevent companies from being competitive. Why do some labor groups prevent cross utilization and training? Unions are the major anticompetitive force in labor markets.

The employees still have not answered the question on who will replace the current management. Who would really want to be the CEO of USAIR right now? I highly doubt anyone would and they would not take the job for the $200MM salary that has been mentioned by many employees.

I have a few suggestions for Dave that will help lower costs.

1. Have the flight crew (flight attendants and pilots) assist in cleaning the aircraft interiors. You would eliminate a good portion of the fleet service with this action.
2. Cross utilize the customer service and ramp functions, similar to JetBlue.
3. Increase the number of Kiosks. I personally like them and see no reason to speak with a live agent unless I am checking excess baggage.
4. Contract out all maintenance.
5. Allow the passenger to purchase in-flight meals online or at the gate. The gate agents could solicit these services.
6. Convert most of the smaller stations to express since the contract allows Dave to fly 2 mainline jets.

Remember that Icahn and Lorenzo decimated the unions and Siegel could have done the same during your reorganization. Siegel should a good faith effort in bargaining your contracts. The unions did not work with these two CEOs either.

Pitbull, if the company ‘forced’ things downs your throat then you should have better union representation. I have always said that the AFA was a weak union. This is one reason why they needed to affiliate with the CWA.

USAIR is heading down the same path of TWA. They failed to expand beyond STL even as other carriers multiplied hubs. They allowed service levels to blow like the wind, halfheartedly improving the product only to become bored. They failed to expand routes in any meaningful way as United and American blanketed America with new service. Most of the time they were the last airline to take any action- Does this sound familiar? UAL will eventually form some type of merger/uct/sale with USAIR and the employees of USAIR will get the short end of the stick. Dave Siegel is rightsizing your airline for a transaction. What a great way to return shareholder value since your stock is in the toilet currently. I have one piece of advice for the employees. The name of the game is survival of the fittest.

Lets see where should I start?

1. Fleet Service's job is to load and unload airplanes, they did not hire an increase of Fleet Service people when they got a few stations where they clean. So there would be no job reductions if F/A cleaned planes where the ramp does.

2. US all ready has the ability to cross utilize, the fact is they chose not too.

3. Kiosks cant check bags or assist a passenger when their are problems, and most people actually prefer an agent then a machine.

4. Lets just say ValuJet and A/C 700!

5. Makes no sense, would increase costs, meals are on the plane, US does not pay for them, so lets add more people to do a function that takes one F/A.

6. Company has to maintain 279 mainline planes, people dont want to fly an RJ from CLT-LAX or PHL-LGW.

And you can ask any employee out here, this company held a gun to everyone's head and said take concessions or we will liquidate, Dave does not have that option yet.

And why should any union work with a CEO that has lied, stolen and betrayed the very company we saved, not him, we built up not him, he has one year, most of us have 15 or more.

Uinvestor,

Hope you aren't stupid enough to invest in stock with U.

You say AFA was always weak in your mind.....and that's why we merged. Think again my friend. Any change in contract that eliminates jobs, ground jobs, air jobs, just plain jobs, will have no endorsement from AFA. We will see who you will call weaklings.

In the meantime, we can do all those things you suggest. Everyting. But the folks who are on the property...STAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There, you have an agreeement. Make do with that, OR

SHUT THE DOORS.

PITbull and 700UW,

Let people like UNIVESTOR run their yaps all they wish. More than likely , they have nothing invested , or vested in our companies future...but they have all the room in the world to tell us what WE should be willing and eager to accept to benefit the paper traders of this world

Like Itrade before him...Univestor is nothing but a taker in life. They profit on the backs of others , yet actually produce nothing....unless you consider sending American jobs overseas to China producing something?

Frankly people like this need to be ignored....I'm just sad that people like Univestor whom are so eager to outsource my job to the lowest of the low , couldn't have the tables turned on them at some point. Maybe someday....as the saying goes . What Comes Around , Goes Around !!

Maybe he'll get his entirely outsourced maintenance airline someday? I hope he's OK with the potential that comes with it too !! I'm sure that if 21 folks in CLT could speak today...They'ed be ready to slap a knot on his head right about now. Be carefull what you wish for Univestor...Ya just might get it !!!

I think that US could find large amounts of savings by rolling hubs and cutting turn around times. US Air could also better compete with Southwest by simplifying the fare pricing system. They should also try reducing business fairs to stimulate demand. Just some ideas

I can't believe that you guys would even respond to Uinvestor. Don't waste your time, she is just trying to get your goat. :down:

MMW,

Honey, its a he. Been around longer than God on here. Totally "anti union" kind-a-guy. Everyone has his MO.

And you are extremely sweet to draw our attention to it again.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts