Profit Sharing Almost Definite..

Point one is hard to argue with. :(1) your EAST side sold you out by agreeing to "share" with the WEST. Point two is hard to swalow (2)the west did not ask for your profit sharing.given your statements in point three.3)Both EAST and WEST will take "ANY" monies that the airline will give to them. Which is human nature for beings that have been shafted out of their pay and benefits previously. It is "THEM" (management and the union) not the "employee".

When Unions and management Cooperate with each other the dues paying members need to get out the K-Y and that's why I'm sticking my nose in where frankly it doesn't belong. To me Union Leaders and Company Managers are one in the same, One Theodora Xidas excepted! It's the average Joe or Jane that I side with.

Ref point (2):I have no knowledge that the West asked to "share" the profits that the East's contract provides. Ref point (3): Have you ever heard of anyone telling any company to keep the extra income given by the company that would not result in finance taking the money back at a later date? I think not, because it is a windfall and if the company puts it in your check, you will cash the check.

Until the EAST and WEST can put aside the petty squabbling, the COMPANY wins every time.

IMHO the COMPANY is going to drag its heels and do nothing until it is forced to act by all employees (which isn't likely) and two years from now, we will be in the same situation.

I thought your MECP approached ours about giving you are profit sharing. That was stated earlier. I have no dealings with MECP. Also, I don't want any money that is due YOU or at anyone elses expense. But would your return any money if it were given? Your statement speaks volumes about your character.I am a character and I have character, it is all in the eyes of the beholder. I truly hope most do not follow your sentiment.Has nothing to do with hope, only human nature. I have already had some great RON's with Westies, front and back, and look forward to more.I hope you have many more great experiences. They did not share your values, and that was refreshing.Refreshing, maybe or realistic,only time will tell.

I fail to see what my statement has to do about my character or values. It was a statement about human nature responding to the influences put upon people that feel they have been wronged which is based upon more than 40 years of aviation experience. We are not even in the same barganing group. I agreed that the West shouldn't share with the contractual profiet sharing rights of the East, yet some how my character and values have been questioned. Go figure, that is why I love life. It is always so different than you exect.

I would like to see EAST and WEST get on the same page, plain and simple. Not likely to happen IMHO. That being said, the company wins and the employee does not.

The beginning of 1995 brought major changes to the airline. Franke continued the cost-cutting that he started during the bankruptcy, with aircraft catering completely outsourced on January 17 - along with the closure of the Colorado Springs reservations center. Before this time, food preparation and hot meal delivery were outsourced, and cold snacks, beverages, and sandwiches were provisioned by America West personnel. Maintenance was the next to go, with heavy maintenance (C-check and above) outsourced on December 2.

Operational problems reared their ugly head throughout the summer. Mechanical problems increased, unfavorable press ensued, and employee stress reached a breaking point. Union issues were becoming more and more common, for the flight attendant contract was still open. Mechanics elected the Teamsters as their representative, and were negotiating their first contract. Dispatchers had just concluded their first contract on April 13.

A well-publicized FAA fine was imposed on the airline in June. The record $5 million fine was imposed over maintenance issues, primarily oversight and changes in recommended procedures. America West admitted no wrongdoing, and half the fine was forgiven after a restructuring of the maintenance oversight procedures. Eventually, this would lead to yet another change in heavy maintenance contractors.

February 17, 2000 would prove to be an omen for the year. Eagle, the automated dispatch system, went down for over five hours. At the time, America West had no backup dispatch system, leading to over 280 cancellations over three days. Passengers were left stranded around the system, boosting the industry-high complaint rate. America West was rapidly becoming known as "America Worst" for its customer service and operational problems.

The relationship with the FAA was poor, leading to further restrictions on growth until the FAA was assured maintenance could handle the extra aircraft. The airline was not in good shape.

Changes needed to happen, and fast. Doug Parker was elected president of the airline in May, replacing Mook, and given the mandate to fix the airline. Immediate changes were put into place, focusing again on maintenance. The line maintenance staff was doubled, flight schedules were reduced to allow additional spare aircraft and more time to maintain the fleet, new systems installed, and new maintenance bases established in San Diego and Baltimore. Management began looking at the causes of problems and trying to solve them at the root, rather than fix the problems after they happened.

25 AUG 2000
The FAA threatens to ground America West`s planes unless the airline proves within a week that it has completed maintenance on a quarter of its fleet. (AP)

Exactly. What does that have to do with the here and now?? Never mind, I'll answer for you..........the past is the past.........east and west and in between.

You're not going to answer the questions I posed so........what's the use. :unsure:

The difference is you learn for your experiences so you don't repeat them and strive to do better.

Somehow, and i don't know all the details, the bankruptcy court implemented it. Each workgroup gets a percentage of the whole pie. The flight attendants, AFA as an entire group, gets a lump sum share of the pie. That lump sum is then split amongst each flight attendant based upon your W-2 earnings for the 2006 year. If you are like me and are a reserve on the east side, even with 6 years of seniority, you don't fly. Therefore my W-2 earnings are terrible meaning I won't get hardly any profit sharing. However, if you are a senior flight attendant on the east, 20 years or more, you can still work the same amount I do because you can call out sick for your trips and still get paid increasing your W-2 earnings. Therefore you will get a large profit sharing check even though I had to fly your trips. Oh well, they paid their dues and put in their time I guess, some day I'll have that seniority!

So those of us sitting on call 24 hours a day 20 hours a month for a little more than $1000 a month won't see any of it? And I assume this is one of the instances where MAA will not count, because that would benefit us and not them?

I was really looking forward to the profit sharing. I guess we haven't contributed enough over the years. :(

The beginning of 1995 brought major changes to the airline. Franke continued the cost-cutting that he started during the bankruptcy, with aircraft catering completely outsourced on January 17 - along with the closure of the Colorado Springs reservations center. Before this time, food preparation and hot meal delivery were outsourced, and cold snacks, beverages, and sandwiches were provisioned by America West personnel. Maintenance was the next to go, with heavy maintenance (C-check and above) outsourced on December 2.

Operational problems reared their ugly head throughout the summer. Mechanical problems increased, unfavorable press ensued, and employee stress reached a breaking point. Union issues were becoming more and more common, for the flight attendant contract was still open. Mechanics elected the Teamsters as their representative, and were negotiating their first contract. Dispatchers had just concluded their first contract on April 13.

A well-publicized FAA fine was imposed on the airline in June. The record $5 million fine was imposed over maintenance issues, primarily oversight and changes in recommended procedures. America West admitted no wrongdoing, and half the fine was forgiven after a restructuring of the maintenance oversight procedures. Eventually, this would lead to yet another change in heavy maintenance contractors.

February 17, 2000 would prove to be an omen for the year. Eagle, the automated dispatch system, went down for over five hours. At the time, America West had no backup dispatch system, leading to over 280 cancellations over three days. Passengers were left stranded around the system, boosting the industry-high complaint rate. America West was rapidly becoming known as "America Worst" for its customer service and operational problems.

The relationship with the FAA was poor, leading to further restrictions on growth until the FAA was assured maintenance could handle the extra aircraft. The airline was not in good shape.

Changes needed to happen, and fast. Doug Parker was elected president of the airline in May, replacing Mook, and given the mandate to fix the airline. Immediate changes were put into place, focusing again on maintenance. The line maintenance staff was doubled, flight schedules were reduced to allow additional spare aircraft and more time to maintain the fleet, new systems installed, and new maintenance bases established in San Diego and Baltimore. Management began looking at the causes of problems and trying to solve them at the root, rather than fix the problems after they happened.

25 AUG 2000
The FAA threatens to ground America West`s planes unless the airline proves within a week that it has completed maintenance on a quarter of its fleet. (AP)

700UW, You are simply IAM brainwashed...a puppet. Unions have their place in our society and are needed in certain situations. West Tech-Ops had ample opportunity to bring in the IBT but chose not to for the reasons Airwoman mentioned (thanks Airwoman :D ). IBT respected the general consensus and did not try to force their way in (props to the IBT) General atmosphere in Tech-Ops was a union wasn't needed, especially with DP and the bonus checks that rolled in. So the merger comes to pass and the IAM lays they wood on the west Tech-Ops folks. Good job IAM...NOT!

If you want to reverse the perception you are IAM brainwashed, please provide something negative the IAM did...less they be perfect :rolleyes:

Amen, Eric luv to fish...... 700, please respond, and don't quote that Pittsburgh rag article you keep posting here, if you need to quote something use Boyd aviation as far as the merger and unions go.
All was good here in PHX until we are having these CBA's shoved down our throat and doing just about everything the east way.

Back