Delta at YYZ

I agree about Stanley Park and the whole urban experience in YVR.

Do you go to Whistler every year? You've mentioned skiing in UT as well, IIRC.

Expedia shows both AC and UA have nonstops EWR-YVR at least on Saturdays this time of year.

I would think that CX doesn't draw the best local traffic JFK-YVR given the very late hour... also not sure if they try to cater to the local JFK-YVR market. The prices even for Business class are very high and their coach fares are quite a bit more than AC or UA.

I'm not really sure why they continue to operate that segment given that they serve JFK-HKG several times daily nonstop.

Wish I could ski there every year, it takes nearly a day to get there from NE as there are no nonstops to YVR and you still have a two hour drive plus drive ahead of you.

CX is suspending their 3rd daily non-stop 845/846 sometime this fall, I've taken it before and the timing really works great on both ends. Departs JFK at 01:20am and arrives HKG in the morning, return deprarts HKG around 6:00pm arrives in New York 10:45pm. YVR is a huge market for CX as well not sure why they still operate one JFK flight via HKG.

Usually hit up Park City several times each season, prefer it to the CO resorts. You can often ski the same day you arrive the same can't be done at Aspen, Beaver Creek, Val or even Winter Park. The New England resorts are ok, Stowe is my favorite but the conditions aren't the greatest and they are very crowded.

Josh

It looks like DL has reinstated mainline at YYZ. Is this only a seasonal addition?

DL 1398 15:44 ATL 17:59 YYZ 319
DL 1363 18:40 YYZ 21:01 ATL 319

Josh

DL has had mainline at YYZ on and off for a number of years... often during the winter. Can't tell if it is long-term at this point.

Certainly the arrival of the 717s in about a year would increase the likelihood.

Reactions: 1 person
IF DL can profitably operate 39 different fleet types, then it really doesn't matter how many they have.

DL has demonstrated with the 717s and M90s that they can find comparable operating cost aircraft for far lower acquisition costs than their competitors - which most certainly will give DL a competitive advantage.

Do you realize that DL's efforts to remove $7B in debt from the balance sheet have resulted in savings of $500M in interest charges? PER YEAR

DO you realize that AA is spending more than $25B on its refleeting efforts... you can see how much more interest charges AA will pay relative to DL....

Add in that the refinery deal further cuts DL's actual fuel costs below what its competitors are paying, and DL can afford to keep older aircraft around a whole lot longer.

Since customers like mainline aircraft even more than small aircraft and more mainline aircraft increases DL's abillity to grow its effective size at slot controlled airports like LGA and JFK, and using mainline aircraft where other airlines use large RJs makes all the sense in the world.

which apparently throws the whole idea of fleet simplication being necessary in order to be profitable....

or perhaps, it's worth noting that despite there are about a half dozen versions of the 757 alone - maybe more, but they are all Pratt powered and all DL 757 pilots can also fly all of those sub-fleets plus the 767-300s, of which there might be a half dozen versions of those too. The only meaningful difference is that the 763 fleet is composed of PW and GE engines.

But note that DL uses the differences in its own fleet to EXPAND its insourcing capabilities. DL allows OTHER carriers thru insourcing to help pay the cost to have differences in DL's own fleet.

Apparently the BOS flights are ending in September. Been nearly two years since DL started this route after Eagle left BOS in November 2011 due to pilot scope in the then planned spin-off The market will be left to AC and Porter (YTZ) which are both more desirable options IMO. Not much of a loss, probably more to do with the draw down in 50 seat flying.

Josh

CX operates 777-300ER (77W) continues to HKG. This operates in addition to the two year round (three seasonal) non-stop JFK-HKG, all 77W.

Josh

Josh,
The pulldown of BOS - Canada is related to the reduction of 50 seat RJ flying. if markets are not large enough to support at least some 70 seat RJs or larger or have proportionately high local fares, the chances are slim they will support service on DL now and other carriers as they begin to get rid of their 50 seaters.

robbed,
No US carrier flies JFK-HKG but UA flies EWR-HKG. CX commands a substantial revenue premium to US carriers from their eastern US route systems, probably in part because of CX's ability to connect passengers to SE Asia better than US carriers can.
There have been rumors that DL wants to start JFK-HKG as part of its desire to connect the world's top financial markets (which have some of the highest average fare passengers) to NYC but DL pulled DTW-HKG not that long ago though DL's average fares on that flight were comparable to what UA got on ORD-HKG and higher than what UA gets on EWR-HKG so I don't know if they will try it or not.
DL has said even as late as the opening of T4 at JFK that they want to increase their presence in the NYC-Asia market so it is very possible they might add an Asia flight even if it is not HKG. DL does fairly well at PVG, has a partner there, and is able to get good slot times so I am guessing PVG has a better chance than HKG. PVG can serve many of the same connecting traffic flows that CX can carry over HKG and the Chinese gov't has recently added a transit without visa program for Americans and other nationalities to improve connectivity thru Chinese airports.

WT,
AC operates larger E75 and E90s to YYZ; CR2 and CR7s to YUL and YOW so it's not as if they can't support the market at those levels. Obviously those routes serve a different role in the AC route network than BOS-YYZ for DL.

DL JFK-HKG is interesting but again with upto 3x CX nonstops, superior product offerings and loyal customer base in HK and increasingly in NYC it maybe a hard but for DL to crack. Perhaps if the longer range 330s come online it would be viable from DTW? Surprised SEA hasn't been considered wouldn't that fit their strategy and be slightly more economical to operate than DTW?

Josh

WT,
AC operates larger E75 and E90s to YYZ; CR2 and CR7s to YUL and YOW so it's not as if they can't support the market at those levels. Obviously those routes serve a different role in the AC route network than BOS-YYZ for DL.

DL JFK-HKG is interesting but again with upto 3x CX nonstops, superior product offerings and loyal customer base in HK and increasingly in NYC it maybe a hard but for DL to crack. Perhaps if the longer range 330s come online it would be viable from DTW? Surprised SEA hasn't been considered wouldn't that fit their strategy and be slightly more economical to operate than DTW?

Josh
I'm not holding my breath for JFK-HKG... it will be an enormous uphill battle to win and DL seems very careful about picking its battles very carefully and not biting off more than it can chew.
It would also involve going aggressively after UA in the NYC-Asia market and for the most part DL and UA have managed to coexist based on their own strengths in Asia.

DTW-HKG was a 16 hr flight on the 777LR... it is beyond the range of anything else w/o payload restrictions.

SEA-HKG is probably the best option and I wouldn't be surprised if DL adds another route or two from SEA next year to Asia.

Some websites indicate that DL people on the frontline are sensing the tension between AS and DL on the west coast... something is about to break. DL wouldn't keep pushing SEA int'l expansion if it didn't think it could find a solution to feed its flights there.