DEN-PSP, Another New RJ Route

Cosmo

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
United announced this morning that it would resume serving the DEN-PSP route with RJs on December 13. But somewhat unusually, the route will be served by both Air Wisconsin AND SkyWest, with one and two daily nonstop round trips, respectively. And this will be a year-round route, not just seasonal. IIRC, this route has had seasonal mainline service in the past.
Here''s the press release.

Good news. I was wondering when Denver would have Palm Springs service.

And by the way, Air Wisconsin AND Skywest flying on the same route is nothing unusual.

They do this on 95% of the United Express flights out of DEN.

Not sure why.

Regards

The route sharing between UAx carries seems to peak and ebb. Some possible reasons include:

--eventual removal of SKWY EM2's
--AWAC D38's freed up for DEN routes now that ORD is all-jet
--Desire to not give any hub 100% to one UAx airline

Here's how DEN looks for the mid-August schedule:

Shared between SKWY and AWAC
DRO
FAT
GJT
MTJ
RAP

SKWY only
MEM
BNA
MSO

AWAC only
ASE
BIS
BZN
CID
COS
ELP
EUG
YEG
FAR
GUC
JAC
LNK
MSN
MKE
MLI
PSC
PIA
FSD
SGF
HDN
EGE

I think DEN-PSP is the only RJ route shared between two UAx carriers at Denver (other shared routes are SKWY EM2's). This is a fairly common thing at ORD, however, so it probably doesn't signal anything in particular.

----------------
On 8/27/2002 11:52:41 AM

I think DEN-PSP is the only RJ route shared between two UAx carriers at Denver (other shared routes are SKWY EM2's). This is a fairly common thing at ORD, however, so it probably doesn't signal anything in particular.

----------------

FAT-DEN is a RJ route (it would be a long ride in an EM2 [;)] )and had been all Skywest until this month. There had been 3 Skywest RJs earlier this year, then it dropped to 2, and as of Aug 7 became 2 Skywest/1 AWAC.

Check next year's schedule from DEN.

You will see almost all United Express routes will be shared by both Air Wisconsin and Skywest.

A few will remain such as COS will still be only Air Wisconsin.

Some routes are also transitioning completely to Skywest such as Pasco (PSC).

But I'd say 95% of the Express routes next year will be operated by both Skywest and Air Wisconsin.

It isn't really a bad idea if you ask me.

Regards

----------------
On 8/27/2002 6:34:07 PM

Check next year's schedule from DEN.

You will see almost all United Express routes will be shared by both Air Wisconsin and Skywest.

A few will remain such as COS will still be only Air Wisconsin.

Some routes are also transitioning completely to Skywest such as Pasco (PSC).

But I'd say 95% of the Express routes next year will be operated by both Skywest and Air Wisconsin.

Here's what United's site says for flights from Denver on February 11, 2002 for the 34 markets I found with some UA* service:

Both SKWY and AWAC (11)
BZN
DRO
FAR
GJT
ELP
PSP
MTJ
RAP
SBA
SGF
HDN

SKYW only (5)
FAT
MEM
MSO
BNA
PSC

AWAC only (18)
ASE
BIL
BIS
CID
COS
YEG
EUG
GUC
JAC
LNK
MSN
MKE
MLI
OMA
PIA
FSD
EGE
YWG

Significantly more overlap than now, but still lots to go.

----------------
On 8/27/2002 11:19:31 PM

Here's what United's site says for flights from Denver on February 11, 2002 for the 34 markets I found with some UA* service:
----------------
The post you are quoting says look at next year but you wrote 2002. Is the list 2002 or 2003. It is hard for me to tell which year this list is for since DEN-FAT was all Skywest earlier this year.
[:)]

----------------
On 8/28/2002 10:47:38 AM

----------------
On 8/27/2002 11:19:31 PM

----------------
The post you are quoting says look at next year but you wrote 2002. Is the list 2002 or 2003. It is hard for me to tell which year this list is for since DEN-FAT was all Skywest earlier this year.
[:)]
----------------

Rats....next year is 2003 already, isn't it??

Yes, the post refers to *Next* February, which is indeed 2003. About six months from now.