Express Jet

Here is a link to the route map.

Express Jet Route Map

Mostly point to point flying. I was surprised to see they will literally be coast to coast on day 1. I expected them to begin by region. It will be interesting to watch. I hope they are successful.

United Express tried a smaller but similar RJ experiment in San Antonio last year. They tried mid-sized, unserved markets out of SAT like MSY, TUL, OKC, ABQ, COS, and a couple of others (in fact the cities were nearly the same as XJET is planning). Everybody trumpeted the service (airport, city officials, businesses, etc.). But the service disappeared totally after just 3 months.

United Express' load factor on these flights was only 48%, which is not good enough for RJ service. Passengers probably passed up non-stop service for WN direct flights which were significantly cheaper.

The only difference with XJet will be the addition of better service (snacks and IFE) and many more flights. Otherwise, the planes are the same. I don't think this is going to work. It is too hard to lure passengers off of frequent one-stop or connections on WN and other carriers with huge frequent flyer programs.

I agree with formeraa on this one.

IIRC, the UAX SAT experiment was not the typical capacity purchase deal initiated by the major airline but was rather a venture by the commuter airline where the commuter took all the risk - and even had the UAX brand and frequent flyer mile program to help it succeed. And it still failed miserably. No way will XJT be able to overcome, IMO.

All it would take is one step from WN to end xpress jet. :unsure:

Of Course convention wisdom was it would only take one step by a major to end WN, didn't work out that way. Point to point on routes with no competion, it might just work, especially when revenue from Continental will still be there from the other 75% of their airplanes.

Interesting experiment indeed. Avoiding FlyI's hub-and-spoke failure, to do this. Something, I've always believed, the RJs were meant to do...just that the airlines never bothered to follow that line on thinking. Some of the routes seem a bit too thin for any service, but who knows.

The TSA/UAX p2p routes had the problem of being too few to survive the failure of some. XJet is doing a fairly significant route network right away, so a few stragglers here and there can be adjusted without destroying the whole network. With TSA, a coule routes not performing literally meant half their network. What are you going to do? Keep the operation going with just a handful of routes or pull the whole thing?

Would like to see them eventually grow into some larger secondary airports near the big markets to spur growth. Most of these cities don't have a lot of nonstop service to these destinations, so it would only help boost traffic.

One thing they'll need to overcome is the problem of having no strong brand identity (yet) in the markets they'll be serving. Folks may have heard of Continental Express, but not know of ExpressJet.

They need to have good advertising - somethng catchy and upbeat. Like this:

(Note: You -must- click the link below, wait for the music to load, then follow along. Don't read it without the music.

Hit it, Boys

Fly XJet

Tune: I Will Survive
Gloria Gaynor

(Instrumental Intro)

A brand new airline's comin'
To an airport close to you
Yes - we are called ExpressJet Airlines
And we'll change your point of view
We're tryin' out some new ideas
We're gonna change the way you fly
We're workin' hard to earn your business
Come onboard - give us a try

Come Fly XJet
And then you'll see
We're doin' lots of brand new things
To make your flyin' hassle-free
With radio & meals & leather seats
Our service is sublime
And, we will get you there
With nonstop flights
We're gonna save you time

Come fly XJet
Mile after mile
We're always movin'
And improvin' things
We're gonna make you smile
So give -us- a call whenever
You are ready to unwind
You can ditch the bus
Take off with us
And leave your world behind

We are XJet
We're on the go
And we're hoping that you'll join us
So together we can grow
You'll enjoy our down-home service
And convenient schedules, too
Let us be your hometown airline
At XJet - we're here for you

(XJet)

(Instrumental Interlude)

We can fly you lots of places
We can take you day or night
To Louisville & Birmingham
So come and a take an XJet flight
Jacksonville, Spokane, New Orleans,
Places that you wanna go
To Sacramento, Tulsa, Fresno
Tuscon, San Antonio

We are XJet
Look where we go
We're flyin' coast to coast
From Raleigh-Durham to Ontario
Our prices really are competitive
We'll give you a great deal
Fly to Oklahoma City
Omaha & Bakersfield

We are XJet
We're on your side
To Corpus Christi, San Diego
Destinations nationwide
Kansas City, Albuquerque
Austin, Boise, Monterey,
Make a reservation
Pack your bags
You'll soon be on your way

Come fly XJet
We're changin' things
All across the land
From El Paso
To Colorado Springs
You'll like flyin' XJet style
And our hospitality
At XJet - we'll make your flyin' fun
The way it used to be...

(We're different.....)

Come be our guest
Come fly the best
Come join our
Happy faces
Flyin' places
All throughout the West
Fly for business or for pleasure
We go almost anywhere
So just take a flight
We'll treat you right
Let XJet take you there

Come fly XJet
We really care -
Let us pamper you
That's what we do
Great service in the air
Book your flight today
Give us the chance
And you'll discover why
Come & see why everybody's
Choosin' XJet when they fly

(Why XJet?)
(Try XJet)
(Give us a try)
(Fly XJet)

Good Luck ExpressJet

:up:
One thing they'll need to overcome is the problem of having no strong brand identity (yet) in the markets they'll be serving. Folks may have heard of Continental Express, but not know of ExpressJet.

They need to have good advertising - somethng catchy and upbeat. Like this:

(Note: You -must- click the link below, wait for the music to load, then follow along. Don't read it without the music.

Hit it, Boys

Fly XJet

Tune: I Will Survive
Gloria Gaynor

(Instrumental Intro)

A brand new airline's comin'
To an airport close to you
Yes - we are called ExpressJet Airlines
And we'll change your point of view
We're tryin' out some new ideas
We're gonna change the way you fly
We're workin' hard to earn your business
Come onboard - give us a try

Come Fly XJet
And then you'll see
We're doin' lots of brand new things
To make your flyin' hassle-free
With radio & meals & leather seats
Our service is sublime
And, we will get you there
With nonstop flights
We're gonna save you time

Come fly XJet
Mile after mile
We're always movin'
And improvin' things
We're gonna make you smile
So give -us- a call whenever
You are ready to unwind
You can ditch the bus
Take off with us
And leave your world behind

We are XJet
We're on the go
And we're hoping that you'll join us
So together we can grow
You'll enjoy our down-home service
And convenient schedules, too
Let us be your hometown airline
At XJet - we're here for you

(XJet)

(Instrumental Interlude)

We can fly you lots of places
We can take you day or night
To Louisville & Birmingham
So come and a take an XJet flight
Jacksonville, Spokane, New Orleans,
Places that you wanna go
To Sacramento, Tulsa, Fresno
Tuscon, San Antonio

We are XJet
Look where we go
We're flyin' coast to coast
From Raleigh-Durham to Ontario
Our prices really are competitive
We'll give you a great deal
Fly to Oklahoma City
Omaha & Bakersfield

We are XJet
We're on your side
To Corpus Christi, San Diego
Destinations nationwide
Kansas City, Albuquerque
Austin, Boise, Monterey,
Make a reservation
Pack your bags
You'll soon be on your way

Come fly XJet
We're changin' things
All across the land
From El Paso
To Colorado Springs
You'll like flyin' XJet style
And our hospitality
At XJet - we'll make your flyin' fun
The way it used to be...

(We're different.....)

Come be our guest
Come fly the best
Come join our
Happy faces
Flyin' places
All throughout the West
Fly for business or for pleasure
We go almost anywhere
So just take a flight
We'll treat you right
Let XJet take you there

Come fly XJet
We really care -
Let us pamper you
That's what we do
Great service in the air
Book your flight today
Give us the chance
And you'll discover why
Come & see why everybody's
Choosin' XJet when they fly

(Why XJet?)
(Try XJet)
(Give us a try)
(Fly XJet)

Good Luck ExpressJet
:up: BRAVO!!!!!

Of Course convention wisdom was it would only take one step by a major to end WN, didn't work out that way. Point to point on routes with no competion, it might just work, especially when revenue from Continental will still be there from the other 75% of their airplanes.

Well, they are in arbitration with CO right now. Passengers on BHM-SAT may not be a major moneymaker for CO today (through IAH), but if this new service offers a non-stop that eliminates all of CO's business on that route (or any other combinations you want to put together that result in business being pulled from CO mainline), I don't see CO sitting on the sidelines and wishing them Godspeed.

The TSA/UAX p2p routes had the problem of being too few to survive the failure of some. XJet is doing a fairly significant route network right away, so a few stragglers here and there can be adjusted without destroying the whole network. With TSA, a coule routes not performing literally meant half their network. What are you going to do? Keep the operation going with just a handful of routes or pull the whole thing?

Would like to see them eventually grow into some larger secondary airports near the big markets to spur growth. Most of these cities don't have a lot of nonstop service to these destinations, so it would only help boost traffic.

I must respectfully disagree with your assessment that the TSA/UAX were "too few to survive the failure of some". The new XJET routes out of SAT duplicate most of the TSA routes. How on earth is XJET going to survive there -- if TSA couldn't survive there? TSA could have easily cut back service in SAT to only the profitable routes. They just would have cut back on staffing and reduce the number of gates that were being used.

That being said, I would love to see service between secondary airports be successful. The fares are rising between many cities with less and less service. If XJET flew from Deer Valley Airport in Phoenix to Seattle, I would gladly pay $300-$350 for RJ service.

Anyone have any scoop on Express Jet? Whats up with boardings and service? Anyone know?

As of last week, it looked like 100% completion factor and 97% DOT on-time performance to-date. As for loads, I haven't heard any specific numbers lately. Anecdotally, some flights are almost empty; some are over-booked or near capacity. ONT was the initial crew base; SAT opened this month.

I'm just a stupid airplane driver, so I'll stay out of the will-it-succeed discussions. It's in my financial interest for it to thrive, but only time will tell.

For what it's worth, the rumor is that that the BELF for the branded op is around 30% due to the revenue being generated by the CAL and DAL CPAs and the charter op.