DL loses dog LAX-TPA

this must be a mistake - in someone's world DL does no wrong - I bet it was another airline and the customer is confused

Reactions: 3 people
shhh  hope   we don't want to spoil it now   

jcw  I was thinking the same thing too but in that cnn report  the man did say Never will fly DL again   

NW had a very well structured pet program. DL decided it wasn't necessary, then found it necessary to adopt bits and pieces over the ensuing next few years. I'd like to see it fully restored.

Wouldn't be 100% fool-proof of course, but would go a long way toward avoiding these sorts of incidents...

Uh oh Kevin, we are going to get a new manifesto now, probably 10,000 words or more. Thanks, LOL!

I have a feeling that American Airlines must have lost more dogs and this was an anomoly caused by the inadequate use of Southwest not dancing around the 717's and raising their thumbs to the great widget since DL is using 717's better. Don't know what UA did wrong, but I'm sure we'll hear/read about in 2,0000 words or more.

Let's be nice, you know he is researching every available resource to find other airlines that have lost animals/people... So, I'll start, US lost a dog in CLT a number of years ago, every night either FedEx or UPS would report a dog sitting on the side of 23.... He was caught about a month later.... You guys need to tread lightly, the DAL thread is about to cause him to have a stroke....

Reactions: 2 people
airplanes are designed for human travel, not pets.

Animals unfortunately die and are mishandled.

It happens on all airlines.

I think we have discussed before but Alaska has the worst ratio of animal deaths of any US airline.

animal deaths are published as part of the Air Travel Consumer report issued each month by the DOT.

I've shipped my animal one time on a flight (two flights actually since he made an interline connection). He arrived healthy but was scared to death of the experience.

My strategy is to find the best people to care him at home when I am gone and then to look forward to the excitement on his face when I return.

Reactions: 1 person
If it were any other airline, we'd be hearing about how the ASPCA needs to get involved and do a thorough investigation.

I will agree with Rachel on one aspect -- I won't ever ship my pets by air. If they have to go with us, we drive. My wife had to do the necropsy write-ups when AA had animals die in transit, and most of the time, it was an animal than wasn't suited for travel. I don't doubt that mine would probably be fine, but I'm not taking the risk or putting them thru a traumatic experience.

Reactions: 1 person
WorldTraveler said:
airplanes are designed for human travel, not pets.

Animals unfortunately die and are mishandled.

It happens on all airlines.

I think we have discussed before but Alaska has the worst ratio of animal deaths of any US airline.

animal deaths are published as part of the Air Travel Consumer report issued each month by the DOT.

I've shipped my animal one time on a flight (two flights actually since he made an interline connection). He arrived healthy but was scared to death of the experience.

My strategy is to find the best people to care him at home when I am gone and then to look forward to the excitement on his face when I return.
well thats completely false but okay. 

Kev3188 said:
NW had a very well structured pet program. DL decided it wasn't necessary, then found it necessary to adopt bits and pieces over the ensuing next few years. I'd like to see it fully restored.

Wouldn't be 100% fool-proof of course, but would go a long way toward avoiding these sorts of incidents...
Kev, you know better. NW did nothing better than Delta. No one does anything better than Delta. Delta could shoot your dog and thats great....cause its Delta. 

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

eolesen said:
If it were any other airline, we'd be hearing about how the ASPCA needs to get involved and do a thorough investigation.

I will agree with Rachel on one aspect -- I won't ever ship my pets by air. If they have to go with us, we drive. My wife had to do the necropsy write-ups when AA had animals die in transit, and most of the time, it was an animal than wasn't suited for travel. I don't doubt that mine would probably be fine, but I'm not taking the risk or putting them thru a traumatic experience.
This. Never fly with pets. 

Reactions: 4 people
show us some data - you do know where to find it, don't you - that shows that my statement is false.

No one said that NW didn't do a good job with pets or that DL couldn't do better.

DL is somewhere in the middle of the industry.

truth be told is that passenger airlines really don't want to handle pets or unaccompanied minors at all but do it because everyone else does.

WorldTraveler said:
show us some data - you do know where to find it, don't you - that shows that my statement is false.

No one said that NW didn't do a good job with pets or that DL couldn't do better.

DL is somewhere in the middle of the industry.

truth be told is that passenger airlines really don't want to handle pets or unaccompanied minors at all but do it because everyone else does.
uh okay thats easy, how man people does FedEx or UPS fly around? 

Airplanes came about to drop bombs and deliver mail..... the person moving aspect came later. 

Reactions: 2 people
precisely. UPS tried moving people and decided it wasn't for them.

passenger airlines don't try to do everything that cargo carriers do.