Delta TechOps Provides Additional Maintenance Support to Royal Air Maroc

Paul

Veteran
Nov 15, 2005
Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) has signed new agreements for its maintenance division, Delta TechOps, to provide additional maintenance support for Royal Air Maroc, the airline announced today at the 15th Annual African Aviation Conference and Exhibit. The agreement builds upon Royal Air Maroc’s existing agreements with Delta to perform maintenance work on the carrier’s Boeing 767-300ERs, Boeing 757 PW2000 engines and auxiliary power units (APU) on its Boeing 767-300s, 757s and 737-800s. Delta TechOps also provides engineering, maintenance planning and inventory exchange services to the airline.

The new contract includes the above-mentioned services for an additional Boeing 767-300ER, as well as expanded maintenance support for Boeing 757 PW2000 engines, and GTCP331-200 and GTCP 131-9B APUs on aircraft operated by Royal Air Maroc subsidiaries.

“Royal Air Maroc is a valuable customer, and we have enjoyed a wonderful partnership with them during the last four years,â€￾ said Tony Charaf, senior vice president – Technical Operations. “The expansion of this partnership is a clear indicator that our customers are pleased with the value and customer service we provide, and that Delta TechOps is committed to continued growth of our MRO business.â€￾

WebWire

Maybe it's because not all maintenance work is the same and some companies excel at some things and some at others. DL has decided their Tech Ops does engines (incl APUs) and components very well and cost effectively but cannot overcome the cost advantage for heavy maintenance work with any better quality (and I'm sure there are those that would say there are quality problems w/ some of the contracted HMVs). Yes, I would rather see as many jobs as possible done by well-paid Americans but that isn't the reality. As long as some carriers have access to lower paid workers either because they don't have senior workers or they subcontract some work overseas, then the remaining carriers have to find some kind of work to balance that cost advantage out. Compared with what some other legacy carriers are doing, I think DL is taking the most reasonable approach to retaining as much competency in specific areas like maintenance while managing costs and ensuring acceptable levels of quality. Apparently other airlines believe still does many things very well.

Yesireee. Nothing like having our lives rest in the hands of lower paid employees.

I'll rest easy with this knowledge as we bounce around these windy, March skies.

Should I feel less safe knowing that you don't make as much as you once did? I presume you work for DL.

Should I feel less safe knowing that you don't make as much as you once did? I presume you work for DL.
Your right WT. The FAA has DL listed as a distressed carrier. I am sure all those extra line inspections are for no real reason. When you destroy morale, your employees will reflect it. These distractions are not exactly condusive to a safe operating environment.

Should I feel less safe knowing that you don't make as much as you once did?

I would.. You should see the type of help they have hired off the street to take over the Mechanics they are laying off. Lets just say, they are not the sharpest tool in the shed

No. You should feel less safe knowing that I left DL to preserve my income and improve my morale.

In fact, a lot of competent mechanics and avionics technicians have left and are leaving to preserve their incomes and get away from the pressures of cutbacks and pay reductions.

Sure, we left great technicians behind but we also left a lot of dead wood behind too.

What you should presume is the likelyhood that even more technicians who are still working at DL will also leave. The dead wood will remain behind until they become the majority.

It is the dead wood who will or are making decisions that affect airworthiness that you need to fear. They'll (the dead wood)stick around no matter how low their pay goes because they have nowhere else to go. You should be concerned about what people make. It matters.

Latest posts