FA Union Dues increase-retroactive

Everyone complains until the union either defends you or saves your butt. Here lately this company has been on a massive witch hunt. I for one am glad to have a buffer between myself and the sandflees.

So who do you sell your soul to? I'm not trying to be funny or anything, but I really want to know. In my working career, I've been in a union for close to 25 years. The years I wasn't in a union, I never saw anything but a petty raise, longer hours, forced overtime, lousy working conditions, etc.

Of course that is not to say that management didn't have its favorites...the @$$ kissers...that didn't have to endure the bulk of the workload and got reasonable raises.

So enlighten me about non-union workers. I think that once your 'usefulness' is up, so is your employment...unless you grease some hands.

Well, I have skills, certifications and experience in my field. I can go to work doing what I do and negotiate my own salary, and have to rely on performance rather than seniority. If I do well, I get paid more, if not I lose my job. If I am unhappy, I find another workplace. I make my decisions, I don't have to pay to a collective that may spend my money on things I don't agree with (like political action committees) and I enjoy that.

If you want to be in a union, go for it. But, the majority of us in this world aren't in one and are not interested in being in one ever.

Actually what they have to pay for is the latest FAILED attempt (this is the third one?) to organize Delta. That ain't cheap. They actually pay a staff to do that (hand chosen by one Ms. Pat Friend... they're her goonies over at NW who helped organize from the inside and then FAILED to win an election, so in usual Pat Friend style she just hires them, gives them a salary and per diem to "work at national" and pulls them of the NW line. That's why your dues are going up. Hunker down, because it's going to get expensive and nasty during the merger. Oh, and yes, now AFA is trying to organize jetBlue.

Actually what they have to pay for is the latest FAILED attempt (this is the third one?) to organize Delta. That ain't cheap. They actually pay a staff to do that (hand chosen by one Ms. Pat Friend... they're her goonies over at NW who helped organize from the inside and then FAILED to win an election, so in usual Pat Friend style she just hires them, gives them a salary and per diem to "work at national" and pulls them of the NW line. That's why your dues are going up. Hunker down, because it's going to get expensive and nasty during the merger. Oh, and yes, now AFA is trying to organize jetBlue.
Do you have any idea what you are talking about? I'd love to know the "source" of the above information...which I know for a fact to be untrue! BTW Jetblue Flight Attendants have been signing NMB cards for well over a year now. If the Jetblue activist can get enough cards signed then the AFA will file for an election.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? I'd love to know the "source" of the above information...which I know for a fact to be untrue! BTW Jetblue Flight Attendants have been signing NMB cards for well over a year now. If the Jetblue activist can get enough cards signed then the AFA will file for an election.
What part of it is untrue? I stand by my statements.

Oh, and how long should it take to get signatures from jetBlue? Don't they still have well under 1,000 FAs? Seems to me that AFA continues to throw good money after bad... and it's all being carried on the backs of the dues-paying members, who have seen their wages decreased exponentially yet their dues increase.

What part of it is untrue? I stand by my statements.

Oh, and how long should it take to get signatures from jetBlue? Don't they still have well under 1,000 FAs? Seems to me that AFA continues to throw good money after bad... and it's all being carried on the backs of the dues-paying members, who have seen their wages decreased exponentially yet their dues increase.
Have you ever been to the international office or had anything to do with mobilizing? The part about Pat Friend is totally incorrect. Mobilizing is under the guidance of the International Vice President. All international officers are elected by the AFA Board of Directors. The BOD is made up of all the LEC Presidents. They are they highest governing body of the AFA. Do you know why this is? Because the LEC presidents are elected DIRECTLY by the membership!

The Jetblue campaign as with all mobilizing campaigns has a structure made up of Jetblue Flight Attendants. The campaign is run for and by Jetblue FA's.

Do you know how much of your dues dollars are spent each month on mobilization? I should say how much of an active dues paying members dues dollars are spent. You are not an active flight attendant so none of your money goes toward this. $1.00 a month. This can be used for both internal mobilization at each member airline or for external mobilization.

As for the part about AFA continuing to throw good money away I'll remind you of Article I Section C of the AFA Constitution & Bylaws. Section C is the objectives of the AFA #1. To unite all cabin crew members in the airline industry regardless of age, color, disability, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression who are eligible for membership. So how is money being thrown away on mobilizing when thats what we have said we would do in our Constitution and Bylaws?

We are always looking for the next generation of leaders for the AFA. I hope you will get involved when you come back to flying and make a difference.

Have you ever been to the international office or had anything to do with mobilizing? The part about Pat Friend is totally incorrect. Mobilizing is under the guidance of the International Vice President. All international officers are elected by the AFA Board of Directors. The BOD is made up of all the LEC Presidents. They are they highest governing body of the AFA. Do you know why this is? Because the LEC presidents are elected DIRECTLY by the membership!

The Jetblue campaign as with all mobilizing campaigns has a structure made up of Jetblue Flight Attendants. The campaign is run for and by Jetblue FA's.

Do you know how much of your dues dollars are spent each month on mobilization? I should say how much of an active dues paying members dues dollars are spent. You are not an active flight attendant so none of your money goes toward this. $1.00 a month. This can be used for both internal mobilization at each member airline or for external mobilization.

As for the part about AFA continuing to throw good money away I'll remind you of Article I Section C of the AFA Constitution & Bylaws. Section C is the objectives of the AFA #1. To unite all cabin crew members in the airline industry regardless of age, color, disability, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression who are eligible for membership. So how is money being thrown away on mobilizing when thats what we have said we would do in our Constitution and Bylaws?

We are always looking for the next generation of leaders for the AFA. I hope you will get involved when you come back to flying and make a difference.

To quote GolfNovember here on USAV

"WURD UP MAN"

Keep it up...whatever you do at AFA *winks*...Keep it up!

Defending Ms Friend is at best a dubious position based on my observations and some anecdotal information I've compiled over the years. Now I'm not privy to the behind the curtain stuff but to me at least she is a shining example of what's wrong with Labor in the modern era.

That said if AFA members feel as I do and Ms Friend is still in office then I submit that perhaps a brief look in the mirror will show one of the people responsible for that. It's easy to sit in the galley and pontificate about how the union is a POS or Doug Parker is a jerk. However it's far more difficult to get up off your assets and get up and do something. Trust me on this.

A union is only as good as it's weakest member. Ask yourself if you are the weakest link?
What? I was not defending anyone. I just stated that Pat has less a hand in mobilization that DCAFlyer had implied. I am not on the AFA BOD, just a very involved Flight Attendant.

Well, I have skills, certifications and experience in my field. I can go to work doing what I do and negotiate my own salary, and have to rely on performance rather than seniority. If I do well, I get paid more, if not I lose my job. If I am unhappy, I find another workplace. I make my decisions, I don't have to pay to a collective that may spend my money on things I don't agree with (like political action committees) and I enjoy that.

If you want to be in a union, go for it. But, the majority of us in this world aren't in one and are not interested in being in one ever.
You elect to be employed at WILL. Union members have job security
You elect to NOT have a collective voice. Union members have a collective voice
The union effort is worth it in the passengers service class and craft. Years with out a voice when experience with pay freezes cutbacks in benefits downsizing res center and station closing rumors of mergers full-timers downgraded to part-time agent doing the same work paid different pay and benefits or no benefits at all. A union contract ensures that management recognizes the value of your class and craft. September 2004 management insists in bankruptcy court that USAirway agents pay be cut to 13.09hr top out America West pay scale. CWA call for a passengers service strike vote to back up the bargaining team 90% in favor for a strike. This is the first passengers service strike vote at any airline history. IT HAS A STRONG EFFECT. Management backs off their America West pay demands

http://www.usaviation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42499

Thanks for your insight and information. I disagree that the majority "...in this world" aren't in a union or interested in being in one. European unions are famous for shutting down all forms of transportation and having national general strikes that shut entire countries.

If you rely on your performance rather than seniority, to me, that seems like any newer employee with more 'umph' than you can replace you. Fear not, because whatever you can do, someone else can do better. The salary you negotiate, someone can negotiate cheaper. You're delusional if you think I speak nonsense.

Unions are what they are. They have their goons, reps, and shop stupids. They usually represent those that get screwed in life. Some are lazy and are saved from what they deserve. Others are thankful because their jobs were saved because otherwise management would have dismissed them for one screw up.

I don't always agree with unions and have been f**ked on many of their technicalities. I see a majority of new membership that is becoming dumber and takes things on blind faith...then complain when it comes back and bite them.

But let me give you the reality of MY union...all unions differ. I make over $7 more an hour than a non-union worker doing my job title. My health benefits are cheap whereas a non-union has no benefits or they cost hundreds more. I have a process to go through before I'm fired whereas a non-union would be fired on the spot. I have a great pension. I'm not required to do out-of-title work without an increase in hourly pay. My union dues went from $7 to close to $9 a week, but I'm not complaining.

If non-union works for you, more power to you!