Delta Flight Attendants Meet at Winpisinger Center

If this gets to a filing, it is going to be a long slow burn as opposed to a flash of support. We now have afa activists, twu activists, adfa activists, and iam activists roaming the property. This fractured field of organizers has no clear front runner. I expect them to quarrel among themselves.

In opposition, there is a core of die hard counterorganizers who will oppose any unionization. In this mix are the bulk of us who are fairly happy with our pay and working conditions and do not want to deal with the drama of having these activists bothering us while we work.

ah

I agree that there are extremes on both sides, but I think the middle (or "bulk") is much more in flux than either of us thinks.

You also forgot the splinter faction of IBT activists...

:ph34r:

Wonder how many , out of the 24 peeps present, are ex-NW..............my guess........23 !
does it make you feel better to think there is a wedge that exists between PMDL and PMNW employees?

Is it not possible that whatever decisions will be made will reflect the desires of the unified group?

The employees approached the IAM, not the other way around.

I'm glad you recognize that, but the company sure goes to great lengths to convince people otherwise...

It's absolutely widely available, which goes a long way toward telling the "real story" of what's going on on the inside.

No one wants to create "hostility." They want a uniform/consistent platform when it comes to pay/work/benefit rules and policy application.

That was unnecessary.

DL has by most any measure excelled in this difficult time with strong headwinds both domestically and particularly across the Atlantic. It would be outrageous to suggest any workgroup seeking unionization would change this but it would definitely bring new challenges and restrictions to the company. As it is DL has greater flexibility to delegate staffing and other company resources and if they were to become restricted by a CBA that could change but its hyperbolic to suggest it would break DL.

As for NWA, I stand by my comment. I know NWA holds a special place in your heart and aviation career but for many it was viewed as an old, tired airline with dumpy aircraft and disgruntled workers. Your response to the condition of the 319/320 aircraft is exactly what I'm referring to, when your perspective is the ~100 35-year old DC-9s NWA operated its easy to see how an 8-20 year old 319/320 looks like a modern state of the art aircraft. Their 752s were also in horrid conditions, newer 753s weren't in terrible condition but passengers hate them. Flew them on CO many times the FAs hate them to. A330s were adequate but remember NWA had been flying 742s and DC10s toward the end of their run and the flagship 744s weren't exactly in pristine condition.

I have a client in the DTW area and since the DL merger and IAM decertification my experience with the agents has only been positive.

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
as much as some aviation enthusiasts would like to think otherwise, no airline - at least in the US - is made or broken by its fleet.

I have somehow managed to be on a number of DC9 flights in the recent weeks and all have been on time and the cabins honestly don't look any different than other aircraft.

DL has done what it wants to do w/ the PMNW fleet as far as cabin refurb so you can accept that the unified fleet is largely where DL wants it to be - or will be based on the announced upgrades.

I have also flown w/ crews from most bases and there really is no "us vs them" WRT service or demeanor - any more than any other airline has unique characteristics for each crew base.

DL's success is driven by a solid business plan and employees who understand what it takes for the company to succeed.

DL has by most any measure excelled in this difficult time with strong headwinds both domestically and particularly across the Atlantic. It would be outrageous to suggest any workgroup seeking unionization would change this but it would definitely bring new challenges and restrictions to the company. As it is DL has greater flexibility to delegate staffing and other company resources and if they were to become restricted by a CBA that could change but its hyperbolic to suggest it would break DL.

As for NWA, I stand by my comment. I know NWA holds a special place in your heart and aviation career but for many it was viewed as an old, tired airline with dumpy aircraft and disgruntled workers. Your response to the condition of the 319/320 aircraft is exactly what I'm referring to, when your perspective is the ~100 35-year old DC-9s NWA operated its easy to see how an 8-20 year old 319/320 looks like a modern state of the art aircraft. Their 752s were also in horrid conditions, newer 753s weren't in terrible condition but passengers hate them. Flew them on CO many times the FAs hate them to. A330s were adequate but remember NWA had been flying 742s and DC10s toward the end of their run and the flagship 744s weren't exactly in pristine condition.

I have a client in the DTW area and since the DL merger and IAM decertification my experience with the agents has only been positive.

Josh

Not taking the bait, Josh. Try that tactic with someone else on this board.

Delta pays their FAs equal to or more then the unionized FA groups to keep the unions out. So if you can make the same pay and compensation without the union dues then why not? I dont mind paying dues for the extra security of a contract, unfortunately the FA profession is in a downward spiral. Look at what just happened to our contract at AA. That just lowered the bar for all airlines so look for another round of cuts coming industrywide. I think eventually this will be something to do for a few years (like it used to be in the 50s) and then you move on. It was fun especially before 9/11 but now its just another job. Where's my buyout? LOL

...And as usual, you'd be wrong. The split is much more even than that...

Let's also not forget that some post-merger hires are very involved as well.
So you were there during roll call ?
If you were a new hire with no seniority and not knowing any better, you'd be hollering "Go Union" too !
does it make you feel better to think there is a wedge that exists between PMDL and PMNW employees?

Is it not possible that whatever decisions will be made will reflect the desires of the unified group?
What makes you think I believe there's a wedge between the 2 groups ? I wouldn't know other than what I read on these boards !
A decision was made, last go-round, reflecting the desire of "No union" as a unified group 1
The only way a union will sneak in the back door , is if the people who don't care about union representation, don't vote, as per the "NEW" rules !

So you were there during roll call ?

Nope. Were you? After all, you're the one claiming 23 of 24 just had to be PMNW.

I just know who went, and that they are from both PM "sides." And like I said; a lot of post-merger hires are involved as well.

If you were a new hire with no seniority and not knowing any better, you'd be hollering "Go Union" too !

Um, no. New hires are usually just the opposite.

What makes you think I believe there's a wedge between the 2 groups ? I wouldn't know other than what I read on these boards !
A decision was made, last go-round, reflecting the desire of "No union" as a unified group 1
The only way a union will sneak in the back door , is if the people who don't care about union representation, don't vote, as per the "NEW" rules !
as a DL employees, I would hope you can write what you actually see on the ground and not just what is said on internet chat forums.

Since the unified employee groups actually did and will determine whatever votes take place, what difference does it make where the employees come from - and there is a good chance in some of these meetings that there will be non-DL employees as well. That is the nature of the game.
DL's ability to bring the workgroups together instead of promote divisiveness is exactly why Anderson can be so certain when he says that the gap between DL and other carriers will only grow - as the unified workforce does what is necessary to help DL win in the marketplace, to the benefit of the company and ALL employees - and those of us who own a little stock too.

Reactions: 2 people

Latest posts