Employee Group's Losses

jbragg476

Advanced
Feb 27, 2004
What exactly does each employee group stand to lose in the next round of consessions? I was wondering if we can get some specific contractual things that each work group will be expected to give up posted. Wel all know besides job losses and pay cuts, benefits, etc.

But let's here from people in their respective positions and what they expect to lose. ( AFA people talking about what they expect to give up... CWA talking about what they expect to give up, etc)

I know that CWA will be getting ticket readers and more kiosks and loss of jobs that way. Pilots and F/A's have to give more flying and productivity. Not sure what is expected of IAM and others. I know there is way more, but let's all post what we expect... Just to see....

I know that NWA is now going to allow Skycaps to check people in using kiosks and will be getting rid of agents because of this.... guess US Air will start that soon too? There goes customer service

Another 750 Kiosk soldiers system wide..
No date for this...to be added, but I'll bet it's real soon :down:

Wow. You could tour the entire East Coast and some of the midwest on "US Airways" and never interact with a single US Airways employee. Buy your ticket online, check your bag with a skycap, check in with a kiosk, get on XYZ airlines operating as US Airways Express.

No wonder we have so few complaints for mainline US Airways employees- you'd be hard pressed to find one.

Skycaps are currently giving out boarding passes in several cities (they generate preassigned seats or random seats given by the computer, not specific seats). CARS are US answer to non agents at the kiosks. They are US employees represented by CWA, but make much less than agents and are only supposed to be able to assist with kiosk checkin, queue, and help assist customers when needed (umnr/wheelchairs, etc). This provides (IMO) a better product than what some of the skycaps we have could do. I have seen some of their customer service skills and cringe. Granted, the same could happen with agents, but the company would have better control over taking corrective action if needed.

Also with the addition of gate readers for boarding cards, there is talk of more cuts. I am curious though how 1 agent is going to be able to man the checkin desk AND assist at the readers. I watched UA in DEN this past week with 4 agents at the gate and they needed 1 person at the reader just to tell people (over and over) that TED goes in first and to unjam the reader when someone inserted their card upside down. They also needed someone there to take care of the "at home" printed boarding passes that wouldnt fit through the reader.
We currently can do with 2 agents at a gate (and we do all the time in TPA), but dont see how they can get it down to 1 without taking away all oversales (canx and giving out seats), upgrades (no time gotta board), moving people around, lost tickets, clearing standbys, reseating, etc in addition to all the other questions and problems we often get. Maybe they mean 1 agent at the gate door and 1 at the podium (of course doing away with the agent who has to run tickets) which we havent had the luxury of except in rare cases in many months. :shock: I would love to hear just exactly what they expect to occur with the gate readers installed.

KT, to bad you don't jumpseat on all the other airlines and see just how bad Uair treat customers and thier employess. U is by far the worst.

hammerhead said:
KT, to bad you don't jumpseat on all the other airlines and see just how bad Uair treat customers and thier employess. U is by far the worst.
Hammerhead, I don't know what exactly you are referring to on this thread, regarding Jumpseating. I don't see where I posted ANYTHING on this thread at all, let alone jumpseating. Secondly, I happen to be a U employee and I happen to be a Flight Attendant, and I happen NOT to treat U employees or customers badly. What the hell are you on today, already?????? ;)

Light Years said:
Wow. You could tour the entire East Coast and some of the midwest on "US Airways" and never interact with a single US Airways employee. Buy your ticket online, check your bag with a skycap, check in with a kiosk, get on XYZ airlines operating as US Airways Express.

No wonder we have so few complaints for mainline US Airways employees- you'd be hard pressed to find one.
by removing your cynicism, your statement becomes true.

hammerhead said:
Ladies and gentlemen, I told you, its Whitney Houston on her crack... ;)

Hammerhead, if you've had a bad experience on U (particularly if your an employee?) you must have a bad attitude. I've flown on all but one of the Big Six and most of the LCCs, and mainline/WO US Airways have great service. I think most of our customers would agree.

Now, for KT and I's sake, will you please somehow relate your bashing back to the topic of this thread? None of us are quite sure what your outburst has to do with anything. Your last post also needs some explaining, I'm not really sure what you mean. Thanks. :ph34r: