Diversity

Eric:

I understand that budgets are not easy to forecast. My original question, was what does Diversity cost? I expected for someone to reply with a simple "Last years budget was xxx dollars. That would have been simple enough. But many have posted nothing here but a bunch of BS that now has me and most likely plenty of those reading questioning the operation of the company as a whole. Your review of the process is rather informative.
---------------------------------
"I don't know of any corporation which budgets for anticipated discrimination lawsuits, or for handling grievances specifically related to diversity. The person who handles an overtime grievance is the same person who would handle a diversity grievance. You simply budget to have a person available to work the grievances when they occur."

So if you budget for a employee to handle these proceadures then you have starting place. But I see your point.
-------------------------------

"Diversity training for management is typically done at the same time as other HR related training for attendance/lost time control, PPC, and other company rules/regs. Sure, you could break out a line item for each of those if you want to, but the fact is that those are all HR related, so why segment the budget? I know that maintenance takes it to an extreme. They budget and track everything down to the tail number that it is used on. It's a little harder to do that with HR."

With the company in the position that it is financially, I as a employee expect those watching over the company to account for evey penny. As a stock holder, I expect every effort on the companies part to protect my investment.
Budget tracking my be a little hard to do but how do you answer for all of the misc. expense? How do you do taxes? And in Bankruptcy how do you account for these misc. items before a judge?

Flagship U. now there was an appropriate response. We own it and in brings in revenue.....

----------------------------
"Buck, you're more than welcome to volunteer to sit thru a budget build. It has become a continual process the past two years"

I am not saying I could do your job and not asking you to do mine. It would seem that I have angered a few here over this subject. Some have become angered because of the word "Diversity" and others because they believe I am attacking their job. I just wanted to know in round numbers (even from last years budget) what Diversity cost. I am going to start a new thread. Are you ready?

"Buck, you're more than welcome to volunteer to sit thru a budget build. It has become a continual process the past two years"

I am not saying I could do your job and not asking you to do mine. It would seem that I have angered a few here over this subject. Some have become angered because of the word "Diversity" and others because they believe I am attacking their job. I just wanted to know in round numbers (even from last years budget) what Diversity cost. I am going to start a new thread. Are you ready?

Buck: since "diversity" is a code word for not-like-me; go to the terminal and count all the passengers that don't fit into the category that you place yourself, then add 30-40% for those whose differentiation is not obvious.

Now subtract that number from the total passengers boarded, the reduction in business is the cost of not protecting diversity rights.

A few years back when the Mexican government for some reason decided that Zionism is racism and therefore Israel is racist etc. etc., their tourist season was very quiet, Jews and those offended by those statements went elsewhere.

The US tourist industry has apparently lost upward of 66 million visitors because of the attitude of the present administration, which in many ways is doing in the public arena what diversity training is supposed to prevent in the private, business environment.

I can understand that you are happier surrounded by only people like you, we all like to see our reflections and not just in the mirror. Business does not work that way. Money does not stink, even though we may have to consider the source at times.

You are moving on, so will I. Before you start flaming remember that "simple questions" usually are seen as having an agenda, and your postings lead me to belief that you usually do have an agenda. I am glad to catch the last seat on this bus. Bye.

No flaming....

What was the tabulated cost of Diversity from last years budget? What did it cost American Airlines to operate this program last year?

P.S.

I am looking for a dollar figure.......

I am not looking for reasons we have it or not.

j7915

Make I ask where you get the figure "upwards of 66 million" and due to what policies of the current administration? I may be out of it a little but I neverr heard of any policy to scare away tourists, I thought the global terrorists had something to do with it.

Is this the Diversity program in action. We have to keep people on staff to handle these issues?

Reuters
UPDATE - US fines American Airlines $1.2 million
Tuesday March 4, 6:30 pm ET

WASHINGTON, March 4 (Reuters) - The Transportation Department fined AMR Corp.'s (NYSE:AMR - News) American Airlines unit $1.2 million on Tuesday to settle allegations it mistreated disabled passengers.

The agency's Aviation Enforcement Office said the world's biggest airline violated federal rules for failing to provide proper wheelchair assistance.

Regulators said they uncovered a "significant number" of apparent violations, including claims that some passengers experienced long delays in getting wheelchairs.

The government also said other passengers complained of being left alone in wheelchairs or aboard aircraft for extended periods.

The government has agreed to let American use $1.1 million of the fine amount to improve services to the disabled. The company said it had already spent or had committed that amount to specific initiatives.

For instance, it had developed new training programs and had spent $300,000 to improve disabled services at its St. Louis hub.

The company will pay the remaining $100,000 of the fine in installments.

Bella Goren, American's vice president for customer service planning, said that any service failure is unacceptable but defended the carrier's efforts to accommodate disabled passengers. She said the complaint record is very low.

"Our focus for more than a decade has been to provide customers with disabilities a safe, dignified and comfortable experience on our airline," Goren said.

Hang onto your hat...this ain't squat compared to what's just around the corner!

With regards to the DOT settlement...as much as I loathe to say it, I don't think the wheelchair-bound should be flying, they are a hinderance from the moment they enter the airport and an extra burden to flight crews. Unfortunately, if an aircraft ever ends up in distress where emergency evacuation becomes necessary, those wheelchair pax are going to be the last people anyone is going to pay attention to.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/5/2003 3:47:02 AM WingNaPrayer wrote:

Hang onto your hat...this ain't squat compared to what's just around the corner!

With regards to the DOT settlement...as much as I loathe to say it, I don't think the wheelchair-bound should be flying, they are a hinderance from the moment they enter the airport and an extra burden to flight crews. Unfortunately, if an aircraft ever ends up in distress where emergency evacuation becomes necessary, those wheelchair pax are going to be the last people anyone is going to pay attention to.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Go tell that to Perry Mason!

The act of discriminating against someone who is different based on their handicapped status is just as wrong as those acts against individuals who are diverse.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/4/2003 11:54:13 PM Buck wrote:

Is this the Diversity program in action. We have to keep people on staff to handle these issues?

----------------
[/blockquote]

They both start with "D", but "Disability" and "Diversity" are two different things. We have a single analyst who monitors disability compliance, so we probably spend less than $60K per year salary and benefits on this. Satisfied?