DFW TSA and AA employee in trouble

Where else does the TSA require its workers to pay for parking? I presume airline workers don't have to pay for parking at DFW.

Reactions: 1 person
in our station i do know wn pays for the tags and then takes it out of their employees... but for the other air carriers in my sta the airlines pay and just hand out our tags yrly.. and its my understanding the tag itself is over 100 and the gate reader tag alone is 450 higher

These may have been for a "premium" lot that is within waking distance of the terminal.

My old station used to be $25/mo. per employee, but NW was only charged if the person actually swiped in/out. That's how we were able to park at airfreight for so many years instead. WN employees had it payroll deducted the same as Robbed notes for BWI. Others had to pay out of pocket.

My current station charges $5 per vehicle per year, which is nice.

Every station I worked at the company paid for the parking permit. I wonder if this is going to be a trend in the immediate future for the company to transfer their expenses to the employee. They seem to have done this already in other areas.

Same here. My current city does it by vehicle, and not employee, so we cover the 2nd one, but I think you're right. One more cost shifted to the employee.

Nothing like having to pay to come to work... <_<

These may have been for a "premium" lot that is within waking distance of the terminal.

For AA employees the parking hang tag is paid for by the company and is good for any designated employee lot, except the one next to Terminal D (it's in the open ground where Terminal F would be if there were a Terminal F, but it is not "walking distance.) It used to be included, but recently there was a series of emails recently saying that anyone parking there would have to have a Fast Pass sticker (good on toll roads in the DFW area) to continue parking there. FastPass stickers are not free.

This is the first I had heard that TSA employees have to pay for parking. They park in the same lots that AA employees park in.

As far as the investigation of illicit dealing in parking tags? As my aunt in Alabama would have said, "Consider my pearls clutched." Crooked TSA or AA employees? Whoever heard of such a thing? :lol:

Are you guys kidding? My building 24 hour access parking is currently $425/month, we do have the option of taking it out on a pretax basis though. I mean seriously don't you guys also expect the company to launder your work clothes too?

Josh

Maybe you need to pick a better employer... Or since you have the option of Mass Transit, take that. Can't imagine an MBTA pass costing that much...

At any rate, some airports have similar transit access/options... others not so much...

As for work clothes, mine are being laundered as I type this. In my basement...

Reactions: 4 people
I walk to work but that's pretty much standard in this area. I know some MDs and SMDs negotiate that into their comp but why should your employer be expected to bear the cost of getting you to your place of employment?

Josh

I know some MDs and SMDs negotiate that into their comp but why should your employer be expected to bear the cost of getting you to your place of employment?
Because it can be negotiated into our compensation. Why should that privilege be limited to management?

Reactions: 1 person
I find absolutely no excuse why an airport employee should ever have to pay for his/her own parking, regardless of what happens in other areas.

Airports generally are more remote, have less mass transit, and airline employees work shifts that make mass transit not a viable option. Further, crew members are often expected to show up at practically any hour of the day or night and leave their cars for days at a time.

And let's not forget that most airline employees don't make what many downtown workers make.

The only justifiable reason I see for airline employees to pay for parking is if the work in a downtown (or business district) building and generally work daytime hours. Some airlines even pay for parking for their employees in downtown/business district buildings but not during normal business hours (M-F 8-6).

And there are companies that provide mass transit benefits - either free or reduced - in part because there are often tax incentives to the companies to get cars off the road when they can.

In some cities where mass transit is available, it can be a far faster option that parking in a remote lot and riding a bus.

Kev,
are you saying you personally have ot pay for the 2nd tag for the 2nd car but the first one is free? Can you switch one tag between cars?

Reactions: 2 people
I have been at a few locations during my time, and have never had to pay a cent for any parking or transportation to and from the employee lot. I have never known of any other airline employees including WN to pass the cost on either. Keep in mind, that other than airports you park just outside of your jobsite as well. When I tell people that I have to be in the parking lot a half an hour prior to starting work in order to catch a bus, they are shocked. Just about everywhere that I have worked, you piss away a hour per day just geting to and from work once you are on location.

Latest posts