Delta pilots to strike?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+

It would be difficult, to say that you are wrong !!

HOWEVER,

The question must be asked,

"When is ENOUGH, ENOUGH " ???????????

IF DL gets this latest proposed concession
OR,
DALPA does not STRIKE, the DL pilots will have "relinquished" (approx.) "50%" of there $$$pay, and probably NO "DB" pension.

So I'll ask the question again,
"WHEN is ENOUGH, ENOUGH"

???????

NH/BB's

Hmmmm...considering I'm flying Delta the Saturday after Thanksgiving from San Juan, I figure they most likely will go ahead and strike.

It really breaks my heart to hear all your whiny Delta people piss and moan. Welcome to the Club... we at the other airlines will be more than happy to teach you the new secret handshake. Funny how no one cared earlier when other smaller carriers were in trouble... well glad we were able to set the new standard for you since you couldn't give a $&%% about us then.

And a special shout out to all the passengers who are so "worried". Not about the people who are affected by what is happening in an industry that was once one where someone could make a comfortable living. But all worried about if there Frequent flier miles will disappear or if they'll be able to make it home for the holiday with their $100.00 ticket. Ever stop to consider the people who are out there flying EVERY HOLIDAY and how rude you the passenger are? I hope there is a sick out... and bravo for the guy who makes the call to stay home and be with his family rather than go to work for nothing. HAVE FUN

:up:

I love it when people choose to work in a stupid and deeply flawed industry and then get mad at at the customer for buying the product.

I will enjoy going to McDonald's in Peachtree City and having a former DL pilot ask me "you want fries with that?" even though the initial transition to flying with NW again would be a pain in the arse for me.

It really breaks my heart to hear all your whiny Delta people piss and moan. Welcome to the Club... we at the other airlines will be more than happy to teach you the new secret handshake. Funny how no one cared earlier when other smaller carriers were in trouble... well glad we were able to set the new standard for you since you couldn't give a $&%% about us then.

And a special shout out to all the passengers who are so "worried". Not about the people who are affected by what is happening in an industry that was once one where someone could make a comfortable living. But all worried about if there Frequent flier miles will disappear or if they'll be able to make it home for the holiday with their $100.00 ticket. Ever stop to consider the people who are out there flying EVERY HOLIDAY and how rude you the passenger are? I hope there is a sick out... and bravo for the guy who makes the call to stay home and be with his family rather than go to work for nothing. HAVE FUN

In an industry where the demand is as inelastic as the airlines (customers are not willing to pay even the same amount that they were willing to pay 25 years ago...non-inflation adjusted dollars) an adjustment to extremely high wages was bound to come sooner or later. It is painful but a market reality. But you obviously don't understand that and seem to have the me, me, me mentality that has reared its ugly head lately. Yes...I hope there is a sickout and that the world's second largest carrier shuts down. :rolleyes: Go take your jadedness back to the U boards. We don't need that here. It's not constructive and only makes you sound like a bitter self-wallower. If the industry had more people of business sense and fewer detriments like you, it might actually have a chance to survive. What an idiotic thing to say that you hope that there is a sickout. News for you...U is better off with HP. The 3rd trip to BK would have been a Ch. 7.

And a special shout out to all the passengers who are so "worried". Not about the people who are affected by what is happening in an industry that was once one where someone could make a comfortable living. But all worried about if there Frequent flier miles will disappear or if they'll be able to make it home for the holiday with their $100.00 ticket.
More like a $600 ticket. Four of them to be exact. No longer even close to being a rustoleum medallion passenger either. The few Delta miles I have left go towards magazine subscriptions, not free flights. I'm truly sorry that airlines have decided to screw the employees in order to "get competitive". I'm truly sorry that the days of giving away seats and bending over customers travelling at the last minute didn't provide enough of a cash cushion to cover the loss leader fares, much less put money in the bank for hard times. A big part of the problem WAS the customer who waited until they could get the $150 transcon round trip, but they always held out...why? Because they KNEW the airlines would offer a fire sale to put a butt in a seat eventually. Heck...didn't Delta even own a pretty large stake in Priceline...home of the "below cost" bids to fill seats. All it would have taken is for an airline to accept the fact that there might be some empty seats on a plane and not give away the farm. Maybe those folks waiting for the fire sale prices would have been moved to buy if the ticket price went UP instead of down. IMHO, the state of the airline industry today would have been avoided had the airlines gone along with Bob Crandall's idea of value pricing.
Ever stop to consider the people who are out there flying EVERY HOLIDAY and how rude you the passenger are?
Nope, can't say that I've ever been rude to an airline employee ever. Not even snippy. Most likely if Delta strikes when I'm supposed to fly home, I'll roll with the punches and get home when I can, be it on United, American,Continental or USAirways. It won't be easy getting a seat that weekend, but why should I be rude to a gate agent who had nothing to do with an airline shutting down? What's that gain me? Where has being rude to someone who has absolutely no control over any situation (late flight, weather, mechanical..whatever) ever resulted in things being made right? Ever stop to consider how an attitude of "the customer is a sh*thead" can often times be picked up by said customer? Ever consider what that does to their future travel plans?

2nd

That is why I used the term "world's" and not "nation's". Yes...DL is the 3rd largest domestic carrier but they are the 2nd largest international carrier. We can argue semantics by using cargo tonnage or seats flown as our measures but I used pax carried which is the standard.

Actually the standard is generally considered to be revenue passenger miles (or kilometers) flown (RPMs or RPKs), not passengers carried.

(And how can you be #3 in the US but only #2 in the world? I can see the other way around ... I'm confused.)

Actually the standard is generally considered to be revenue passenger miles (or kilometers) flown (RPMs or RPKs), not passengers carried.

(And how can you be #3 in the US but only #2 in the world? I can see the other way around ... I'm confused.)

Semantics. I always see the rankings listed as pax carried. You are right that RPKs, RPMs are used for financial and operational reporting but when carriers are ranked, pax carried is VERY common.

And simple...you have a larger international network than #'s 1 and 2. Not that difficult. Here's the IATA rankings (that they list by pax carried, I might add).

Total (International + Domestic)

Rank Airline Thousands
1 American Airlines Inc. 91570
2 Delta Air Lines, Inc 86783
3 United Airlines 71236
4 Northwest Airlines, Inc. 56429
5 Japan Airlines International 51736
6 Deutsche Lufthansa A.G. 48268
7 All Nippon Airways 46450
8 Air France 45393
9 US Airways, Inc 42400
10 Continental Airlines, Inc 40548

Actually the standard is generally considered to be revenue passenger miles (or kilometers) flown (RPMs or RPKs), not passengers carried, to determine "largest." The reason is that RPMs take into account distance people are carried.

If Airline A carries 750 passengers in a given day between LAX and SFO on its fleet of a single 737, and Airline B carries 600 passengers on its two 747s, 300 LAX-SYD and 300 SFO-SYD, is it accurate to say Airline A is "larger?"

Not sure what's up with the edit function. I meant to edit my previous post, not add a new one.

BTW there are IATA rankings available by RPMs as well.

Then why does every article I see about Delta say 3rd? And every article about United say 2nd?

Anyway, once Delta finishes it's BK haircut, they'll be lucky to be #4. Remember, United is coming out soon and Delta just entered.

The DL pilots probably realize they will eventually have to fork it over but intend to make as much noise as possible. At the same time, DL and the bankruptcy court don't want to be any more heavy handed than they have to be but eventually one of them is going to have to pull the pin. Bankruptcy provides certain benefits than companies have available to them and DL would be foolish not to go after the target they have laid out.

ALPA's contention w/ all of the airlines is that the size of the "ask" by airlines has always exceeded what was necessary. Problem is that not one airline so far that has succeeded in their ask has been able to stabilize the company enough to be viable long-term. UA and US are moving toward stability but they are still far from back in the land of consistent profitability. Thus, it is very reasonable for airlines to cut costs, including employee wages, in order to assure that the airline is turned around. US legacy airlines have a long history of failing to recognize the gravity of the situation facing them and acting fast and decisive enough to save the company. When you're bankrupt, you get serious about figuring out what it really takes to turn the ship around.

Unlike a year ago, DL's "ask" from the pilots was less than what they asked of their non-contract employees; in fact, DL is asking about 1/3 from pilots and 2/3 from non-pilots which is pretty close to the percentage of each group's portion of the total payroll. Further, DL has posted charts showing where DL pilot pay is now and will be after the pilot concessions. It's part of the bankruptcy filing in this link:

http://chapter11.epiqsystems.com/WebPortal...3f-8096a0f24b8f

It wont be long before the delta pilots fall in line and give in to company demands. The bottom has still not been found. Pay and benefits will continue to erode until a stand is made. It may be delta pilots making that stand eventually, but I think we are at least 3 more rounds of concessions from hitting that point. There are still alot of alimony payments, child support, interest only loans, and car and boat payments that have to be paid down or sold. :huh: