Delta Flight Attendants Meet at Winpisinger Center

According to the term sheet, medical is in the CBA.

http://www.apfa.org/images/bankruptcy/termsheet_22mar12.pdf

Kev..thanks for pointing out What I have. However like I said I have no agenda and was posting what " I " observed .Just being honest sorry if that doesn't fit the agenda.

If any of you need to know the value of having a union and a CBA, go ask any fleet service or customer service who was employed at US in 92 and ask them what the company did to them without having a CBA nor even being in bankruptcy.

Heck, you all have lived it at DL with Leadership 7.5 and your last bankruptcy.

Kev..thanks for pointing out What I have. However like I said I have no agenda and was posting what " I " observed . Just being honest sorry if that doesn't fit the agenda.

No need to apologize. A perspective is one's own; I get it.

I'm just pointing out that my interactions with F/A's have been vastly different.

That said, if you're the least bit curious about what's driving a lot of card signing, take a sec to compare/contrast what DALPA recently negotiated vs. what those on the other side of the cockpit door were given.

And yes 2339N has had issues in the past with its leadership and at one time the local was put under a trusteeship.

And tell me this, why do you think a mostly non-union company has competitive wages in a very highly unionized industry.

Look at WN, highest and most consistent, profitable airline, highest paid wages, and highest percentage of unionized employees.

And once again, why do you care about dl employees who have the democratic right under the law to seek union representation, you arent one and you dont work for dl.
You have continually tried to argue that unionization results in higher wages but the results of the airline industry and the reality that DL pays its employees at or above what other more unionized airlines make argues AGAINST unionization as a means to increase wages.

WN is an EXCEPTION to the wage system in the US airline industry and it is because they have had a solid business plan that for decades has allowed it to pay its employees well.

DL is paying its employees above industry average now and they have recovered more because of the success of the company. Unions could not have extracted anything if the company was not capable of paying those kinds of wages.

As much as it kills you to admit it, the success of a company has more to do with the success of its workers than unionization.

The fact that DL as a largely non-union airline is paying its employees better than more heavily unionized airlines that are more similar to DL argues against unionization and for the success of the company as the largest factor.

Reactions: 4 people
Kev,

I know what you are exactly talking about, he does deserve to be in jail for what he did.

And DL pays above or at scale to stop the threat of unionization.

If its not true then how come everytime the threat of a union coming on the property, DL suddenly gives the employees raises?

Why DL spend millions with Ford and Harrison to ensure the union doesn't get elected?

And having a CBA is not just about compensation, its about consistent enforcement of policy, consistent rules and regulations to go by and not giving the company the power to do what they want anytime they want.

It's called having a voice and a say in the workplace.

Why do executives have contracts and not ok for the workers who do the work and make the company the money to have one too?

Reactions: 1 person
no one said that DL doesn't pay its employees more to keep the unions out... but having unions hasn't translated into higher wages for other airline employees outside of WN.

DL is able to pay its employees more because they have a solid business plan.

Employees who are paid high enough relative to their peers to support the company in its strategic initiatives is just one means by which DL is winning in the marketplace.

Kev,

I know what you are exactly talking about, he does deserve to be in jail for what he did.

And DL pays above or at scale to stop the threat of unionization.

If its not true then how come everytime the threat of a union coming on the property, DL suddenly gives the employees raises?

Why DL spend millions with Ford and Harrison to ensure the union doesn't get elected?

And having a CBA is not just about compensation, its about consistent enforcement of policy, consistent rules and regulations to go by and not giving the company the power to do what they want anytime they want.

It's called having a voice and a say in the workplace.

Why do executives have contracts and not ok for the workers who do the work and make the company the money to have one too?

+1

As I always say, DL wants one thing, and one thing alone: autocracy.

And no price is too high to pay to keep it.

no disagreement... but if the majority of people are willing to live in that system, it's hard to argue that a system (union representation) that is built on democracy can prevail against the system that DL uses.

It isn't the first time or example the greenback has prevailed over ideology and certainly won't be the last.

+1

As I always say, DL wants one thing, and one thing alone: autocracy.

And no price is too high to pay to keep it.

Kev, though you may know a number of passionate unionistas among the DL f/as, I would be willing to bet that the great majority of DL f/as are similar to the great majority of AA f/as. If they like the hourly pay chart on page 2 of the TA, they don't bother reading another word regarding work rules, or policy, or grievance procedures. That's why DL's act of giving raises any time a union promises the f/as a raise has been so successful. DL can say here have it, and you don't have to have union dues deducted from it.

When we (APFA) were voting on the LBFO, when I tried to point out to other f/as some of the holes in the contract, some of the pitfalls (such as, giving up a guaranteed 5 2-day duty free periods each month for 10 1 day duty free periods which gives the company the ability and right to build schedules with 3-days on, 1 day off, 3 days on, 1 day off, etc. all month), all I heard was "but, we're getting a raise." 3.5%. At my pay scale for an 80-hour month, it increased my pay $90/month GROSS.

As long as that attitude prevails at DL, there will be no successful representation drives. There's going to have to be some grossly unfair act or policy/procedure change to wake them up to the fact that there is something more than pay rate and days off to be concerned about. As someone pointed out, these representation drives have been going on for 20 years at least, and not one has been successful. There has to be a reason for that.

Nore than two dozen Flight Attendants from Delta Air Lines took part in a three-day planning session at the Winpisinger Center to promote their ongoing campaign to win IAM representation .
Delta Air Lines Flight Attendants met this week at the Winpisinger Center for three days of organizing training, strategy sessions and planning.

The training began with presentations from IAM instructors and attorneys on IAM history, National Mediation Board rules and regulations and organizing under the Railway Labor Act. Activists engaged in break-out sessions and devised specific plans to meet the needs of a diverse group of Flight Attendant professionals from different locations.

“This week was extremely informative and it’s obvious the IAM has the resources and the ability to address Flight Attendant issues,” said Delta Flight Attendant Julianna Helminski. "This week we started training with a group of interested activists and left with proud IAM union leaders."
The IAM-Delta Flight Attendant organizing campaign began in the summer of 2012 by a group of grassroots activists acting on their own accord. The movement has grown to include hundreds of activists with thousands of cards signed to date. The campaign received official IAM support in November.

“The activists leaders are very enthusiastic and fully understand the task before them,” said Transportation GVP Sito Pantoja. “We fully support the efforts of the Delta Flight Attendants.”

The IAM is the largest airline union in North America.

Wonder how many , out of the 24 peeps present, are ex-NW..............my guess........23 !

If you aren't in a union the company can unilaterally change benefits at anytime, they don't need to file for chapter 11 as it should be. You work for the company under their terms, don't like what they are offering go work somewhere else that is upto your standards or be an independent contractor. This is how the relationship of ~95% of workers in the United States is with their employers, I have never been in a union (proudly) and have been treated fair, am well compensated and enjoy my job.

Josh

People hate, when others make it on their own and don't need a cradle-to-grave government................or union !

Kev, though you may know a number of passionate unionistas among the DL f/as, I would be willing to bet that the great majority of DL f/as are similar to the great majority of AA f/as. If they like the hourly pay chart on page 2 of the TA, they don't bother reading another word regarding work rules, or policy, or grievance procedures. That's why DL's act of giving raises any time a union promises the f/as a raise has been so successful. DL can say here have it, and you don't have to have union dues deducted from it.

When we (APFA) were voting on the LBFO, when I tried to point out to other f/as some of the holes in the contract, some of the pitfalls (such as, giving up a guaranteed 5 2-day duty free periods each month for 10 1 day duty free periods which gives the company the ability and right to build schedules with 3-days on, 1 day off, 3 days on, 1 day off, etc. all month), all I heard was "but, we're getting a raise." 3.5%. At my pay scale for an 80-hour month, it increased my pay $90/month GROSS.

As long as that attitude prevails at DL, there will be no successful representation drives. There's going to have to be some grossly unfair act or policy/procedure change to wake them up to the fact that there is something more than pay rate and days off to be concerned about. As someone pointed out, these representation drives have been going on for 20 years at least, and not one has been successful. There has to be a reason for that.

Low information voters are always a challenge; certainly WRT the reasons you mention...