DL to open new line maintenance

WorldTraveler

Corn Field
Dec 5, 2003
I understand that DL is going to open MIA and PDX to line maintenance - I would presume again..... who can validate the facts and how can this trend be pushed through the network and to other workgroups?

A couple observations - both MIA and PDX are int'l stations - PDX w/ 2 and MIA w/ 1 transoceanic flight per day (MIA-LHR beginning soon). Is the ETOPS check that costly if DL had to have it done by a contractor or is it necessary for ETOPS purposes to be done in-house?
Also, are there any other int'l stations (PIT?) that have int'l flying but not in-house line maintenance?

While PDX has a relatively small domestic operation in the winter at least, it is busy in the summer and DL is aggressively growing MIA domestically. Int'l flights might help in DL's decision to add DL line maintenance but it would seem there has to be a decent domestic operation as well to justify the costs.

Any other trends that can be seen that could be used to justify additional line maintenance cities as well as adding more DL people in other departments in other cities?

Separately, a question for those in the know.

I know PDX was closed awhile ago, but the senioirty list still shows 2 AMT's. I assumed it was open before this latest announcement. What's the story there? Are/were these guys on layoff? Outdated list?

Separately, a question for those in the know.

I know PDX was closed awhile ago, but the senioirty list still shows 2 AMT's. I assumed it was open before this latest announcement. What's the story there? Are/were these guys on layoff? Outdated list?

I don't know Kev...MEM had Swissport doing the MX but we had a scab who lived in MEM who cut a deal to work at the station who was original NW..I will admit he is a good mechanic but lazy and I was friends with him until he scabbed. Maybe they had a deal like that in PDX