Delta Technical Operations leading the pack for US airlines on next generation engines.

topDawg

Veteran
Nov 23, 2010
Delta today announced a deal today with Boeing for 100 firm orders for the Boeing 737-10 MAX airplane with 30 options.

Along with that deal, Delta TechOps and CFM have announced that Delta will gain overhaul rights for the CFM LEAP-1B engine that powers the 737MAX. Delta will service its own engines as well as several other customers around the world.
Delta now has overhaul rights for 3 out of the 5 next generation engines and will insure Delta TechOps insources the work for a long time to come. Delta also has overhaul rights on the Pratt and Whitney PW1100G, PW1500G, Rolls Royce Trent 1000, Trent 7000, Trent XWB and now the CFM LEAP-1B. Its safe to assume the 1A will also end up being worked as well.
The only engines Delta doesn't have overhaul rights to are the GEnX (yet) that powered the 787 and the GE9X which powers the 77X, which wont happen. Delta has be drastically expanding in space and employees to be able to hand the work, including the largest engine test cell in the world (and I'd bet on a twin being built soon) and expanding its Atlanta engine shop across the street to its cargo warehouse.

Also of note Delta and Pratt and Whitney just signed a long term deal for Pratt to send Delta engines for its Pratt 2000 and Pratt 4000-94 shops, insuring those engines stay in-house for a long time as well, before being replaced with the next generation engines above.

Link

Pretty excited to see what is next. Delta Flight Products has been growing like as weed and will almost certainly provide in-house solutions for the 737MAX in things like its wireless IFE system and other cabin furnishings. DFP is also located in Atlanta. Delta has also been hiring like crazy in Minneapolis (now offering up to a $2300 dollar signing bonus from what I've heard) for base maintenance to be able to in-source the airframe check work that was sent out to create room in Atlanta for TOC1 to be converted into the Roll Royce engine shop.

Reactions: SWAMECH and Kev3188
Delta today announced a deal today with Boeing for 100 firm orders for the Boeing 737-10 MAX airplane with 30 options.

Along with that deal, Delta TechOps and CFM have announced that Delta will gain overhaul rights for the CFM LEAP-1B engine that powers the 737MAX. Delta will service its own engines as well as several other customers around the world.
Delta now has overhaul rights for 3 out of the 5 next generation engines and will insure Delta TechOps insources the work for a long time to come. Delta also has overhaul rights on the Pratt and Whitney PW1100G, PW1500G, Rolls Royce Trent 1000, Trent 7000, Trent XWB and now the CFM LEAP-1B. Its safe to assume the 1A will also end up being worked as well.
The only engines Delta doesn't have overhaul rights to are the GEnX (yet) that powered the 787 and the GE9X which powers the 77X, which wont happen. Delta has be drastically expanding in space and employees to be able to hand the work, including the largest engine test cell in the world (and I'd bet on a twin being built soon) and expanding its Atlanta engine shop across the street to its cargo warehouse.

Also of note Delta and Pratt and Whitney just signed a long term deal for Pratt to send Delta engines for its Pratt 2000 and Pratt 4000-94 shops, insuring those engines stay in-house for a long time as well, before being replaced with the next generation engines above.

Link

Pretty excited to see what is next. Delta Flight Products has been growing like as weed and will almost certainly provide in-house solutions for the 737MAX in things like its wireless IFE system and other cabin furnishings. DFP is also located in Atlanta. Delta has also been hiring like crazy in Minneapolis (now offering up to a $2300 dollar signing bonus from what I've heard) for base maintenance to be able to in-source the airframe check work that was sent out to create room in Atlanta for TOC1 to be converted into the Roll Royce engine shop.
Fantastic news Dawg! Always love hearing of more work added in house. One reason why Delta will remain union free at the Mechanics level. Delta really has come a long way in leading the industry in Engine maint and repair. AA use to be, but as of late with all the past BK's and the twu/iam/asso always agreeing to farm out more and more engine maint and repairs, remember teasle??? Again congrats to all Mechanics and employees gaining all the new engine work.

Link

Hey who’s House is this? Oh yea that’s right it’s not mine. I have no business in even ringing the doorbell here.

Please excuse me and have a nice day.

Hey who’s House is this? Oh yea that’s right it’s not mine. I have no business in even ringing the doorbell here.

Please excuse me and have a nice day.
Lol. I must have struck a never saying negative things about your beloved totally worthless union. 😂😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: SWAMECH