Does US Actually Have a Boarding Policy?

Fly Guy,

Then that contract is an example of one of the many things that prevent the company from operating more efficiently. Agents SHOULD have the ability to board a little early if necessary and they feel it will take longer.

Everyone tells the customer that this ain't the same business, well the contracts have to be changed as well to reflect that as well.......The times have changed.

For what it's worth, AA and CO board as needed...I have seen both begin boarding 45 minutes ahead of departure on domestic flights--in one case there were 11 wheelchairs.

You have to adapt...and change the way you operate.

I have changed--I no longer fly US, and have even tried WN..something that I swore I'd never do. US told me they no longer value my business, I was happy to oblige them (actions speak louder than words).

That is certainly an issue that can be negotiated, a collective bargaining agreement can, and should, be changed to meet the needs of a new environment. Perhaps more flexible boarding times in exchange for F/A's being paid a full hourly wage during the boarding process instead of just a buck-90 an hour per diem.

BTW, I hope that you are getting a better value for your money with your new carrier of choice. I'm sorry US lost your business, but understand why you made the decision you did. Fly Safe!

FlyGuyBWI,

Thank you for your kind words. I am happy where I am now, with AA and CO primarily, but I have actually tried WN, and they did not stink.

I just got back to ISP from BWI actually, and as I walked out of the secure area, past the ticket counter, a number of my ISP US Air friends flagged me down and gave me a warm greeting, and we chatted a while...it was like a family reunion.

Although I no longer fly US I remain dedicated to getting the Sand Castle to start treating both employees and customers better, and to really trying to help keep the place afloat. I just can't give my hard earned money to a group of management who values my business so little....

This evening was another example of efficient boarding at WN. They announce the procedures well in advance of boarding, and people line up in position when their groups are called. It's a little like the sequence number on US boarding passes--which in most cases indicate the order in which you checked in. Yesterday I was A6, today I was A2 (yes Business Select has its advantages, and is a great idea).

However, if nothing else, WN boarding is consistent. I have now been on 4 flights with them, and it is always the same. Also, interesting to note, each flight was ABSOLUTELY full....imagine ISP flights full!!!

Time will tell, but as each day passes I fear the worst for US---I wonder when they will wake up and realize they can't keep doing what they're doing....

My BEST to you all....

However, if nothing else, WN boarding is consistent. I have now been on 4 flights with them, and it is always the same.
The global success of MacDonald's has been attributed numerous times to their "consistency" in all aspects of their operation, from the time you enter their location to the time you finish your experience.

Thanks for sticking up for the people making up US. Maybe, eventually, before US is forced to close doors, someone in the executive suite will have a creative moment and finally understand and implement that about which you are talking.

Thank you, both Art and PB.

It's called Sarcasm my friend, in case you were from Japan you would not know sarcasm at all...

Here's the definition...

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
sar·casm Audio Help (sär'kÄ￾z'É™m) Pronunciation Key
n.

1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
3. The use of sarcasm. See Synonyms at wit1.

Here's another twist to US's boarding procedures: LAX-CLT this morning:

First Class
Rows 20-26
"Oops....I meant Chairman's & Platinum." :rolleyes:
Swarms of people with Zone 2 boarding pass all rushed the gate at the same time. This is when I boarded (I was Zone 1), so I did not hear the rest of the boarding calls.

I've seen the boarding processes at many of the domestic carriers out there and they all have many problems. Just look at the various frequent traveler website where people complain (and rightfully so) about the boarding at DL, UA, NW, etc. etc. Its not just a US issue. I'd like to see the boarding in theory handled like it is at UA. First Class/Business Class/top tier FF (only their top most level), then zone 1 (all other elites including partner elites), and all other zones. No automatic early boarding for anybody than those already listed. If you need special assistance it has to be requested with the gate agent. At least doing that prevents the pre-board with the 10 family members, families with children that are teenagers, etc. etc.