DL to fly NRT-PDX/HNL/GUM

Thanks for the links.

Here's a follow up question:

Why would thy have to reapply for existing frequencies? Do they have to wait for a single operating certificate from the FAA before "inheriting" NW's traffic rights?

Why would thy have to reapply for existing frequencies? Do they have to wait for a single operating certificate from the FAA before "inheriting" NW's traffic rights?

I think that's exactly right. Until the SOC is issued, frequencies to limited entry destinations like Japan must be flown by the carrier holding those frequencies.

Given that there are plenty of USA-Japan frequencies available, smart move by DL to attempt to grab these temporarily until the SOC is obtained. At least DL is offering to return them once DL is named the designated incumbent carrier.

This raises a question of mine: Several posts here and on other sites like Flyertalk are excited about the repainting of NW 747s and their use on ATL-NRT. Delta isn't gonna move these 744s to its operating certificate (at least I assume). Does NW's authority to Japan as an incumbent permit it to substitute for DL on DL's NRT route? Or will we see another filing by NW asking the DOT for permission to take over the DL ATL-NRT route?

Thanks for the links.

Here's a follow up question:

this is how I understand the situation(and stand corrected), I think they would have to wait..
while both companies are operating under different certificates at this time. in order for one airline to obtain a route flown by the other airline(that has the authority) they must apply for that right prior to the S.O.C..
for example, NW could possibly restart JFK-NRT utilizing a 744 and operate that under the existing certificate(which is not happening at this time), since DAL will utilize a 777 prior to the S.O.C. JFK-NRT they must apply for the right to fly that route simply because it is currently operated by another airline(even though it is being merged) under a seperate certificate?

maybe possibly it is a formality to apply and secure any International route currently flown by one airline NW and transfer the route to DAL due to the name change? its just "paperwork" in a way?

even though a a new paint scheme will be on the 744 on the ATL-JFK route it is still considered NW(with a modified brand) due to the seperate certificate. for example, maybe it was an route that is in limbo and not being used such as DCA-ATL-NRT that just isnt being utilized but they held the priority previously? and an application is not necessary or is? applying to transfer a route to another city(that currently exist in another) would seem to be not the same as actually applying for an entirely new route, that was previously non-existent.

even if a route was previously flown prior, if the route is not utilized at all(remains dormant) for a certain amount of time, I would also imagine it would be necessary to re-apply simply for the reason the route would revert back to "available status" giving an opportunity to another carrier to apply. that may be a reason why PDX-NRT is necessary for approval even though NW operates that route under the separate certificate?

Latest posts

Back