Dysfunctional Amr

I knew that would be coming sooner or later but thats OK. Its letters like that one that reinforce the general public's feeling that we're just a bunch of overindulged spoiled brats. "The world owes me, The world owes me!!!"

Kyle said:
We have messaged the original topic starter. Our position is that this is some really personal information with names attached and we want to confirm with the topic starter first and ensure that identities are protected.
This, and more, is all available for the world to see on the Association Of Flight Attendants, AFL-CIO Representing The Professional Flight Attendants Of American Eagle website.

I also found this latest update on another aviation bulletin board:
Moderators note- if the other website wishes to publish all of the personal info that is their choice, if you want to publish a link, that is your choice, but we would prefer not to have the personal information published on this site. Thanks for your cooperation.

scot said:
Moderators note- if the other website wishes to publish all of the personal info that is their choice, if you want to publish a link, that is your choice, but we would prefer not to have the personal information published on this site. Thanks for your cooperation.
scot,

As you wish. In the embryonic days of these boards, moderators here deleted just about any hyperlink to Smilin' Jack's site (fear of competition? :unsure: ). Since you have given me your tacit permission to do so, here goes: Dysfunctional AMR.

Another reminder of what all AMR employees are up against....The right thing to do and AMR just dont seem to be found in the same sentence...ever!! Hats off to SW..a testement to their success and corporate culture..I feel for the f/a and her family at AE...
...remember this is the company that has cut off all mental health benefits to surviving family members(children) of the crews of flt 11 and 77....need anyone say more?

L1011Ret said:
The lack of compassion ... is due to the F/A? Must be something I missed.
Where's the lack of compassion? When she was notified of the tragedy she called AE and immediatly received A9 "free confirmed seats" for her and her family so she could get to SEA.

Dear American Eagle Employees:

My name is Debra McDougald and I would like to thank all of you for your support during this trying time. I am overwhelmed to know that there are so many of you standing together and by my side to make things right. You are my Brothers and Sisters in Unity and I am extremely grateful.

As I am sure everyone knows, it is not an easy thing to have your personal life exposed. However when I took the time to really think about my experience, I felt that it was necessary. While it was a difficult decision to go public with my situation, I felt it necessary because of all of the other employees at American Eagle whom have suffered so much because of the lack of compassion shown to them in their time of need. After hearing so many stories of similar incidents since my story went public, I confirmed that I have made the right choice.

I have only one goal. That is to ensure that no other employee of this airline will ever have to endure the hardships that I have had to deal with. Call it my motherly instinct, but, I really do care about my fellow coworkers and I am prepared to do whatever it takes to make sure that this, indeed, will never happen again.

I initially wrote a letter telling my union my terrible ordeal. I knew that there was nothing “contractuallyâ€￾ that could be done, but I wanted to the Union to know that I was mistreated and I didn’t want to just sit back and not do anything about it. I want the problem fixed, not brushed under the rug._The Flight Service Managers are here to help us. While they may not have to demonstrate sympathy for our personal issues, they should, at the very least, show empathy.

It really is a sad situation when all your asking for, is an apology, acknowledge that an error in judgement was made and look into the situation so no one else has this happen to them. Instead of this simple solution, we face inaccurate emails being sent out and attempts to discredit myself, along with the Union that represents and speaks for me._

I am looking forward to putting all of this behind me and having the ability to move on. However, I do not want this these issues to go unanswered. I want my Union to represent me. My Union speaks for me and I support them 100 percent._

In Solidarity,
Debra McDougald
American Eagle Airlines
Chicago Based Flight Attendant

Submitted By:
[email protected]

Reuters

American Eagle calls for mediation in labor talks

Wednesday September 17, 2:12 pm ET
DALLAS, Sept 17 (Reuters) - American Eagle, the regional jet carrier affiliated with American Airlines, said on Wednesday it has applied for federal mediation to help resolve a long-standing contract negotiation with the union that represents the airline's flight attendants.

American Eagle, a unit of American's AMR Corp. (NYSE:AMR - News), filed the application for federal mediation last week in order to help resolve contract talks that have been going on for 28 months, said Lisa Bailey, a spokeswoman for American Eagle.

"We feel like we have not made the progress that we would have liked to," Bailey said.

The union that represents some 1,200 flight attendants at American Eagle said the airline asked the U.S. National Mediation Board to step in after a dispute over what it says was callous treatment by the airline toward a flight attendant who was facing a family crisis.

Bailey said the contract talks and the dispute over the treatment of the flight attendant are separate issues.

The main stumbling blocks in the talks have been work rules and compensation.

American Eagle Management Files for Mediation in Flight Attendant Negotiations

Management Breaks from Cooperative Spirit in Negotiations over Rift after Callous Mistreatment of a Flight Attendant

DALLAS, TX - American Eagle management has asked the National Mediation Board to intervene in its negotiations with the airline's flight attendants, represented by the Association of Flight Attendants, AFL-CIO, not because contract talks have broken down, but because management was unhappy that the union exposed the callous mistreatment of a flight attendant attempting to fly to the funeral of her murdered son.

Eagle management's Sept. 12 filing came as a surprise. The parties were discussing a joint application for mediation, which would have continued the spirit of cooperation shown at the negotiating table to date. Usually mediation is sought when talks break down. But Eagle cited the union's exposure of management's heartless treatment of a flight attendant, as the reason contract mediation is needed. The flight attendant was trying to fly to her son's funeral but was denied personal emergency travel on flights that had empty seats, Southwest Airlines provided emergency travel to the flight attendant in need after Eagle refused.

The full story of Eagle management's treatment of flight attendant Debra McDougald, who was attempting to fly home to attend the funeral of her slain son, can be viewed at http://www.afa-ae-web.org , click the Sept. 9, 2003 link.

Eagle management's action stunned AFA Master Executive Council President Bill Hennessey, who wrote in a letter to Eagle Vice President Rose Doria, that Eagle management's action, "constitutes nothing more than a pathetic attempt to divert attention from American Eagle's pitiful reaction to a flight attendant's grave personal tragedy. This is a tactic I have unfortunately come to expect from this company."

If mediated contract talks fail to produce an agreement, the NMB declares an impasse in negotiations, and either party refuses to submit open issues to arbitration, a 30-day countdown to self-help will begin. Self-help for flight attendants means CHAOSâ„¢.

CHAOS stands for Create Havoc Around our System, and includes random, unannounced work stoppages. Flight attendants may strike any flight, at any time, leaving management unable to respond, and passengers sitting in airports, rather than getting to their destinations.

More than 36,000 flight attendants join together to form AFA, the world's largest flight attendant union, including the 1,200 flight attendants at American Eagle. For more information, visit http://www.afa-ae-web.org .