DC-9 Gear Collapse

Hence the importance of a good inspection department with the authority to reject substandard parts.

Actually most of the unique parts for transport catagory aircraft now in use are still manufactured today. I would expect it's difficult to find parts for a JT3D powered 707-100 or DC-8, but other than that most are still available in both new and rebuilt condition.

Even discontinued aircraft such as the L-1011, MD80 and F-28/F-100 family still have parts being manufactured for them either by the original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) or by companies who have purchased the FAA Parts Manufacturing Authorizations (FAA-PMA) from the original manufacturer.

Whether new or rebuilt, there are rather exacting standards the parts must meet. Standards easily verified by the multiple inspections, visual and non-destructive, each part must go through before being installed on an aircraft.

Even with all that; parts still fail and machines still break. These things operate at 400 Kts, six miles above the earth - mechanical or electrical failure are inevitable. If you don't want it to break, don't fly it.

The beauty of living in the USA is the freedom to express one's opinion and the freedom for anyone to publicly disagree with it! Let's ensure we keep it that way!

Aviation Week: That has helped United Airlines, which TOPS the list of underfunded carriers with a projected $2.52-billion obligation. Pensions underfunded: UAL-2,520.Billion. NWA 2,275. Billion. UAL stock price:$2.38 NWA stock price: $6.98

3.gif']

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/25/2002 12:00:13 PM ITRADE wrote:

Anybody tell me what a DC-9-40 is???? I know the DC-9-30. And I know the DC-9-50 (essentially MD-80 without a few mods).
----------------
[/blockquote]
There weren't too many -40's made. They came out in '68. Slightly longer. I know SAS had some, but I'm not sure about others. -- Because of its long length, it's tempting to consider the -50 an MD80 w/o a few mods, but it is not so. Just consider it a long -30. It doesn't have the larger MD80 wings, longer vertical stab, and big block JT8 dash 2XX engines, among other things.

Personally I don't have a problem with the -9s....I think they give a better ride then the buses,but since AA and CO are starting a gradual drawdown of the Super 80 fleet, does anyone think that NW will buy those airplanes?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/25/2002 12:00:13 PM ITRADE wrote:

Anybody tell me what a DC-9-40 is????
----------------
[/blockquote]

A slight--6'4--stretch of the -30.
Not a big sales success, as only SAS and TOA Domestic (now JAS--about to merge into JAL) of Japan were the only ones that bought 'em new.
NW has acquired most of the ex-SAS aircraft, and some of the TOA/JAS ones wound up with Ozark and then TWA.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/25/2002 11:54:43 AM Blueskies/400 UpperDeck wrote:

Aviation Week: "That has helped United Airlines, which TOPS the list of underfunded carriers with a projected $2.52-billion obligation." Pensions underfunded: UAL-2,520.Billion. NWA 2,275. Billion. UAL stock price:$2.38 NWA stock price: $6.98

[img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif'] [img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif'] Gotta love those "OLD DC-9's, and the largest Airbus Fleet in the industry.[img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif']
----------------
[/blockquote]

Take your pick, correct it for number of employees, pension obligation, or total revenue, UAL's pension is MUCH better funded

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/26/2002 12:26:08 AM wannabe CRJ driver wrote:

Personally I don't have a problem with the -9s....I think they give a better "ride" then the buses,but since AA and CO are starting a gradual drawdown of the Super 80 fleet, does anyone think that NW will buy those airplanes?
----------------
[/blockquote]

No. Remember, NW had a small (eight plane) MD-80 fleet acquired from Republic that they parked about three or four (IIRC) years ago.
The A319/A320 pretty well fill the MD-80 'niche' at NW.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/26/2002 12:42:30 AM mga707 wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/26/2002 12:26:08 AM wannabe CRJ driver wrote:

Personally I don't have a problem with the -9s....I think they give a better "ride" then the buses,but since AA and CO are starting a gradual drawdown of the Super 80 fleet, does anyone think that NW will buy those airplanes?
----------------
[/blockquote]

No. Remember, NW had a small (eight plane) MD-80 fleet acquired from Republic that they parked about three or four (IIRC) years ago.
The A319/A320 pretty well fill the MD-80 'niche' at NW.
----------------
[/blockquote]
Common misconception. AA has no current plans to drawdown their MD-80 fleet. AA is currently spending some big bucks running two mod lines just to update the avionics and insulation on the -80 fleet. And they just finished a complete interior change on the fleet last year. The only -80's that may go are some TWA birds but the 259 that are AA's will be here for a looooong time!

The MD-80's AA owns are also in immaculate shape structurely. I don't think there's ever been a skin change on one and the oldest are like 19yr's old. This has got to be one of the best made planes ever!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/26/2002 5:44:30 PM Blueskies/400 UpperDeck wrote:

So we should have started this cock a mamie selfserving, full of greed contract like yours? And....just how many UAL pilots are sitting at home?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Prob less than you have furloughed?! Are you a contract worker?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/26/2002 5:24:34 PM nwa400 wrote:

Maybe it is just that you like to put airlines and your brother airline pilots down. I see you put forth so much effort into negative comments that it makes me wonder if you are really a alpa member. Are we not to hold each other up in times of trouble? Are we not to encourage each other when things go wrong (dc-9 gear)?

----------------
[/blockquote]

Read your buddy blue sky's posts. Yes we are brothers, but I must say that we were VERY disapointed when you guys gave the concessionary deal that has helped Anderson stop every attempt to get fares up. It's sad that it didn't even give a little furlough protection to your brothers on your own seniority list.

Latest posts