Dear US Airways Customers,

I am really enjoying these posts...

As i see it IT Department -2 (Strike 2)
US Customers -2 (we got hit twice..say Website)

No one is winning.... US Airways Management.. laughing to the bank (or jail.. depending on the day... uhh nevermind) :)

Let me add another comment to this, as one who teaches Computer Science...

No IT department ever directly makes money for a company. It is almost always an expense to the operation. So, when a company needs to cut expenses, where is often the first place it looks? IT. However, without solid IT, a company goes to pot. Sound familiar?

Tempe has given me two solid examples to use in my university courses that I teach.

I know we'll never find this out, but I'd love to know how much future business the web site rollout and the res migration has cost US in the long run.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why should the kiosks at hubs be an enormous problem? For O&D passengers, yes because they have to check in, but it's not so much a "hub" issue as it is a large city (O&D traffic)issue. Passengers travelling through the hub don't require a kiosk.
US Airways ticket agent Pam Richey, vice president of the Communications Workers of America Local 3641, said agents were concerned about the reservations switchover before this weekend. But she said no one was overly worried about whether the kiosks would work.

Earlier this year, ticket agents trained on dummy software that replicated the Shares system, even though they were still using Sabre, the reservations system in the old US Airways kiosks.

Richey said that training was cut short because it was causing delays.

"In my opinion -- and I work in the field -- it's like they were pushing the cutover, but all the pieces weren't there," Richey said.

Until Sunday, Charlotte had been known as a mostly trouble-free part of the US Airways system. Most of the airline's logistical problems are in Philadelphia, its second-largest hub after Charlotte.

Janice Garris, president of CWA Local 3641, said Charlotte has been hurt by staff cutbacks. She said agents working gates are often alone, when they would have had a partner in the past.

"We have vacancies at the counter and at the gate," Garris said. "We're short all of the time. And when there is a meltdown, we don't have the personnel."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/165/story/41348.html

Statement from one of my trainers in PHX on my third and final training day... "((sic)(the powers that be) they said, wether it works or not, cut over is March the third."

They knew there would be trouble and did nothing.

Statement from one of my trainers in PHX on my third and final training day... "((sic)(the powers that be) they said, wether it works or not, cut over is March the third."

They knew there would be trouble and did nothing.

So, now the executives can reward themselves with a large bonus for meeting the deadline. :lol: