Delta Precancels Flights

I really don't see any difference between AA's situation and DL's. Call it what you want, AA is cancelling flights due to fuel availability and costs as well. AA is just as guilty, if that is how you view it. Personally, I think cancelling underperforming flights with outrageous fuel prices makes perfect sense. Reduce capacity and increase ticket prices. The airlines and ,more specifically, its employees should not subsidize ridiculously low airfares.

Ch. 12 said:
Funny thing is that it was a Mx issue...not a "light load". Just b/c skyflyr said it was a light load, don't believe everything. So I bet NOBODY got a call b/c you don't predict MX issues. Sorry...that just doesn't fly. And don't think that flights don't get xl'd w/o notice at all airlines. It's really a pretty basic issue that affects all carriers, don't you think? BUT...isn't it so much more exciting if we can spin it into something like what you and skyflyr have? :rolleyes:
[post="309246"][/post]​

You are just determined to be obtuse, even though I know from your previous postings that you are not.

Point 1: DL ANNOUNCED that they would be cancelling flights with light loads and would give "at least 2 days notice." It's not just a question of what one poster believes happened. Unless you have access to loads at the airline, buying a ticket with them if you are on a tight schedule is a crap shoot.
Point 2: I never said that there were no unexpected cancellations at other airlines.
Point 3: Pulling down part of the schedule and announcing up to a month in advance is NOT the same inconvenience to the customer as letting them know 2 days before--particularly if the cancellation is on a Monday and the airline doesn't decide to cancel until the weekend.

jimntx said:
You are just determined to be obtuse, even though I know from your previous postings that you are not.

Point 1: DL ANNOUNCED that they would be cancelling flights with light loads and would give "at least 2 days notice." It's not just a question of what one poster believes happened. Unless you have access to loads at the airline, buying a ticket with them if you are on a tight schedule is a crap shoot.
Point 2: I never said that there were no unexpected cancellations at other airlines.
Point 3: Pulling down part of the schedule and announcing up to a month in advance is NOT the same inconvenience to the customer as letting them know 2 days before--particularly if the cancellation is on a Monday and the airline doesn't decide to cancel until the weekend.
[post="309269"][/post]​

Jim- Skyflyr said that this one was xl'd with no notice...not 2 days. This thread is about a mx issue and that is that. To say that this mx cancellation means that DL is an inferior product is just plain ridiculous and that is the point that I combat. DL is no worse than your blessed AA or skyflyr's FL. If any airline is inferior, I would say it is HP which is notorious for mx cancels but I understand that they have become much better over the past few years. So...DL is no worse than AA is no worse than FL is no worse than... well...you get it.

At least AA came out and said these specific flights would be cancelled. DL is leaving you 48 hours to find an alternate flight if you have to be somewhere at a specific time. I know I am avoiding DL at all costs now. Just my thoughts...........

coolflyingfool said:
At least AA came out and said these specific flights would be cancelled. DL is leaving you 48 hours to find an alternate flight if you have to be somewhere at a specific time. I know I am avoiding DL at all costs now. Just my thoughts...........
[post="309377"][/post]​

No need to get your panties in a wad. As I understand it, the cancellations will be on high frequency routes where there isn't going to be much of a wait for the next departure or request an earlier flight. Failing that, you could always ask Delta to endorse your ticket to one of their skyteam partners. There is no reason to miss that must attend meeting over something this trivial.

This is a sensible economic measure that should be applauded.

luv2fly said:
I really don't see any difference between AA's situation and DL's. Call it what you want, AA is cancelling flights due to fuel availability and costs as well. AA is just as guilty, if that is how you view it. Personally, I think cancelling underperforming flights with outrageous fuel prices makes perfect sense. Reduce capacity and increase ticket prices. The airlines and ,more specifically, its employees should not subsidize ridiculously low airfares.
[post="309252"][/post]​

The difference is Delta is scheduling flights and cancelling them. AA is not scheduling them, so there is no flight to cancel. Delta's approach is a sure way to piss off the frequent flyer

mrman said:
The difference is Delta is scheduling flights and cancelling them. AA is not scheduling them, so there is no flight to cancel. Delta's approach is a sure way to piss off the frequent flyer
[post="309465"][/post]​

So essentially AA doesn't even offer the flight, where DL's flight may operate if loads warrant. AA would "piss me off" more. Judging by loads over the last week or so, it appears your opinion is in the minority.

mrman said:
[post="309465"][/post]​

Huh? How can AA cancel non-scheduled flights? They are both cancelling scheduled flights. That is how AA has 15 fewer flights per day...they were cancelled from the schedule. The only way that wouldn't be is if they are cancelling flights 330+ days out which really would not help with fuel.

whodoyouthinkyouare said:
  As I understand it, the cancellations will be on high frequency routes where there isn't going to be much of a wait for the next departure or request an earlier flight.  Failing that, you could always ask Delta to endorse your ticket to one of their skyteam partners.  There is no reason to miss that must attend meeting over something this trivial.

This is a sensible economic measure that should be applauded.
[post="309402"][/post]​

My point exactly. Option A. IF the DL flight cancels, you would most likely be afforded 48 hours notice. If the DL flight cancels you would most likely have 48 hours to plan on being accomodated on another flight. On high frequency routes it is unlikely you would have to wait for another flight for any great length of time.
Option B. AA does not offer the flight at all.

luv2fly said:
My point exactly. Option A. IF the DL flight cancels, you would most likely be afforded 48 hours notice. If the DL flight cancels you would most likely have 48 hours to plan on being accomodated on another flight. On high frequency routes it is unlikely you would have to wait for another flight for any great length of time.
Option B. AA does not offer the flight at all.
[post="309484"][/post]​

Here's a different interpretation:

DL:

You live in ATL and need to get to DFW for a meeting. You schedule the meeting at 10am figuring that you can take the 7am flight and be in DFW in plenty of time. Unfortunately, DL cancels the flight and puts you on the 8:30am flight. You are now going to be late for your 10am meeting and DL has no other earlier option. Unfortunately, because it's only 48 hours (or less) till the meeting, your client has already scheduled the rest of their day. Your client is pissed.

AA:
Same story as above, only AA removes the 7am flight, so you can't even book it. Since you know you can't get their that early, you request to have the meeting moved later in the day. Your client agrees and schedules accordingly. You take the later flight and go to the meeting.

DLFlyer31 said:

DL:

You live in ATL and need to get to DFW for a meeting. You schedule the meeting at 10am figuring that you can take the 7am flight and be in DFW in plenty of time. Unfortunately, DL cancels the flight and puts you on the 8:30am flight. You are now going to be late for your 10am meeting and DL has no other earlier option. Unfortunately, because it's only 48 hours (or less) till the meeting, your client has already scheduled the rest of their day. Your client is pissed.

AA:
Same story as above, only AA removes the 7am flight, so you can't even book it. Since you know you can't get their that early, you request to have the meeting moved later in the day. Your client agrees and schedules accordingly. You take the later flight and go to the meeting.
[post="309495"][/post]​

Even a time-pressed business person knows that it is pretty stupid to set up a meeting based on an exact arrival time. Hell...even if the 7am flight goes, the flights into DFW are only on time 74.58% of the time (BTS on-time stats) so you are already running a 1/4 chance of pissing off your client. If it is an important client, I think you would choose to set up your meeting a couple of hours later to be safe. I see where you're trying to go with this but it is a stretch in your scenario.

DLFlyer31 said:

DL:

AA:
[post="309495"][/post]​

Your assumption is restrictive in scenario A and flexible in scenario B. Lets say your client is only available for a 10 AM meeting. AA is no longer an option at all. As you so eloquently put it, "your client is pissed."

Latest posts