Eagle Pilot facing drinking charges

Imagolfer

Advanced
Sep 30, 2002
This is not what American/Eagle needs right now.

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/2149867/detail.h..._08530104222003

FORT WORTH, Texas -- The captain of American Eagle Flight 3796 headed to Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport from Grand Rapids, Mich, was pulled from the plane early Tuesday morning because several passengers said they smelled alcohol on his breath and notified authorities at Gerald Ford International Airport, according to WOOD-TV in Grand Rapids.

The Transportation Security Administration called local law enforcement personnel who approached the pilot while he was at the aircraft, American Eagle''s Lisa Bailey said.

Local law enforcement administered a preliminary Breathalyzer test, which inicated a positive reading and came up .12 percent, three times the legal limit allowed by the Federal Aviation Administration, according to one report.

American Eagle said it will administer its own Breathalyzer test and an investigation has been opened. Bailey said, in the past, the tests administered by local law enforcement and the company have delivered different results.

The captain is now in the custody of the local American Eagle station manager. Another American Eagle captain who was on the flight took over as captain and took the flight to Dallas. It arrived around 8:30 a.m. at gate B-7.

There were 36 passengers on board the plane that was scheduled to leave Grand Rapids at 6 a.m.

The TSA has notified the local Federal Aviation Administration officials who are now also involved in the investigation.

It is uncertain whether the captain involved was a man or woman or how much experience he or she had.

It should be a federal felony to even attempt to fly
an aircraft on drugs or alcohol.Maybe a mandatory 5 years
on ice will help.

The real crime here is forcing customers to fly between DFW and Grand Rapids MI in an RJ. So much for short distant flights

Mr. Man,
What would you have them do? Fly an empty airplane in order to save jobs at AA? I know that the cost is cheaper at AE but that is the name of the game now.

I wonder if his/her union will be able to protect their job, it''s pretty hard to get fired with your union protection. That''s why unions are outdated.

I''m sure somehow this pilot''s drinking mistake will be blamed by the unions on management.

Management obviously did something wrong to make this guy drink, so Carty must pay!

----------------
On 4/22/2003 4:17:17 PM Imagolfer wrote:

I wonder if his/her union will be able to protect their job, it''s pretty hard to get fired with your union protection. That''s why unions are outdated.

----------------​
He is entitled to have a fair hearing, with union representation, prior to being discharged. If the evidence musters scrutiny, he will be fired. If there are irregularities, fabricated evidence and false testimony, he may keep his job.

If you were charged with wrongdoing, rightly or wrongly, wouldn''t you want someone to make sure that you are not judged by a kangaroo court?

----------------
On 4/22/2003 1:54:38 PM ualflynhi wrote:

It should be a federal felony to even attempt to fly
an aircraft on drugs or alcohol.Maybe a mandatory 5 years
on ice will help.

----------------​
It is.

----------------
On 4/22/2003 3:19:02 PM WingNaPrayer wrote:

I''m surprised that with all the BS going on at AMR, that every employee isn''t hitting the bottle very hard lately!
----------------​

I guess with that logic, we shouldn''t have firearms in the cockpit either.

----------------
On 4/22/2003 2:53:23 PM mrman wrote:

The real crime here is forcing customers to fly between DFW and Grand Rapids MI in an RJ. So much for short distant flights

----------------​
OK - 2+47 GRR to DFW or 4 + 12 thru ORD (including running between gates at ORD) I''d take the non-stop ANY day!