Info About IOR RIF

Skymess

Veteran
Aug 6, 2004
NY
Everyone,

We had a conference call today concerning the changes in flying that
will be occurring this fall. It was not a good call.

According to Crew Resources (CR), even with the VBR's and the Overage
Leaves that were granted, IOR will still be in an overage situation.
There will be an overage of approximately 230+ FAs at IOR beginning
November 1st. CR is planning, at this point, to bring in an
additional 120 jobs to IOR, thus leaving an overage of around 120-125
FAs. These FAs will be subject to a Reduction In Force (RIF). Thus,
they will be returning to the Domestic operation, and have recall
rights back to IOR for 2 years. Additional information on the RIF can
be found on page 539 of your large contract book. The contract is
also available for viewing on the APFA website at apfa.org.

Why?
• The postponement of the Beijing flight
• The 5th ORD-LHR flight will not be returning in the spring, IDF is
=0 A getting a third DFW-LHR
• Equipment substitutions from a 767 to 757 on a couple of European
flights (to be determined)
How does this affect me?

• The bottom 120+ FAs on the IOR seniority list will be subject to
the RIF
• Speakers that are necessary to keep the operation running, will not
be subject to the RIF - they are still determining what speakers will
be kept
• If you served RSV in August, or are serving RSV in September or
October in the INTL operation, you may be required to serve RSV in
November in the Domestic operation, if your seniority warrants
Options

• FAs may voluntarily choose to come back to the Domestic operation
(this may be an option for those FAs that do not want to serve RSV on
International, once the RIF occurs)
• Once the RIF occurs, a FA may transfer to another base, or hold
another Intl proffer, and not lose their recall rights to IOR for 2
years - please see the contract for sepcific language
We were told that there will be an IMA proffer coming up shortly, due
to their increase in South America flying. We are trying to get them
to close out the RIF numbers before the IMA proffer closes, thus
allowing people=2 0to make an educated decision. Also, if the proffer
closes before the RIF numbers come out, it is still not clear if you
would lose your recall rights to IOR (proffering to another base,
before you are subject to the RIF).

These numbers are preliminary, and we should have more information in
the upcoming weeks. Please be patient, and please start planning if
you think you might be subject to the RIF.

We did receive some good news on the Domestic side - the 767 SFO 2 day
will be coming back for sure in November. We will have it for the
winter months, minimum. We are however, losing the MIA 767 turn.

Crew Resources is looking at adding additional flying to ORD to help
with the RIFs that are returning to Domestic. I made it perfectly
clear that we are not interested in additional S80 flying. We would
like to see some more widebody / 757 / 737 flying at ORD. Whether
they take my suggestions into consideration, is another story.

That's it for now - I will update you when I receive additional
information.

In Unity,

Todd & Debbie

Will the RIF list be posted on the Flight Service website when it's compiled? I have a friend--who also posts here on USAviation.com--who is a CM speaker at IOR, but very junior. One bright spot for him...if he is RIF'd to domestic, November is his reserve month, I think.

On a lighter note, the additional flying for ORD-D can't come from STL if they listen to Todd and Debbie. About all we have left is S80 flying. :up: According to AA.com and effective 01NOV, STL (the station) will have two 757s/day to MIA. All other flying to/from STL will be S80. Base manager says that Planning says that will change. We'll see.

Will the RIF list be posted on the Flight Service website when it's compiled? I have a friend--who also posts here on USAviation.com--who is a CM speaker at IOR, but very junior. One bright spot for him...if he is RIF'd to domestic, November is his reserve month, I think.

On a lighter note, the additional flying for ORD-D can't come from STL if they listen to Todd and Debbie. About all we have left is S80 flying. :up: According to AA.com and effective 01NOV, STL (the station) will have two 757s/day to MIA. All other flying to/from STL will be S80. Base manager says that Planning says that will change. We'll see.

Your friend has some very good luck so maybe something better will come up for him.
I remember when he had a juicy reserve trip last year that deadheaded to Paris and deadheaded home from Paris. Crew schedule never caught it and he certainly wasn't telling them. :lol:

He may be crazy (like the rest of us) but he is NOT stoopid! :lol:

One of my newhire classmates who is also at SLT had a similar trip like that last year. She was supposed to deadhead to LAX to work an LAX-D trip (on reserve, of course). Due to delays/weather/mechanicals, she MIC'd; so, she was laid over in LAX to deadhead to DFW the next day to work a DFW-D trip. MIC'd again. Deadheaded to LGA...you guessed it. She was gone 3 days, and I think she actually worked one leg from ORD back to STL. That NEVER happens to me.

IDF goes to 3 LHR trips, like you said. 1 777, 2 767's. BOS-I is also going to 3 LHR's a day for summer. All 767's. I didn't believe it when I was told, but it is in RES. 2155, or so, departure. Who knew. BOS-CDG is still there as well, for now.

Yes, ORD will continue to have 4 LHR trips. 90, the 2-day. 86, 46,98. All 777's. No 5th trip, though. Flt. 66 isn't coming back. I wasn't interested to see which city got the ORD trip and which got the LAX trip. I could only see one flt to LAX during the summer. Although, this is still early and they could change their minds still.

Your friend has some very good luck so maybe something better will come up for him.
I remember when he had a juicy reserve trip last year that deadheaded to Paris and deadheaded home from Paris. Crew schedule never caught it and he certainly wasn't telling them. :lol:

Well, your friend just put in for LGA-D in light of the very real possibility of being bumped back to Dom in Nov. Yes, it is my rsv month and I'd rather serve rsv in LGA. My last time on rsv in LGA, I maxed out before the end of the month and got extra days off. More and more people are studying Chinese and wanting to qualify so I'm becoming more and more junior. I don't really mind not flying PVG. I have 2 CDG trips this month, cest ne pas mal! Not bad.
LGA is better for me personally and I can hold purser trigger faster in New York than I ever, ever could at IOR.
Good luck to us all!

Yes, ORD will continue to have 4 LHR trips. 90, the 2-day. 86, 46,98. All 777's. No 5th trip, though. Flt. 66 isn't coming back. I wasn't interested to see which city got the ORD trip and which got the LAX trip. I could only see one flt to LAX during the summer. Although, this is still early and they could change their minds still.
Yea I was surprise to see the 3rd BOS-LHR Flight, maybe it is a ploy for the ATI by saying Oh Well give up 1 BOS-LHR flight.... Just a guess.

Well, your friend just put in for LGA-D in light of the very real possibility of being bumped back to Dom in Nov. Yes, it is my rsv month and I'd rather serve rsv in LGA. My last time on rsv in LGA, I maxed out before the end of the month and got extra days off. More and more people are studying Chinese and wanting to qualify so I'm becoming more and more junior. I don't really mind not flying PVG. I have 2 CDG trips this month, cest ne pas mal! Not bad.
LGA is better for me personally and I can hold purser trigger faster in New York than I ever, ever could at IOR.
Good luck to us all!

Good luck to you B. I may see you there because I'm going to try to fly LGA domestic if we have a fall off again for October and November.

Latest posts